Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dumbest 'electronic' mistake you ever made

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
    I was playing with a cheap psu once and I removed its HEC primary caps that had real capacity 423uF to replace them with Teapo LXK 200V 470uF with a real capacity of 490uF.

I plugged the psu to AC, turned it on and everything was ok at first but then started a boiling sound! 1 of the primary caps I had connected backwards!! I was lucky to stop it before the cap exploded. When I touched it after AC disconnection it was hot enough to burn my finger.

Oddly, the cap survived! It didn't vent and its ratings (esr, uF) didn't change. The cap got lucky!

It's the cap on the left.
    Did it's leakage current increase at all?

Not exactly a mistake, but I had an issue with a bad connection in a breadboard before. Had a zener regulator to give a chip about 12V off of a 50V-60V or so bus (low current, hence the inefficient zener regulator). Yep, it worked fine for a bit, then I bumped the thing and the freakin breadboard had a bad contact on the zener diode. Basically, the chip popped it's lid. Shards of epoxy/plastic were implanted in the wall ... now I always wear safety goggles ... LOL.

-Ben
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
      Did it's leakage current increase at all?
      I'm afraid I don't have the equipment to measure that. I'd like to believe that the dielectric layer rebuilt itself.

Comment

Probably not my dumbest one, but the first that comes to mind of recent mishaps:

I had just refurbished one laptop heatsink fan. Dismanteled, cleaned and relubricated `n all this stuff... and then hastily burnt the coil by giving it 12 volts with regulated power supply. Well, I had just priorly tested the sound of some usual case fans of desktop PC which were waiting for their turn. Forgot to adjust it back onto 5V by the time laptop fan got ready.

Conclusion: Always doublecheck your adjustments before pressing any important button. Or simply donĀ“t do cross-tasking near regulated power supply if your equipments are in need of different power.

Comment

my 2 worst were adjusting the focus on a magnavox t991 and laying my arm across the tripler.that took months to heal.
          my 70 elcamino has a fist print in the center of the hood from me getting bit just right with the hei ignition i was installing.i missed all the braces and left a nice print in the hood.
          i still want to find a junk hood and intentionally punch it to see if i can replicate the damage.
          the involuntary reaction is said to do much more damage than the shock.

Comment

While trying to repair this monitor, I rested my hand on the power supply and realized that I forgot to unplug it. My hand touched the metal chassis and the solder joints for the power input plug at the same time.

Comment

The stupidest thing I can remember is frying my MP3 Player when trying to charge it with an old PC PSU.
              I accidentally connected USB connector power pins to 12V instead of 5V.

Comment

Originally posted by ddscentral View Post
                The stupidest thing I can remember is frying my MP3 Player when trying to charge it with an old PC PSU.
                I accidentally connected USB connector power pins to 12V instead of 5V.
                That sucks

Originally posted by lti View Post
                While trying to repair this monitor, I rested my hand on the power supply and realized that I forgot to unplug it. My hand touched the metal chassis and the solder joints for the power input plug at the same time.
                LOL, I bet you had to change your underwear after that!
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Got too close to a mot output, That hurt lots.

voltage regulator on breadboard common lead disconnected allowing 19v into micro controller and lcd micro controller still works but lcd got cooked.
                  My pc
                  CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                  MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                  RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                  PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                  GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

i was trying to get the screen out of a nokia 3310 when i striped a cople of screws so i proceeded to throw it on the ground to try and separate the case, well, it bounced back into my face and chipped a tooth. dont mess with the 3310!
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Dumbest electronic mistake? What about the time I replaced the spark plug wires on my parents' 1977 Chevrolet? It was a V-8 engine with a distributor and electronic ignition (HEI, no points).

The new wires were "off" by one position on the distributor (I have no idea how this happened). You had to keep your foot on the gas at all times or the engine would stall. I think we rotated the distributor 1/8 of a turn to fix it.

Why didn't I replace one spark plug wire at a time? I don't know.

(Thankfully anyone else who knew about it has forgotten the incident or died.) (Yes, I am very, very hard on myself. I never forget my screwups and I try to guard against them EVER happening again.)
                      Last edited by Hondaman; 04-12-2015, 01:17 AM.

Comment

I was adding a new system to a plane once. When terminating a wire, I popped a pin out of the plug to see what type it used and reinserted it in the wrong spot. Inducing a problem into a different system. Luckily it was found in the checkouts. You always test every system that could be disturbed after a modification like that. When they told me about it a few days later, I didn't even remember popping the pin out. Took me about 10 minutes to remember doing it.

People thought I screwed up one time on another one. I was assigned a job I couldn't do. Others were working where I needed to be. I waited all shift and they never finished. So before giving it to the next shift I sat down in the cockpit reading the paperwork one more time. While sitting there I heard a noise in the cabin. I glanced back there but didn't see anyone. Someone else came running up telling me all the oxygen masks dropped in the cabin. Well that explained the noise. They looked at me like I had moved the switch. It was still safety wired. I didn't touch it. They all thought I did, I could see it in their faces. Nobody made the accusation though. I felt bad about giving it to the next shift and they didn't look pleased about having to repack all of them masks. Takes a couple hours to do it. I didn't feel bad too long though, wasn't my fault. I watched the history of the plane to see if it happened again for about a month but it didn't. Just one of those things.
                        sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Well, I've rested my hand on a monitor power supply, it left a few small dots on my hand where I had touched the points. I think I shocked by the voltage coming out of the primary cap, and not the AC input, but it still did shake my hand and made it do weird things. The weird thing is that I sort of liked it. I mean it wasn't something I would do on purpose, but it did make me feel "alive".

Another stupid thing I've done was when I was repairing a cheap laptop power supply. I had gotten two of those for like 2-3$ each off of ebay, and one was working fine, but the other would randomly stop working from time to time. So I popped it open and I found out that the one of the pins of primary cap was lifted, along with a part of the trace. So anyway I fixed that, but the stock LED wasn't very bright and was barely visible with the top cover on, so I decided to replace it. Everything was working well, I was happy. So I had disconnected it and I had began putting it back together, but I was like "Damn, that blue LED I put on there sure looked awesome! I should take a picture.". I pull it out of the plastic case and put it on my workbench, plugged it in and instead of the cool blue LED to turn on, there was a loud boom, the fuse in the fuse box was fried and the power to most of the shop was cut. Turns out I hadn't rolled my solder wire back and it was going across my workbench and I had put the power supply on it... -.- And all of that for a stupid picture...
                          Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

When I was a kid, I was fixing a fan heater with parts from 3 different units I found dumped, in the process I got my hand too close to an element assembly to see if it was heating up: there was no heat, but it was certainly hot!

First and so far the only time I've touched 240v, no desire to do that again, I'm much more careful now...
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

The P-3c has a dual power supply for the central computer. It's mounted in an aluminum box on the bottom of the rack. You had to lay down and take the cover off to check it. They sent two of us to work on it. You always went in pairs when possible, just in case. I got out the digital multimeter, he took the cover off. We got hooked up and it was low. As soon as he got close with the small screw driver, it sent out an arc over his head and to the rack behind him. He let out a yell, I let out a cuss word and jumped up and killed power to it. Then ran over and pulled the breakers. By that time he had backed out of there and was standing up. I asked if he was okay, he said he was and we both started laughing. We sent that one to the shop with a warning to the bench tech it shot a three foot arc. After putting in a new one and adjusting it the computer worked fine. It was loud though, like a lightning strike. Scared the bejeebers out of both of us.
                              sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

It wasn't really anything, but something that wasn't smart. I was taking apart an Acer Aspire One D150, and I was removing the keyboard tray, and I forgot to unplug the power button, and tore the ribbon cable right off of the power button. While trying to fix it, I almost fried the netbook and made smoke come out of the button. I got lucky there.
                                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

most recent was leaving a 40yr old POS Soundesigns receiver running overnight..
                                  Last edited by goontron; 04-17-2015, 01:12 PM.
                                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                    most recent was leaving a 40yr old POS Soundesigns receiver plugged in overnight..
                                    I read that. It popped@5:00 in the morning, scaring the *bad word* out of you.
                                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                      I read that. It popped@5:00 in the morning, scaring the *bad word* out of you.
                                      And blew some some rare as fuck 50yr old zenith speakers...
                                      Last edited by goontron; 04-17-2015, 01:18 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                        And blew some some rare as fuck 50yr old zenith speakers...
                                        Too bad they fried. Can you find replacements?

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Well I have had my fair share of mishaps... I started young with electric... to the age of 3 when my mom said I went very quiet for 2 minutes.... After investigating what I was doing she noticed I had a screwdriver in my hand... and the front AND backbox of a plug socket off the wall... How I didn't get fried I have no idea lol.... My luck did not continue though!..

Multiple times I have picked up a power board after testing and shorted my fingers across the PFC caps! LOL Many little burns from those.

Tested a broken plug socket with my DMM to make sure there was no power after switched the fuse off for (Counter plugs).... DMM says no power.... Unscrew the cables and fit new backbox... go to wire the front on and BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! DMM was faulty and Fukin thing was live.... HA

Making the mistake of asking for help from someone that doesn't listen properly..... Was working on a HPS light ballast and asked someone to switch the unit on WHEN I said so.... They heard "Switch it on" and flicked the switch..... I remember doing a funny kinda dance with my hands gripped tight to the unit before all my muscles locked up on me... friend turned off the power and I instantly let go of the 4KG ballast dropping it on my foot breaking 2 bones!
                                          Last edited by newtothis; 04-17-2015, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X