Asus P5K SE/EPU USB Over Current Status Detected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P5K SE/EPU USB Over Current Status Detected

Board starts, gives an OK single beep, then no more than a couple of seconds later gives a double beep followed by a message on the screen as per title, then as a second message advises, it shuts down after 15 seconds

Judging by Google this isn't unusual with Asus boards, but this thread http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us on Asus forums points to a faulty capacitor

With my board a USB keyboard isn't detected by either of USB12 ports, in the same block as the LAN port

But is detected by all four of the other on-board USB ports

Problem happens whether a USB or a PS/2 keyboard is used

Pic shows 560uf caps near the ports

Suggestions ?
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Asus P5K SE/EPU USB Over Current Status Detected

Does the board have a PS/2 connectors? If so, try disabling the onboard USB ports in the Bios and see what happens. Probably one of your existing USB ports has been shorted. You can use one of these http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5-Port-High-S...item20bd8df477 as a replacement.

Comment

Has only one PS/2 connector - for a keyboard

Have been unable to get into the BIOS to change any settings

I've tried the CLRTC jumper to reset BIOS, and also a fresh CR2032 battery

Visually each of the six USB ports looks perfect, and there are no bent pins on the two headers for connecting external USB brackets
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Assuming a shorted USB port is the problem, try booting with no USB devices installed.
        So is it LanUSB12 or USB34 that is not functioning? You could check with an ohmmeter to see if there is continuity between the inner connector and the outer housing of the USB port. If you find the bad USB, you could desolder it from the board.

Those solid caps could be shorted internally. You could check ESR of those caps. You could replace the caps and see what happens.

Since USB port is live when the power supply switch is ON, it's very easy to burn out the USB ports.

Comment

Apart from trying a USB keyboard, USB devices have never been installed

There is continuity between the 5v contact in all USB ports, not just the faulty pair, and all three USB housings

Keyboard isn't detected in either of the LanUSB12 pair

I've removed all four 560uf 6.3v caps shown in the bottom left of my original pic

The board still boots, and still brings up the same error

Next step is remove the LanUSB12 connector block, to see what happens

If problem persists, next step is the garbage bin for this Asus POS

Comment

It appears to be a common Asus A8V problem: (Before Core 2 existed!)
            (When dual core was rare like a Ferrari going down a street in a small town, lol)

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=654313

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/in...?topic=87385.0

It appears that there's a bug where setting the AGP aperture to certain sizes causes this error!

It's also possible that installing more than 512 MB of RAM causes this error on Asus A8V motherboards.

That's socket 939, lol.
            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-28-2012, 06:23 PM.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I can't make up my mind which is worse

Something like this Asus P5K SE/EPU which shows something on the screen and lures you into wasting effort on it, in the forlorn hope that it may be fixable

Or my A8V Deluxe, which I got dead as a doornail, no sign of any life, video or beeps

Or the P4C800-E Deluxe which I thought was fixed here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11694, put into a computer built for data recovery, and when I went to use it recently, also deceased

Comment

Solder back in the poly caps, they are for the VRM. It isn't good leaving them out - the other caps will suffer from the extra ripple.

Try desoldering that white resettable fuse next to the USB connector. See if the short goes away. You might also want to try to find the USB controller chip (if it isn't embedded in another larger chip), and de-solder that. You said there is continuity between the 5v pin and the housing of the USB sockets, but, what is the resistance? If there is a dead short then it will be like 1-3 ohms.
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Sorry,
                  old thread, but there any chance that the purple capacitor are the same as a P5K SE/EPU?

Comment

I know this is an old thread. I hope my experience can help others with similar problem.

I faced the same problem in P5Ke-wifi. I found that the problem is due to the short circuit in USB 5v to ground. I checked all the resistance between 5v to ground of each USB port. Finally, I identify the USB34 with the lowest resistance. There is a ceramic cap after the USB34 port is shorted. I replaced it and the problem has been solved.

Comment

Also worth noting (at least in my case) is checking if there isn't any jumper on the USB headers.

Stupid, I know, but I didn't notice the jumper placed on mine until I got the same message. Then it struck me once I looked closely on the board.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                      X