PNY Geforce Nvidia 6200 256MB PCI only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PNY Geforce Nvidia 6200 256MB PCI only

Maplins is closing down, they sold shit solder anyway.

I tried using kitchen foil on the leads and now some lead free sodler is stuck to the board, a blob of it that I cannot get off there, I tried using some CHEMTRONICS Desoldering Braid, Soder-Wick®, No-Clean, #3 Green, Static Dissipative Bobbin.

That just stuck to the board and did not do anything.
    Then the solder tip went a black colour.

The solder just goes like a rock after using the 350 temp on it. It won't melt onto the braid.
    Last edited by Fast Alpha; 04-08-2018, 04:23 PM.
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Comment

350 is too low. Turn it up.

Comment

What can I use to cut away the solder when it is heated from the board?

I got one stick of another capacitor out, then this happened.
        Do you shop at hobbycraft, do they sell something like a stainless steel spade type tool.

Comment

well, i checked a home improvement hardware store near me and they have two brands of lubricating oil spray. mr mckenic 9 in 1 technology oil spray and selleys rp7 also a lubricating oil spray. both of them use the same type of oil: hydrocarbon oil and they both say they can be used for gears and stuck mechanisms. is that the same type of oil used in gear transmission oil or engine oil? is that suitable for sleeve bearing fan use? thanks. sry for hijacking the topic lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Alpha View Post
            What can I use to cut away the solder when it is heated from the board?
            ???
            Why do you want to cut solder? Just heat it up and move it away. If it's in a hole, use a needle to poke it out. Just use a bigger iron and you will be done with this already. 60 Watts or more if it's a regular unregulated wall-type iron.

Originally posted by diif View Post
            350 is too low. Turn it up.
            350 is absolutely fine if you have a decent iron. That means NOT 900M tips.
            I know I am repeating myself, but again: T12/T15 chisel/bevel tip and 50 Watts or more of power will desolder anything.

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
            well, i checked a home improvement hardware store near me and they have two brands of lubricating oil spray. mr mckenic 9 in 1 technology oil spray and selleys rp7 also a lubricating oil spray. both of them use the same type of oil: hydrocarbon oil and they both say they can be used for gears and stuck mechanisms.
            Those two sound an awful lot like ubiquitous WD-40 we have here. Not that there's anything awful about that. It's just that WD-40 isn't exactly a long-term lubricant as it's usually very light. It's mostly used to free up stuck/rusted/corroded mechanisms. That said, it CAN be used for general lubrication, but the oil from these lubricant's typically runs away / dries faster, so you may not get a long-lasting repair. Thus, using the right lubricant for the right application is better.

On that note, small gears and moving mechanisms found in PC hardware typically use lithium grease (i.e. metal-to-metal and/or metal-to-plastic). But for high-speed rotating shafts, oil is better. Most greases tend to become watery and run away (especially general purpose silicone greases). Lithium grease is a little better in that respect, but it's also very "sticky". Some fans simply won't turn right if you use it on them.

Likewise, there are different "thicknesses" with oils. IIRC, machine oil is just a tad bit "thicker" than WD-40 (and doesn't contain cleaning / dispersing agents), engine oil thicker than machine oil, and transmission oil is even thicker than that.

is that the same type of oil used in gear transmission oil or engine oil?
            I don't think so.

is that suitable for sleeve bearing fan use?
            Sort of. If you have a fan that is really stuck and can't turn, you can use these spray lubricants to get it unstuck. But for a long-term repair machine oil, engine oil, or transmission oil should be better.

Comment

From experience momaka with the exact iron and a k tip 350 to remove caps from a thick motherboard it struggles. 400 at least.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                From experience momaka with the exact iron and a k tip 350 to remove caps from a thick motherboard it struggles. 400 at least.
                Hmmm, would that be the one mentioned in post #23?
                If so, that's a bit disappointing, as this is supposed to be a 75W iron/station. Maybe it's a case of the "Chinese" Watts again, lol. Or more likely, I suspect the K-tip is just not that good for this job. I have one and rarely use it for anything (I bet that's why it comes free with most irons). With the T12-D52 and my station rated for same output power (75W), I have no problems desoldering lead-free at 350C on any motherboard. Even 320-330C is possible with a bit more patience and flux.

Comment

ok so i checked out a petrol kiosk near me and it was a caltex. they seem to sell about a handful of types of engine oil.

the first one is the havoline power 2t motorcycle engine oil for two-stroke motorcycle engines. the second is havoline super 4t for four-stroke motorcycle engines. not sure which oil has a "lighter" consistency for use in spinning shaft sleeve bearings. the marketing babble for the 4t oil claims it has "friction boosters" to improve clutch performance. not sure if that is good for sleeve bearings. im guessing that would be too greasy and sticky for sleeve bearing use?

they also have formula mineral engine oil, pro ds fully synthetic engine oil and some heavy duty diesel engine oil. im guessing the diesel engine oil may be too greasy or sticky for sleeve bearing use?

so should i go with the motorcycle engine oil or the car engine oil? which has the lighter consistency suitable for sleeve bearing use? and lastly, all of these oils seem to have warnings on them that say prolonged contact with motor oil has been shown to cause skin cancer! eeeks! so which oil is less likely to fly off the bearing when spun at a high rpm? dont want the oil flying off, landing on me and giving me skin cancer!

Comment

Any of these oils should do, though the semi- and fully- synthetic ones might be a bit better, if they are not too pricey. (On the other hand, if you buy a big bottle and don't know what else to use it for... well, if you have a bicycle, you could use it on that too).

Regarding cancer comments: yeah, non-organic oils are well-known to be toxic to the environment and carcinogenic to you. But lol, just don't take a bath in that stuff, then leave it unwashed from your skin all day, and you should be fine. Really, this warning is more towards mechanics and technicians who might have their hands soaked with oil while working all day. For "quick" repair sessions, like fixing a fan, it's not a big deal if you get it on your hands and wash it off after you're done fixing it.
                    Last edited by momaka; 06-04-2018, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Alpha View Post
                      I got these two as well T12-D4 or T12-D52.

The cap leads are small.

I used a T12-D52 and it had trouble heating up the solder on the board.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1517249416
                      Does the sockets looked to you??

I have been busy lately.
                      Last edited by Fast Alpha; 06-14-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

^No, they look okay still. You just need more flux and solder, especially on that tip - it looks way too clean! There should be big gobs of solder on it.

Comment

I'm back, I removed 3 capacitors on the motherboard ms6340( right side of the CPU and cleaned it up ) but some leads are stuck to the board and the holes covered over. I smelled my clothes and a bit fo flux smell in on them. What do I do now!

Comment

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/modelcr...mm/575678-1000

Is this good for holding motherboards and graphics cards.

Comment

I got some more pictures to show.

What does FCC mean on the board?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Fast Alpha; 04-12-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X