Dell Optiplex GX260, SFF, power supply stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Optiplex GX260, SFF, power supply stuck

I have a Dell GX260 SFF with swollen caps. The motherboard cannot be repaired until the PS is off, since the PS sits over it, but the PS doesn't want to budge. When I press down on the green release button for the PS on the fan end, the PS will not then slide towards that end to release from its hook. Where do I pry, and how hard, to get this PS out?

Thanks.

Re: Dell Optiplex GX260, SFF, power supply stuck

You shouldnt need to pry anthing. Mostly there are some screws and alocking tab at the back of the psu. Upload a picture

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
      You shouldnt need to pry anthing. Mostly there are some screws and alocking tab at the back of the psu. Upload a picture
      It looks just like the manual on the Dell site.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ly.htm#1099791

Press down on the green release tab on the end of the PS and it seems not to unlock, since the PS will not slide off the hook shown on that picture. Whatever is holding the PS in place is under it where I cannot get a picture of it. I will probably try to pry it in that direction with a screw driver, but wanted to know if anybody had been down this road already before trying that.

Comment

I've removed a PSU from a Dell GX260 small mini tower a few months ago at work - from what I remember, there were only two or three screws holding the PSU to the case.

*EDIT*
        oops, didn't see you're talking about a SFF GX260. I guess you should just keep trying to wiggle the PSU out. When I worked on the GX260, the case was very hard to open as one of the plastic buttons couldn't be pressed fully. Obviously those plastic buttons can be quite flimsy.
        Last edited by momaka; 11-03-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I dont really like dells toolless crap. Much rather just have 2 screws

Comment

Got it out finally.

There is a trick. While holding the release lever with the left hand, place the thumb of the right hand next to the power cord socket on the back of the PS, and wrap two fingers of the right hand around the outer plastic part of the case that rises vertically in that corner. (There isn't room for a better grip, only two fingers would fit, maybe only one if you have really big hands.) In that position one can push hard enough with the thumb to move the PS forward.

There is also one, and apparently only one, spot where the PS can be pried forward with a screwdriver. The case is flimsy as hell, but right in the corner behind the PS there is just enough of a metal flange on the case so that a flat blade screwdriver can slide in from the top behind the PS. Elsewhere the case moved out rather than the PS moving forward when the screwdriver pried.

Comment

The clue about the screwdriver was perfect. I have had problems with these power supplies in the past and usually a bit of persuasion with my thumbs or a gentle tap with some deadblow object has gotten it to start moving. Could not budge this thing tonight and found your screwdriver clue. Was just the smallest amount of twist of a flat blade screwdriver right in the corner and it slid right out.

Comment

Working...
              X