Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung UE40J5200AW red channel issues where luminosity changes (I believe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UE40J5200AW red channel issues where luminosity changes (I believe)

Hello everyone, I have a Samsung UE40J5200AW 40" Smart TV which seems fine at first, but if you look it creates a blue tinge on people's skin and other things.

-The whole story:

my father found it about a week ago right next to the dumpster, someone threw it away. He took it home and the next day I went ahead and had a look at it. The screen was surprinsingly intact and pretty much clean so I expected it to simply not turn on or something. After I found a power cord for it (both the remote and cord weren't there or were in the dumpster) I turned it on and much to my surprise it turned on and seemed to display the UI just fine so I connected the antenna cable, I was further surprised when I turned it on again and heard the channel that was on just fine but then when I looked I saw that people's skins and other objects had a blue tinge in some areas.
    I took then to the internet and after being sacred a bit that it could be that some of the LEDs had bured I discovered the RBG option in the menu (I also found out how to factory reset which I did in case it worked out somehow) and experimented a bit. I found out 2 things while doing that:
    1. only the red channel is having issues and
    2. it seems to happen only at the edge of bright areas, when it starts to go darker, I got lucky and found this out because while experimenting a serie was playing behind and in one scene where there were no lights, and so no bright spots on the actors' skins, the image looked as if it was any other TV.

I kept digging around and found this forum, tried my luck searching for someone with a similar issue but no luck. Decided to register seeing how active this place is, hopefully I'll learn, help and be helped a lot.
    Lastly I decided to open the TV and check the boards, they seem intact and are clean and dust free. I also connected my laptop to get controlled images to photograph for this post and the same thing happens.
    My guess is that the chip that controls video output to display or something like that is slighty damaged but not broken.

-More to the point, some images and my hypothesis:

Samsung UE40J5200AW 40" Smart TV, there's a blue tinge in people's skins' and some other objects. Issue appears no matter the source (Antenna, HDMI...). After some digging around the web and experimenting with the device I rule out any LED or screen damage, and narrow down the issue to the red colour channel. It goes weird at the edge of bright areas, when luminosity changes. All internals seem to have no damage and are pretty much clean. Here I attach some images:

A low quality Samsung TV test image:

RED, GREEN and BLUE channels:

Close up of the image and same in the RED channel:

Inside and closer picture of the main board:

A GIF to exemplify the issue:

Sticker at the back just in case:

What I believe to be the issue is a faulty/damaged chip that is not quite broken but is sending bad data to the screen. I would like to narrow the issue down to one or a few components instead of chaging the board which, for all I know, could not even fix the issue.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung UE40J5200AW red channel issues where luminosity changes (I believe)

This looks like solarization typically due to bad gamma chip in T-con.
    In your case T-con seems to be integrated into long boards connected to LCD. This means you won't be able to swap T-con board.
    Can you replace chip by yourself if needed?
    Some troubleshooting can be done with a multimeter. If interested, please post close-up pictures of long boards with all markings visible.

Comment

Yes, the T-con board is connected to the LCD, took me by suprise when I saw it, here you have the images:

Are these good? (Too much maybe?) I have access to a multimeter so any directions how on to troubleshoot it are welcome, as I said, I want to really narrow it down.
      As to if I have the means to change a chip, no, but I'm willing to learn through experience. I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks for the tools and materials, even if I blow it, since the TV came free. If I were to do it I would require at least a (and correct me if I'm wrong or missing something):
      hot air gun, something to shield stuff to not burn it, flux and solder material;
      right? I already have an iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit, so I'm good there.
      Thanks for the quick reply and already teaching me new terms (didn't know what solarization was nor that the "long" board is the T-con board), I'm excited.

Edit: typos
      Attached Files

Comment

On the 2nd picture, find UG1 chip, that's the one for gamma.
        Measure the voltages at test points 1, 3, 6 till 18.
        And try to read markings on the chip.

Comment

I see the chip, I also see the test points, those on the left, right?
          For testing, one probe cycles through the numbered ones and another stays static on another? I'm pretty much a noob at electronic troubleshooting and repair, sorry.
          Also, please, tell me how to read markings on the chip, as I suppose it's not the same as going through the test points (?.
          I will get the readings tomorrow as soon as possible, it's already 2:00 AM here, don't want to wake up my father and I myself should also go to bed.
          Thanks in advance.

Comment

Connect black wire of multimeter to ground, there is large open copper area in the 1st picture.
            Use magnifying glass or anything similar to read markings. I prefer to use iphone camera with full zoom.

Comment

Ok, I'm an idiot, I know now what you mean by markings. The phone is no good for this, even with macro camera it gets blurry, luckily I have a currency detecting microscope that worked wonders. It says:
              CMI
              CM603
              8913HI01
              1532VN

Here I attach a image for you to see:

The readings for the test points were:
              1-15.31V, 3-11.75V, 6-10.76V, 7-10.39V, 8-9.24V, 9-8.96V
              10-7.48V, 11-7.18V, 12-6.05V, 13-5.62V, 16-4.44V,18-0.40V

P.S. Took me a whle because silly, inexperienced me only ever used a tester for continuity... and I lost time doing that becuase I didn't pay attention while reading your directions... I also had to Google how to not screw up while measuring voltage... wasn't difficult at all but I'm not that self-confident.

P.S.S. And this is the reason why I dislike the camera of my new phone:
              So disgustingly blurry at the edges.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Y.LO; 06-09-2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

The voltages seem to be OK.
                Can you go this website and take good pictures of Gradients test, white, red, green and blue.
                https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/

Comment

Thanks for that site, it's amazing. Here are the results:
                  In order: Pattern, Magenta, Red, White, Yellow.

The ones I didn't add looked perfect. I also found this issue at the "Uniformity" test, bands are left from the box (and at 50%, like it can be seen in the white gradient, red is lost and grey turns to "dirty cyan").

Edit: some of the image options in the TV shift the black band in the red gradient right and left. Mainly those that have to do with dark and light. Gamma is one of those. Probably nothing new but might as well share it.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Y.LO; 06-09-2021, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Can you add green and blue gradients?
                    It looks like gamma related, but not sure where is it broken. Let's get opinions from other experts.

Comment

Can do, but as I told you, they look perfectly fine, here:

Also, same band issue with animation of the box closing:

Happens also with white (no surprise I suppose, seeing it happened in the "Luminosity" test), cyan and yellow. Though I suppose it is linked with the main issue and will hopefully go away once we pin it down.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Is the chip UG2 of any significance here? Does it also work with gamma or colour or something that could relate to this?

Comment

Here is one thing you can try.
                          Enter service menu, search online for code, there few different options.
                          Once there, walk through the menu and do every reset listed there.
                          If this still doesn't help, find white balance menu with many adjustment points (not just RGB), take a picture and post it here.

Comment

I'm in the service menu:

What do mean now by searching online for code?
                            Attached Files

Comment

So you are already there, follow next steps. Also there are some test patterns, try them too.

Comment

Something goofy is going on with the tab board/tcon. Probably a ceramic cap that isn’t fully shorted yet, but close to it and passing resistance to ground is my guess. I normally just give all the obvious parts a test over including SMD resistors as they also let go too, then will assume the Ic has failed and change that. I won’t touch TVs with screen faults as such they just end up becoming a nightmare. Could also be something up with the LVDS or LVDS cables try reseating/cleaning them first. I’ve had the twin flex cables cause similar faults when they’ve just not been seated properly.
                                Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 06-11-2021, 11:48 AM.
                                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Here, alfatv, some photos:

I will try cleaning and reseating the cables, ReeceyBurger123, but if it doesn't work, will you give me directions on how to test components? Also, what part is this Ic you mention?
                                  Edit: Should I use Q-Tips and alcohol for cleaning?
                                  Edit: Didn't work. Kinda expected it though, this something wrong with the components.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Y.LO; 06-11-2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Similar to last picture, see if there is menu with more settings. On my Samsung UN50H5203 it's called MGA and is next to white balance.
                                    I used Mute-182-Power to enter into service menu.
                                    And did you do resets?

Comment

On modern models gamma chips much rarely or never fails, the problem could be that some user have gone into service menu and made carneficine, by changing the type in the option submenu, so first download the service manual for the model then serarch there the correct type to enter..

Comment

Here, alfatv, image of MGA values:

The only reset I saw and tried, asides from "Factory reset" which I already did (though through the Normal menu, so if it's different tell me and I'll do the one on the Service menu), was SWU_Reset.
                                        The combination that works for me is Info>Menu>Mute>Power

Davi.p, I can't find a service manual for my model, also, the type in the "Option" submenu for me is currently 40D6AF0JJ.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X