Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft to re-design windows 8 interface.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Microsoft to re-design windows 8 interface.

Originally posted by lti View Post
    I never saw that version of AOL. The first time I saw AOL was in 1999 after they switched to the user interface they used in every version afterward.

The hammer analogy isn't quite accurate. Windows 7 is only a slight improvement over Vista. It sill contains most of the stupid crap to dumb it down and make it harder for people to change critical settings like the low battery warning point.

I think it is time for me to learn Linux. I just need a computer to run it on.
    im in lakewood CO if you need help
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
      Windows 7 is only a slight improvement over Vista. It sill contains most of the stupid crap to dumb it down and make it harder for people to change critical settings...
      +1

I just installed Windows 7 for the first time on a laptop a few days ago, and I was surprised at the lack of options the Setup offered, even under "Advanced". The thing that bugged me the most was the fact that if the DVD ever got stuck on a file it couldn't read (which it did for the first 2 DVD-Rs I burned), it would cancel the whole setup! So every time, I had to start over. With XP, it would give you the usual Retry/Skip/Cancel and you could Retry forever if you wanted to. There were occasions where I had picky CD Drives that would get stuck on a file or two every now and then. If I had to restart the XP Setup every time, I would probably never been able to install on those computers. But no, all I had to do was hit Retry a few times, and eventually it would work. There were even occasions where I skipped XP setup files and the install worked just fine.

So yeah, Windows 7 is pretty dumbed-down, even at the Setup level. Haven't tried installing 8 yet, but I think I have an idea of how dumbed-down that would be too.

Comment

Windows 8 setup is quite similar to Windows 7 setup. It's just really purple.

Comment

Is it just me, or does it seem like consumer grade MS operating systems seem to skip generations where quality is concerned? MSDOS 6.2/Windows 3.1 was a really good OS (I can't ever remember it crashing even once), Windows 95 was pretty mediocre, Windows 98 was good once the SE version rolled out, Windows Millenium Edition was attrocious, Windows XP was terrific and has remained popular even to this day (I still use a lot of PCs with XP), Windows Vista was absolute garbage, Windows 7 is quite good (it's one of only two MS OSes that thoroughly impressed me, the other being Windows 2000), now Windows 8 seems to be a dud. I don't know, certainly seem like a pattern has emerged.

Yours,
          Justin

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            The thing that bugged me the most was the fact that if the DVD ever got stuck on a file it couldn't read (which it did for the first 2 DVD-Rs I burned), it would cancel the whole setup! So every time, I had to start over. With XP, it would give you the usual Retry/Skip/Cancel and you could Retry forever if you wanted to. There were occasions where I had picky CD Drives that would get stuck on a file or two every now and then. If I had to restart the XP Setup every time, I would probably never been able to install on those computers. But no, all I had to do was hit Retry a few times, and eventually it would work. There were even occasions where I skipped XP setup files and the install worked just fine.
            Installing an OS from corrupted media is never a good idea. It might work in a pinch, but you'll most definitely run into lots and lots of trouble along the line.

Instead, you could rant about how crappy optical drives (and media) have gotten, or just go get yourself a 8GB flash drive and install off that, and never burn another coaster again. That's how i've been installing Windows 7 for over 2 years.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              Installing an OS from corrupted media is never a good idea. It might work in a pinch, but you'll most definitely run into lots and lots of trouble along the line.

Instead, you could rant about how crappy optical drives (and media) have gotten
              I guess you are right about that. But still, I have burned at least a billion XP CDs, and never got even one coaster. I guess DVDs are just not as fault tollerant, especially DVD-R.

In a pinch, though, it would be nice if the option was there to continue installing. I have several of those XP installs that got stuck on a file or two. They still work fine after a lot of use.

Comment

turns out, the start menu button is there, but the menu itself just brings up a 'tiled' start menu. not good news so far
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                X