Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP 840 G1 i5 4300U / Working / Doesn't detect battery ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 840 G1 i5 4300U / Working / Doesn't detect battery ?

Laptop working but has 2 strange problems.

Keyboard has an input lag, some keys don't even stick , you have to double press them (yes i have tried all the software stuff that i could, even linux) it doesn't register them ,fast . Like if you type fast half of the buttons would never register.
    (Imported 3 different 840 G1 keyboards, all did the same from different sellers of china)
    External keyboard works flawlessly .

Second problem,
    2 brand new batteries, RDY and Greencell with good cells, none is detected,but both are detected on secondary laptop that i had the opportunity to test them out.

So ,where should i start looking ?

(Battery doesn't detect not even in BIOS information)

Re: HP 840 G1 i5 4300U / Working / Doesn't detect battery ?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=90356
    2.2.1. Battery not detected
    Issue on charging circuit SMBUS.
    Check voltage and diode mode to ground on charging circuit SMBUS SDA and SCL lines
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Based on the thread, thanks for that.
      Is the U6000 , that i have to search for , on chip and check ? Because i got 5 results for the SCL_BAT and SDA_BAT.

Thanks for that.

https://i.postimg.cc/dt3ZPRj1/U6000.jpg

Attaching my schematics as well.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes. Post the voltage on scl, sda lines. These are common communication lines used by the host CPU to read / write data using this I2C interface.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
          Yes. Post the voltage on scl, sda lines. These are common communication lines used by the host CPU to read / write data using this I2C interface.
          When you measure in diode mode, should i have charger on , or just plugged in?

Comment

Test it 2 ways and post your results.

1) Meter in volts mode, apply your adapter -> black lead on meter to ground on the logic board (shield is always good).

Red lead on SCL line -> voltage reading ?
            Red lead on SDA line -> voltage reading ?

2) Power down and remove the adapter. Meter in DIODE mode.

With no power to the logic board...

RED lead (yes RED lead) to ground on the logic board (shield is usually ok).

BLACK lead on SCL line -> reading ?
            BLACK lead on SDA line -> reading ?

Essentially we are checking that the I2C lines (SCL & SDA) are not damaged or being parked to static levels. On a working board, these lines should be spitting out packets of data.

You can buy relative good I2C bus analyzers that will show you the packets of data flying by for $10 - $100 USD. We like the Total Phase I2C products but they can be $$$ - sometimes deals to be had on Ebay. Last unit we paid $60 for a surplus tool.

Comment

1) Meter in volts mode, apply your adapter -> black lead on meter to ground on the logic board (shield is always good).

Essentially we are checking that the I2C lines (SCL & SDA) are not damaged or being parked to static levels. On a working board, these lines should be spitting out packets of data.

You can buy relative good I2C bus analyzers that will show you the packets of data flying by for $10 - $100 USD. We like the Total Phase I2C products but they can be $$$ - sometimes deals to be had on Ebay. Last unit we paid $60 for a surplus tool.
              and my multimeter just died from battery (dang it ! 9V ) ,and now i have to order,because noone around me has one. Crazy!
              So i will wait until afternoon to get one.

Yes, if it's something that " i must have " for easier troubleshooting ,sure i will buy a " I2C bus analyzer " .
              Can you suggest me something around 30$-40$ max. with free Shipping within Europe ?

Thanks!

Also thanks for the guide, it's like step by step which is MUCH easier to understand and learn . I am in the curve of learning...

Comment

Ι don't know how to distinquish , the "right" balls in the schematic.

As i saw the chip (it's upside down) as we look the board.
                The values were like this , with the ball as you see it.
                But i cannot understand ,the "ball hole on the chip" what is the "correct on the schematic" i mean the correct side that the numbers start .

So i have taken a photo for you to see ,those are the values i get as soon as i plug in the charger jack..
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X