70" LCD TV panel removal tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70" LCD TV panel removal tips

I have removed lots of tv panels but not a good 70" tv panel and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to remove it. I will have 3 of trying to remove the panel put I am afraid of damaging it.

Re: 70" LCD TV panel removal tips

Do you just want to take the panel out from the TV, or you want to disassemble it (to fix the back lights)?

Comment

Re: 70" LCD TV panel removal tips

I would guess he wants to fix the backlight.

Given that i have just done a partially cracked 55" (for cleaning the dust that some other guy who had previously opened it up put in) and got away with it without cracking the panel any worse than it was, here's what i would do:

After you get the metal frame removed and the tabs taped to the panel so as not to damage them, tape the LCD glass wherever possible, to the plastic frame that holds the polarizers in place. Be careful not to tape over any tabs. I used a layer of masking tape over the sides of the screen, then applied regular adhesive tape on top of that, this was done as to not have to clean all the glue residue from the LCD afterwards.

Then unclip the frame (you may have to cut the clips off or use cards and such to keep them from clipping back in, i was able to remove it without cutting the clips, but it wasn't fun), and using rubber gloves, lift the screen from the middle, you will have to put your hands on the inside of the LCD glass to support it but if you will be wearing gloves there will be no problem with fingerprints or smudges. Pulling the screen off complete with the plastic frame as described, will have the frame supporting it at the sides, so you can just grab it from the middle and not worry about any bending or bowing. If you try to grab it from the sides it will bow in the middle and may crack, so don't do that.

For a 70" i think you will definitely need 2 people doing this. I did the 55" by myself but it was a lot of work, and i thought i'd snapped the panel in half at least 10 times... Fortunately i got it back together, and now i have a still-cracked but clean TV.

I wanted to do this one, despite having a slightly cracked panel, because it is the biggest set i have right now and want to hold onto it until i get a better one, and the crack is a weird one - the screen is cracked at the left top side, but the whole area still displays fine, there's just this hairline crack running thru it. I would guess that the crack is in a supporting layer, not in the TFT itself. Lucky.

Or if you can wait a few days, i would totally buy these suction cups: https://youtu.be/s4wNc3hF4JI?t=262, they say they have them for sale. Would make this job a breeze.
      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 03-27-2018, 02:51 AM.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
      X