Programming a 93C46 EEPROM ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming a 93C46 EEPROM ?

Good day folks. Nice and (seemingly) straightforward task here which hit a snag: got a Panasonic headunit (think it's called music 5 or something, out of a mercedes, anyway) which is locked and someone pointed me to a site where I'd find the BIN for it which would allow me to use a known code on it, so fair enough I thought, I popped the cover off and located the 93C46 IC, I grabbed the BIN file which I was lucky to find very easily, but then I simply couldn't figure out how to program the thing...I have an ebay CH341A programmer so I'm not entirely sure it can be used for this type of chip in the first place and secondly, I'm not sure I got the pinout right. The IC is not "plug and play", since the pinout doesn't match the one of the clip I got for the programmer, so what I did was solder the IC to a breakout board and ran wires out for each pin. I tried to match these pins of the IC with the corresponding pins of the programmer, but I don't think I got it right. Even after the fact, my programmer detected nothing, which comes as no surprise since the software itself doesn't have an entry for 93C46 anywhere...any help would be greatly appreciated Can it be done at all ? :|
    So far, although it sometimes required some fiddling, it seems there hasn't yet been a task this CH341A hasn't been able to accomplish: I use it all the time to program TV SPI chips, I use it to program my Arduino mini and even used to communicate with a router via serial....all these seemed impossible at first but it turned out they COULD be done with the right amount of tweaking.
    Wattevah...

Re: Programming a 93C46 EEPROM ?

i know my ezp2011 supports them.
    its dirt cheap.

Comment

ch341 can do it,
      so can an arduino - there are sketches out there to use it to program all kinds of stuff.

if you use the ch341, you use the oposite end of the 14pin socket.
      one end is wired for 25'series and the other end is wired for 24'series.

btw, 24'series cant be "detected", they predate digital chip i.d.s
      just set your software to the right number and read it, serveral times.
      if you get the same code each time - it's probably all good.

ah - shit.
      just noticed you said 93'series.
      use the arduino.
      Last edited by stj; 01-23-2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        just noticed you said 93'series.
        use the arduino.
        I could find no resources on using the CH341 with that thing, so it probably can't do it, which is backed up by the fact that, like I said, there is no entry for it in the chip menu....
        I do have an arduino...several in fact, but haven't got the time/energy right this very moment to start researching how it's done...might come back to it one day when I've got nothing better to do.
        Wattevah...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
          I could find no resources on using the CH341 with that thing, so it probably can't do it, which is backed up by the fact that, like I said, there is no entry for it in the chip menu....
          I do have an arduino...several in fact, but haven't got the time/energy right this very moment to start researching how it's done...might come back to it one day when I've got nothing better to do.
          the ch341 hardware can do it, but i dont know if there is software.

2nd hit with a search:
          https://gist.github.com/krisha/fcaaf01534fa0ad9d3da

Comment

Kind of sad, have to bitbang with an Arduino or something now, where in the past, everyone had a parallel port to bitbang and program their 93c46's.

That's progress... and I'm collecting PCI parallel port cards...

Comment

yea, i was going to link "ponyprog" but then decided i'd just get complaints that it needed a centronics port!

Comment

Assuming I set up an arduino as a programmer, how do I go about uploading the file I got ? Also, how would I READ the one that's already on there in case something goes wrong and I brick the thing....doesn't matter too much, since it's a piece of junk at the end of the day, but I'd rather have a functional piece of junk than a doorstop
                Wattevah...

Comment

maybe this can help?
                  http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=96411.0

Comment

hey danny, got a serial-port??
                    http://www.lancos.com/prog.html
                    Last edited by stj; 01-24-2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

hey danny, got a serial-port??
                      http://www.lancos.com/prog.html
                      Not not really...though I could probably find one to try that. I came across that method at one point in my searches, but wasn't really sure how I'd go about trying it....need some help
                      Wattevah...

Comment

Also, don't you mean PARALLEL port ?
                        Wattevah...

Comment

no, serial:
                          http://www.lancos.com/siprogsch.html

Comment

I assume I'd also have to build up that adapter board before I can start plugging sh!t in, since the serial port from my recollection outputs 10v and the ICs operates at 5/3....I most certainly have a "legacy" laptop which has a serial port so that's sorted....now I guess I'll just plop XP on it and start messing around. This is getting WAY more complex than the junker's worth, but could be useful somewhere else down the line.

Come to think of it: the CH341 can emulate a serial port. I haven't analysed those sketches in depth to find out exactly which pins of the DB9 they require, but if it's just TX/RX, I COULD do it with the 341 like I have done once to communicate with that TP-Link router you guys helped me with.
                            Wattevah...

Comment

no, it uses the handshake lines to bitbang the data - a usb bridge is unlikely to work.
                              not impossible - it depends how much is implemented by the chip and driver.
                              but it was never designed to be abused that way.

Comment

no, it uses the handshake lines to bitbang the data - a usb bridge is unlikely to work.
                                not impossible - it depends how much is implemented by the chip and driver.
                                but it was never designed to be abused that way.
                                Serial IS available to me on one of my old DELL laptops, so I shall attempt it even without the CH341. Had a closer look and saw that the circuit has mostly to do with supplying external power to the IC, so I'm not sure I REALLY need to build that, however it would seem I need to "clamp" something with some zener diodes.
                                Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                                X