Macbook Pro A1708 (820-00840-a) Weird problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook Pro A1708 (820-00840-a) Weird problem

Hey guys, i have a weird one, 820-00840 board no water damage, macbook is very clean.

The issue is the when i use the macbook (use the touch pad or typing after 10-30 seconds i have weird graphic glitch at the bottom of the screen,(similar of that white line of the touch IC issue on the iphone 6 Plus) and after that the screen goes black (backlight is still present). When i close the lid and i re open it, image comes back always.
    If i don't touch or use it, it works perfect.
    So i am guessing when there is action there is an issue with something and causes the image to go black.
    I checked hall sensors and resistors, everything is okay. For sure its not the flexgate issue.

I've tried reset SMC - PRAM, also fresh install of MacOs- no change.

Keep in mind when i boot in safe mode - there is no issue at all.

Any suggestions?

Here is a short video of the issue

http://youtube.com/shorts/SCJjD0KrLcA?feature=share
    Last edited by pantsos; 06-11-2021, 09:56 AM.

Re: Macbook Pro A1708 (820-00840-a) Weird problem

Once the display goes dark, take your flashlight (phone) and apply it to the front and sides of the display.

Can you see the graphics still on the display ?

From the backlight flicker, suspecting that you have a backlight fault. Weird that it works in safe mode but perhaps in Safe Mode, the intensity is less?

You can experiment with the backlight at a lower / dim level - dial it down to the lowest setting and see if the display remains active for a longer duration.

Backlight controller is U8400 on this logic board.

Post the voltage @ PPVOUT_S0_LCDBKLT while display remains lit and when display goes dark.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Once the display goes dark, take your flashlight (phone) and apply it to the front and sides of the display.

Can you see the graphics still on the display ?

From the backlight flicker, suspecting that you have a backlight fault. Weird that it works in safe mode but perhaps in Safe Mode, the intensity is less?

You can experiment with the backlight at a lower / dim level - dial it down to the lowest setting and see if the display remains active for a longer duration.

Backlight controller is U8400 on this logic board.

Post the voltage @ PPVOUT_S0_LCDBKLT while display remains lit and when display goes dark.
      Don't think backlight is the issue. Backlight stays on, just the image goes off.

Comment

Originally posted by pantsos View Post
        Don't think backlight is the issue. Backlight stays on, just the image goes off.
        Hi even i have the same issue. Any updates on this?

Comment

A1708 does have flexgate faults if you lose the display.

Contact Apple support and demand they fix this lemon of a design. The issue is that the flex cable used is too short and will break over repeated opening and closing of the lid.

You can Google around for some hacks of repairs but why bother? Do not worry about warranty coverage, they were sued over this fault and did cover many similar models without costs. Be firm and contact them for a resolution. You can charge a fair service fee to handle the case on your client's behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
            A1708 does have flexgate faults if you lose the display.

Contact Apple support and demand they fix this lemon of a design. The issue is that the flex cable used is too short and will break over repeated opening and closing of the lid.

You can Google around for some hacks of repairs but why bother? Do not worry about warranty coverage, they were sued over this fault and did cover many similar models without costs. Be firm and contact them for a resolution. You can charge a fair service fee to handle the case on your client's behalf.
            They didnt do anything. Ultimately had to a LCD only replacement for the customer.
            Thanks for the help.

Comment

Pretty sure officially, they only cover the A1706 manufactured between October 2016 to December 2016. Beyond that, it was only for 5 years max after original purchase. So we are coming to the end of that window now.

Comment

Working...
              X