Samsung SyncMaster 151BM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung SyncMaster 151BM

my brother bought this 15" LCD as untested. seller said he couldn't test it because he doesn't have a power cord for it (3pin butterfly style.. like on some notebook power bricks)..

---
    edit:
    ---

well... guess what? it was dead..

popped it open and thats what i found..:

vented CapXon GL 400V 100uF.
    that cap was shorted. blew the fuses. (those black cylinders next to the power connector)

CapXons on secondary side..

replaced the primary side crapXon with a NCC KMG 400V 100uF and all secondary crapXons with Sanyo WG 16V 1500uF

works fine again
    looks a bit like a widescreen at first sight, but it isnt.
    has VESA mounting holes on the back and a pivot-function,,
    Last edited by Scenic; 11-09-2008, 06:25 PM. Reason: added a pic of that plug..

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 151BM

Very early LCD series, this one should able do SOG.

Good one and how much did you pay for this? Should be less than 30.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

isn't that image horizontally stretched?
      adjustable via monitor's controls?

Comment

paid 5€ (6.40US$)

very early...? not really... Jan. 2002
        i do actually have a much older LCD... Philips Brilliance 4500AX a.k.a. Taxan CrystalVision CV650. 15" 1024x768. made entirely by matsushita (panasonic). silkscreen says 1996 - 1997 (!)

@ i4004: its because i just plugged it into the 2nd VGA port of my graphics card without rebooting. so i could only select "cloning" in the nvidia control panel. and as my main LCD is a 18" one (1280x1024) the samsung only shows a 1024x768 cut-out of my main screen... scrolling with the mouse..

Comment

Yes very early. Slow response and older LCD panel design and extremely expensive back then, think 500 or 600 for a 15". While CRT by same make of samsung for 17" (flat CRT) is about 330. I paid for a fine dot pitch version of samsung 17" in 2004 for 280. Then replaced it (crt aged badly) in march 2007 for 19" samsung LCD at about 330 (latest model then).

LCD speed got murderously fast, resolution improved and cost dramatically went down.

Time changed lot in past 4 years because I repair these LCD made by samsung so I have seen the changes.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

@ Scenic: good recap. Fortunately bad caps didn't damage anything else except themselves

Zandrax
            Have an happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
              Yes very early.
              umm.. if you call that one very early, what do you call that Philips/Taxan/Panasonic LCD i also mentioned...?!

prehistorical!?

@ zandrax: thx

too bad i didn't make after-shots.. forgot to take photos after i finished..

oh and i also forgot to mention that i replaced the fuses, too.. lol

Comment

Hehe.

Interesting LCD nearly decade older. What was used for on what? Back then, LCD was expensive curiousity, unless it is used with specialized applications where design or space does not allow crt monitor.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

@wizard: Hi there. I was wondering if the electronics quality went downhill as the price went down or not? Is there much difference in the expected lifetime of an LCD monitor between brands?
                  I really like CRT tech. It lasts years and years. I don't have confidence on LCD tech.

Comment

I think the quality has gone down because the consumers want cheaper LCDs and the manufacurers are achieving this by using cheaper components and cutting parts that aren't necessary for operation. Look in any monitor included with a Dell and you'll see what I mean .

As for LCD reliability I think the achilles heel of both CRTs and LCDs is the high voltage supply. The flyback transformer and HOT in CRTs and the inverter in LCDs.

If the high voltage elecronics don't fail then the CCFLs dim and even change color towards the end of their life.

Giving people who really put a beating on their old CRT monitors (leaving them on all the time etc). An eye opening realization of the CCFLs lifespan.

I think reliability will go way up when LCDs eventually switch over from CCFL backlights to LEDs.

Alot less heat, no high voltage inverter to worry about, and of course the longer life of LEDs will greatly extend the monitors life.

Of course the cost to manufacture these brighter LEDs will have to come down to make this practical.
                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-11-2008, 12:05 PM.
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

@ Scenic: you did it, that's what matter.

@ Wizard: in late 90's LCDs were more expensive than CRTs, true, and were emloyed mostly in notebooks. Nevertheless filled some niche markets like early All-in-one computers (Lcd-pc) or wall mounted screens (when plasma displays were too impracticable to use). Small B/W had a far bigger market then.

Zandrax
                      Have an happy life.

Comment

Working...
                      X