Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACER Predator PH317-51 - No +3VALWP

Hello all,

today i have an ACER, Board Number C5MMH/C7MMH LA-E911P with missing +3VALWP. i found out, it's because of missing 3V_EN Signal.

No history known. Comes from a household resolution. Maybe it lies for a longer time. The Adapter wasn't of correct wattage, so i just replaced it with a original one, but unfortunately nothing changed.

+5VALWP, +3VLP_EC, MAINPWON, EC_ON, EC_RST# and LID_SW# are present. As soon as i press the ON/OFFBTN#, i lost all voltages at EC, except +3VLP_EC. i get the lost voltages back, if i steadily press the ON/OFFBTN#. But if i let go the Button, i lost all voltages again.

Another thing what happens, if i press the Power-Button: The 3V_EN, SPOK_3V, SPOK_3V5V, +3ALWP and +1VALWP comes out just for an blink of an eye.

i checked all Coils, all Pins of PU401 and all Pins of EC (UB1) for short. Nothing found.

What i have done so far (19V missing too at the beginning):

Replaced DC-IN Mosfets PQ303 & PQ304 (Bad looking solder joints)
    Reflowed Charging Controller PU301 (bad looking solder joints)
    Replaced the 3V Controller PU401 (nothing changed)

Alle tests done with all Subboards and Coin-Cell connected. I have two Switches at the MB (SW2 & SW3). i believe the're only related to battery, is this correct?

Now i suspect the SIO itself defective and want to replace it. Any other suggestions? Thank you for assistance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sephir0th; 01-30-2021, 04:59 PM.
    FairRepair on YouTube

Re: ACER Predator PH317-51 - No +3VALWP

3V_EN_R present??

Comment

No, unfortunately Not. It's the Same as with 3V_EN. And If you ask: RB14 and RB15 positive checked for correct Resistance. Also checked DB1 and replaced it, Just to be Sure (i forgot to Tell it before). Any Idea?

I did Something crazy and jumpered DB1 for Testing purpose. +3VALVP/+1VALWP Came Up, but still too Low SPOK_3V Signal. I reverted the Changes, because i don't want to mess Up the Board...
      Last edited by Sephir0th; 01-31-2021, 05:58 AM.
      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Did you removed RB14/15 while jumpering DB1?? If you remove both the resistors, its absolutely safe to jumper db1 for testing purpose.

Comment

Erm, no... I wasn't Aware of this being important. if you're confirming, i haven't damaged the EC by this Test, I'll try it again today with removing These Resistors and See what Happens. Otherwise i Just wait for the Programmer arriving. Need it anyway, because i have one more Board Here, which has Problems with the EC.

Greetings
          FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Go ahead and try. I use these sort of tricks to solve a lot of problems without changing the IC. Today i fixed a dell 3542 cedar intel mb-it was not trigerring at all though +3/5VALW was present and all start conditions for sio were met. Bios was also good. Problem was TPS51225 powergood pin was releasing 2.2V instead of 3V. I just cut the track towards IC and jumpered PR4534 so that 3V_5V_POK was released....and it worked like a charm. The same case could've been solved by replacing the IC.

Comment

I Tried it, but wasn't able to establish a high SPOK3V Signal. i replaced the EC and Programmed it succesfully after, but nothing changed...

In my despair i measured everything around the EC, Maybe Missing "AC_Present" can be a hint? I reprogrammed the BIOS too, Just to be Sure...

Still nothing. After what i learned so far i never expected to Fail at an 3.3V Coil... But i'm definitely Stuck now...

My next Steps Would be to replace the DCIN-Mosfets again (didn't replaced it with original spares), the Charging IC (Had Trouble with it at the beginning) and the 3V-Controller the Second time. If it wouldn't Change anything i Would start to replace everything on 3V_EN Rail and Maybe on SPOK_3V Rail too.

Howewer, i additionally Hope for a good Suggestions.

The. Charger is original and of correct wattage.

Ty in advance!
              FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

I just noticed Someone did some Work at the Charging Connector/Cable before. I was thinking about reversed polarity for a second... But can't be case Here?
                FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Meanwhile amongst other things i replaced the EC and Programmed it succesfully. I additionally flashed BIOS with another dump to Check whether it Changes anything.

But today i Had some Progress while Checking components at 3V_EN Rail. After desoldering RB15 i was able to start the Board.

Now i get the following:

- All voltages present except VCCGT (should be okay because MB has dGPU)
                  - GPU- and CPU-Controller have PGOOD
                  - BIOS isn't Posting (CapsLock-Test) and of course No picture
                  - The Fan Starts for a second, then stops, Board does a Reboot after a few Seconds, again the Fans start/Stop and it stays Like this. No Fans, draws 1 Amps and i have to unplug Power before the heatsing getting too hot.

What i Tried so far:

- flashed original BIOS Back and also an Clean_me version
                  - Tried another RAM
                  -- fully Assembled the Laptop to Check whether it Changes anything.

I still suspect the BIOS, so i want to try more dumps and i'll also reflash the EC Just to be Sure.

Howewer any Suggestions are Very welcome. Thank you!
                  Last edited by Sephir0th; 02-20-2021, 05:50 PM.
                  FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

After getting it to work with all voltages present (except VCC_GT), and flashing around 10 BIOS Roms (but still no POST & Picture) i did some additional Measurements while waiting for EC Programmer (long story!) Everything seems fine for me...

LID_SW# 3.265V
                    EC_VCCST_PG 1.018V
                    THERMTRIP# 1.017V
                    H_CPUPWRGD 1.019V

PLT_RST# 3.312V jumping for a few seconds, then stable
                    PLT_RST_BUF# 3.309V
                    PLTRST_VGA#_1V8 1.807V
                    +1.8VSDGPU_AON 1.845V
                    GC6_FB_EN1V8# 1.843V
                    GC6_FB_EN3V3 0.000V
                    1VS DGPU_PG 3.171V
                    1.35VS_DGPU_PG 3.307V
                    ALL_GPWRGD 1.808V

except this one here:

VR_HOT# 0.049V

These weird PROCHOT things... howewer, when i desolder RB19, i have 1.020V at VR_HOT# and clarified, the low signal comes from the EC Pin 103 - VCOUT1_PROCHOT ( 0.000V). But i have no idea why i have a LOW there...
                    Maybe it is related to ADP_I Circuit? Did some measurements there too:

VCIN0_PH 2.831V
                    VCIN1_ADP_PROCHOT 0.323V
                    ADP_I 0.950V

PH201 reads in-circuit 22K Ohms instead of 100K Ohms.

Maybe someone can break down this or could this all be meaningless?
                    Last edited by Sephir0th; 02-22-2021, 06:08 AM.
                    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

I Replaced the EC one more time just to be Sure, but this don't Changed anything in the behaviour.

I additionally noticed the PCH got really warm, so i can't Touch it with the outside of my Fingers for longer as 2 Seconds. Checking voltages there don't give me any hint, except +1.0VALW_MPHY which isn't Coming Out, but resistances is around 50 Ohms, so seems to be normal.

Howewer i suspect more and more an dead PCH. In this Case i should have to give Up on this Point.

I Just want to say thank you for your Patience and your Help on this hard Case.

Kind regards
                      FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

This thread is almost 5 months old, but i still don't want to give Up on this one...

The Missing +1.0VALW_MPHY wasn't Missing in the end. Just a wrong measurement.

So again i did Spend some time on this Board the Last few days and Had some progress while Measuring and working around on this Board.

I've found a Bad Dual Mosfet ( QK1 ) related to the Touchpad and now the board draws a Bit more Amps and also the Fans staying at full Speed since then.

Additionally i found Out, DDR_DRAMRST# is missing and PM_SLP_S0# really low (~0.4V) but No short there. This is Very weird in my opinion because all voltages and also Signals Like PLT_RST# are present.

Of course i've Tested with Known working RAM.

Maybe Someone can explain why and hopefully has some ideas what to suspect now.

Thanks again!
                        Last edited by Sephir0th; 06-13-2021, 03:36 PM.
                        FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

test voltage and resistance on PU501 pins 5,16,20
                          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Unfortunately everything normal there and Q7 not present if this would be the next question.

After you have pointed for me out where to measure i noticed too, that S0 should be present when VTT is also present (regarding the small table at page 45 lower left. Weird.

Pin 5 - VDDQ - 1.219V - 111 Ohms
                            Pin 16 - PHASE - 1.219V - 113 Ohms
                            Pin 20 - VTT - 0.607V 1.2KOhms

So we are back into the direction of bad PCH...? Any ideas left?
                            FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Working...
                            X