Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please tell me your opinion on this situation

i was a proud owner of a new lenovo y560 laptop
    for me it was a very new experience to use a laptop . i had used only desktop PC many times. i enjoyed playing games on my laptop very much. This pleasure lasted only till the day there was a electric power cut followed by a power surge at my home and while i was playing a game (crysis 2) . when the power cut happened the laptop Operating System went automatically to power saving mode...so the heatsink cooling fan stopped spinning and then ( a few seconds later ) as soon as the electric supply resumed and power surge happened the laptop shifted to high power mode.all the while the game was still running, this caused overheating of my laptop,(happened in year 2013) there is visible burn mark on my laptop motherboard, the laptop did not stop working completely , it still worked normally when booted but then it would shut down after a few minutes , i had not known about the laptop cooling pads at that time (now i know).
    later i managed to isolate the heating problems and my laptop worked fine (in year 2020).I used it for 2 to 3 days and i was sure that the laptop was now working fine. i was very happy that i had repaired my laptop using my own brain (LOL) .but then i made a mistake.i checked the lenovo website for driver and bios updates, i managed to obtain a bios update from the official lenovo website and after updating bios my laptop started overheating and hanging at boot time. i read the opinion of some people on the lenovo forums , they suggested that the bios should be downgraded by providing old backup bios file to the updating program and it should work fine again (I later realised how wrong these people were )t i followed the steps described in the posts on the forum to downgrade the bios and my laptop became bricked. I am attempting to revive my laptop now

Now there are some questions on my mind

1) why do corporations like lenovo ( i guess there are some others too ) provide bad (full of bugs) software to people?

2) why did people give wrong information regarding to bios downgrade on lenovo forum ? was it purposefully done by them ? was lenovo directly or indirectly involved in this?

what is your opinion about this situation ?

Re: please tell me your opinion on this situation

Lenovo forum users are not affiliated with the Lenovo company.
    Usually I will never try to update BIOS, unless there are serious problems/bugs with the machine and rarely problems are truly related to outdated bios.
    The companies want you to buy new as soon as the warranty ends.
    Also, Y series of Lenovo are consumer class laptops, cheaply made and with poor quality.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
      Lenovo forum users are not affiliated with the Lenovo company.
      Usually I will never try to update BIOS, unless there are serious problems/bugs with the machine and rarely problems are truly related to outdated bios.
      Also, Y series of Lenovo are consumer class laptops, cheaply made and with poor quality.
      thank you televizora for reading my post , i agree with you .

Comment

My opinion (since you asked ): laptops shouldn't be used for games/gaming.
        I know that sounds harsh and stupid, but it's true. Modern laptops (especially the very thin ones) barely run cool enough as it is to browse the web, let alone play demanding games. Doing so just accelerates them towards their doom.

Do yourself a favor and keep your laptop for work / browsing, especially if it's not a proper older "fat" workstation -type laptop. For games, it's just better to do it on a desktop.

+100

Updating the BIOS should ONLY be done if the computer has known problems and bugs that are actually caused by the BIOS or if you want to upgrade to a CPU that the original BIOS does not support but the new one does.

Otherwise, updating the BIOS just because the manufacturer "recommends it" with their driver/software update "utility" is only asking for trouble. Don't do it.

Or as the saying goes,
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

And sometimes, not even that long.
        Those software "update" tools from HP, Dell, Lenovo, and etc. are pure TRASH. They only add potential to f-ing up the system (be it from an unstable driver or buggy BIOS). And on top of that, a lot of them (especially HP's) make your PC slower than a sick dog.
        Last edited by momaka; 01-05-2021, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Laptop issues go into the "Troubleshooting Laptops, Portable, and Mobile Devices" subsection: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

As for bugs in software… tell me a piece software that never had any bug. That's how it is, you have to live with it.
          Of course when flashing the BIOS you have a lot of warnings everywhere that something can go wrong (and from time to time actually goes wrong), so you should be ready for that.

About BIOS downgrade, if an issue appeared right after upgrading the BIOS, then like any piece of software, trying to downgrade it makes perfect sense.

Btw firmware updates like any software updates also correct security vulnerabilities and sometimes potential bugs that can only show up in the future, and sometimes completely render the device inoperative. A couple of random examples: firmware bug on Seagate 7200.11 family where the drive would stop being detected one day, and most drives that didn't get the firmware update suffered from that bug; or the firmware bug for TBT 3 controllers on ThinkPad that would brick it over time.

So firmware updates can be a good thing, but they sometimes also introduce bugs themselves. And unfortunately for anything firmware-related, there's a risk of brick. There are solutions to try to prevent that from happening or to be able to recover from that, but here's the real problem: manufacturers either don't implement them, implement them poorly or don't document them.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

thank you momaka and piernov for reading my post and providing valuable advice

Comment

Working...
            X