Gx620 No Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gx620 No Post

Both my manuals for my XFX 8600gt and my PNY 9800gt state that you can plug in monitors, both dvi and d-sub, while the computer is running, and it will detect it and set it to the correct resolution. But, it does say that it is suggested to turn off and unplug the monitor to change monitors while the computer is running.

Comment

You kids don't remember all the problems with this back when PNP was called "Plug n Pray".

If you connect to an older monitor that doesn't have DCC or one where the DCC isn't working properly you can blow out the horizontal/vertical amps in the screen.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

What? Most I have seen only had EEPROM IC seperate from the main controller and supplied with 5V and wired directly to the VGA cable/port on the monitor. If this IC simply pops, then PnP simply goes unoticed or wrong details detected, forcing user to manually set resolution.

But possible to have newer monitors share same EEPROM IC for PnP and their internal settings plus menu user settings for the LCD.

Cheers, Wizad

Comment

Drivers loaded video card putting out some refresh freq.
          Unplug cable and slap it into some monitor that doesn't support that freq -> POW!
          You won't even have time for driver detection routines.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Most new computers have lcd's, and most lcd's will just say that the input is not supported if it is not a supported frequency or resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
              Most new computers have lcd's, and most lcd's will just say that the input is not supported if it is not a supported frequency or resolution.
              So, most new stuff has protective features,, that may or may not always work.

That doesn't change the fact that VGA is not Hot-Swap.

Turning it off before swapping always works.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

I'm gonna drive my car into a wall because the air bag will protect me anyway.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Working...
                X