Tascam us-2x2 blown inputs (noise on signal) help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tascam us-2x2 blown inputs (noise on signal) help

Good day folks. I thought I'd ask for some advice from any potential audio gurus out there on this external sound card, mixer thingy, though this is going to be more of a general discussion about faults that can occur on audio equipment of this kind, since it's otherwise a very specific issue on a very specific piece of hardware, so it's unlikely we'll track it down easily.

The problem is as follows: the chap who brought it in said he damaged it by plugging in the speaker outputs (amplified signal that is) of some tape deck or something to the inputs on the front which normally take a mic or line input. The sound card didn't quite like this apparently since the signal shot into it somehow and damaged something in such way that now I'm getting poor audio quality on both inputs (sounds like sh!t to put it simply) and it gets worse the higher you turn the gain on that channel, plus it peaks out really easily....yeah, good luck figuring out what happened there :|

When used as an USB sound output it works fine, so the issue is not with the output, but the inputs.

This is where general discussions may commence: is there a typical "topology" so to say that mixers/consoles/sound devices with line inputs like these typically follow that would allow us to get even close to the area that got busted ? What would be the first thing to check in this case ? Signal DOES come through, but again sounds very distorted. I took it apart, but of course it's all SMD and doesn't show any signs of physical damage. I can post pictures if need be, but to put it very simply, what I noticed was both channels seem to eventually terminate in an op-amp, which I ASSUME operates as an amplifier and then gets sent off to the main IC or whatever. Other than that, there's some TO19 trannies in there and some electrolytics.... The whole circuit looks symmetrical, so it's got a perfectly even number of components and they're all "mirrored", so say two trannies for one channel, another 2 for the other. 2 caps for the first channel, another 2 for the other....you get the idea...should I dive right in and try replacing that op-amp ? What would excessive input drive damage first in an audio device of this kind ? :| Cheers and thanks...I shall return with pics to at least get an idea of what's in there.
    Wattevah...

Re: Tascam us-2x2 blown inputs (noise on signal) help

does it have input switching ic chips ?

Comment

No, I believe that's done with the toggle switches on the front: they switch between "LINE/MIC" and "INSTRUMENT". There are no ICs on the "front end" of the machine as far as I can tell, other than that op-amp and the trannies. Also, forgot to mention, it's the 2 input model, not the 4 input one.
      Last edited by Dannyx; 03-29-2018, 02:50 PM.
      Wattevah...

Comment

i dont have a schematic so can only guess .
        i might start with looking at data sheet for op amp then checking voltages . if ok maybe get scope out and see where signal starts to go bad .

Comment

for me if something blew the input op-amp, that channel was dead as 'dead air'. Did you probe around with the oscilloscope yet?

Comment

Not having a scope OR a schematic indeed makes this mission impossible....might have to scrap the op-amp idea as CapLeaker pointed out...not a whole lot of active components there, unless the sound chip itself got damaged. That is, provided the sound from the input goes THROUGH it and not just straight "out the back" to the outputs, in which case the IC would be OK/irrelevant to the issue.
            Wattevah...

Comment

It may be that the DAC got damaged. I blew a mike input on a DV9000 many years back because of the same thing. Internal microphones still worked, but one got hissy and distorted, likely the same as you are experiencing now.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Ok, picture time, plus a couple of other things I noticed: the op-amp seems to get hotter than it ought to. I placed my finger on it and I would describe it as hot. Spritzed some isopropyl alcohol on it and it evaporated rather rapidly...

Second, the "signal" light for the second channel wouldn't go off after I first opened up the thing and put it back together, even with the gain control turned all the way down....if I stick a jack into it, it does go off, but if I plug something into the other end of that jack, such as my laptop or any sound source, it comes back on.

There's also some buzzing going on: when you first apply power to the thing, the buzzing doesn't come on right away - it fades in gradually, apparently related to that op-amp heating up. The buzzing goes away if I press my finger on it or flex the board slightly, which is also strange. I can't pinpoint what's causing it. If I turn the gain up about half way, I get all sorts of crackling and popping like "phaser" sort-of noises...I didn't bother to record them since you get the idea - NOT GOOD
                Attached Files
                Wattevah...

Comment

Opamp should not get hot. Replace that first and see how it goes.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Well what do you know ? Replacing the op-amp seems to have solved the issue To my shame, I don't have two 5mm to 3.5mm adapter jacks to properly test it, so I used my only one to feed in the signal from the laptop and then used a mono jack adapter on the headphone socket to at least get a general idea, but the distortion seems to have disappeared and I can now turn up the gain all the way up without it peaking (with nothing plugged in, of course) Cheers guys
                    Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                    X