Alienware LA-C912p Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alienware LA-C912p Issues

I have an alienware motherboard seems to be a problem child. When I first received it, a capacitor on the board was shorted to ground preventing even being able to plug in the charger. Once the cap was replaced it worked great.

...Until later that later that evening it started behaving strangely with issues arising it the following order:
    1. Stating it was charging without actually charging. (Would still boot it either adapter or battery unplugged)
    2. Fans spun at 100% all the time.
    3. I7 6700HQ Cpu would only run at its minimum clock of 800mhz
    4. Near complete short to ground (1-2ohm) returned.

This time when voltage is applied to either of the main inputs, the CPU gets red hot with all mosfets surrounding it getting either warm or hot as well...

Without a schematic or board view available does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Alienware LA-C912p Issues

First, measure again the capacitor which you have replaced to check whether it is shorted or not. Where have you observed the 1-2Ohm resistance?
    Last edited by caspian; 03-28-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

These laptops (along with most, if not all other Dells) automatically throttle the CPU down to minimum if the power adapter is not detected properly. You may have a problem in the adapter cable or jack (if the board is still working right now).
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I also have the same problem. Can you post a picture indicating where is the location of the capacitor? thanks

Comment

Working...
        X