Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sceptre x22wg-Gamer 22" LCD

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
    I had a partial success with this monitor.

Only the VGA input worked before, and it still only works now. DVI and HDMI still give me "No Signal".

I changed every single capacitor, both on the logic board and PSU, except for one Jackon 47uF 25V which I forgot to order. I also have only that yellow bridge wire on the logic board but not that red one.

Anyone have any idea?
    Did you check the voltage regulators on the logic card? If the outputs are good, replace the IC under the heat sink.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

No. What type and how many pins you figure that IC has? I don't recall having that heatsink on my board. Also, may I ask what your reasoning is to arrive at this conclusion?

VGA input is working which means that the Analog to digital converther is working. DVI has no ADC so what would cause it to fail? Wouldn't it be more logical to assume some type of resistor or fuse has failed on the DVI circuit?
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

No.
        Why not? Verifying voltages are correct is one of the first steps in troubleshooting.
        What type and how many pins you figure that IC has?
        Does it matter?
        I don't recall having that heatsink on my board.
        That statement is ambiguous. Are you saying your board doesn't have a heatsink or your memory is imperfect ?
        Also, may I ask what your reasoning is to arrive at this conclusion?
        Look at the board. I've labeled the relevant points. Note that both the DVI and HDMI lines go through this IC.
        VGA input is working which means that the Analog to digital converther is working. DVI has no ADC so what would cause it to fail?
        Precisely. There is a processor chip on the data lines. It consumes so much power they added a heat sink. Overheating kills ICs.
        Wouldn't it be more logical to assume some type of resistor or fuse has failed on the DVI circuit?
        Hello!!!! This IS the DVI circuit!!

PlainBill
        Attached Files
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hello Bill,

I'm not saying I won't do it, I just said I hadn't done it. Thanks for your help. I will run those tests. I'll also show you my logic board.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Hello Bill,

I'm not saying I won't do it, I just said I hadn't done it. Thanks for your help. I will run those tests. I'll also show you my logic board.
            Always an excellent idea.

PlainBill

Comment

I'm going to have to check the logic board after the cap-swap on the lcd's psu. Really hoping this POS screen will work or I'll have to crush my associate's jaw for blaming me for it's death, even though it's been dead 3 years. Surrounded by tools I am (the human kind).

Comment

Ok so here's the logic board and a closeup of the chips.

The IC behind the HDMI port reads PI3HDMI 412FTBE.
                Datasheet

The IC behind the DVI reads HEF4052BT BA728 14
                Judging by the logo, it is a Phillips part.

This is a bit encouraging. Since both the DVI and the HDMI went, it seems to me the ICs are probably ok, and something minor that is driving them has failed.

Bill, I'm not sure where to probe with my multimeter, can you give me some helpful hints?
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I'm new to the forums and to repairing things like this so please bear with me. I found this thread which seems to cover my problem. My monitor is a x22wg-1080p and the power supply board is almost identical to the one shown in the pictures of the OP.

Every one of my capacitors besides one of the larger 8 and the one smaller one are bulged on the top as shown in the pictures of the OP. Also, the metal in the casing and the metal on the back of the actual LCD is discolored from what looks like overheating. I am thinking about buying the kit to replace all of the capacitors and I have already found the ones I need as a whole kit thanks to the links provided in this thread.

Now here's my question as I am quite ignorant on the subject... Is there possibly some other problem with the power supply board that would cause so many capacitors to go bad, or is it just due to cheap capacitors and the amount of time the monitor was used (2-3 years now)? I would hate to buy and replace the capacitors just to find out that some other part is what's actually causing them to go bad and it all be for naught.

For a bit of background, here is how the problem started and escalated. A few months after I got it, the monitor started randomly shutting off, but I could simply turn it back on and it worked fine so I didn't bother to RMA it. It was a minor problem and not all that big on an inconvenience so I just ignored it. Well as time went by it started doing it more and more frequently. Eventually when I slept at night and it turned off, I would turn it back on in the morning and it would make kind of a clicking sound for a second then go to a completely grey screen. The grey would fade to black slowly and once all black I could shut it off and turn it back on and it would work fine. This would only happen after hours of being off. Well even that got worse to the point where if I left it off for 5 minutes I would have to go through this "warm up" process, and the process took longer and longer over time as well as having to turn it on and off several times. It eventually got so bad that it simply wasn't worth messing with anymore and I put it to the side as trash, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it away.

Recently I found myself in need of dual monitors and decided to pull it apart to see if I could see any evident problems, but my untrained eye didn't catch the bulged capacitor's until I found this thread. Now I'm sure the capacitors are bad and how to replace them, but I want to be sure that capacitors going bad could cause that problem on it's own and that replacing them would fix it.

Very sorry to make such a large wall of text but I wanted to make sure all of the info was there to be looked at by someone more experienced than myself. If need be I can post pictures as well. Thanks very much in advance and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by notajoo View Post
                    Every one of my capacitors besides one of the larger 8 and the one smaller one are bulged on the top as shown in the pictures of the OP.

I am thinking about buying the kit to replace all of the capacitors and I have already found the ones I need as a whole kit thanks to the links provided in this thread.
                    Capacitors die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.

Most members here will recommend that you replace ALL capacitors with reputable brands from reputable sellers. Brands like Rubycon, Panasonic, and United Chemicon are suggested. A list of recommended caps can be found at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

PCBONEZ talks about how to choose the right series at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpos...47&postcount=3

Using quality caps like the above should give you many years of troublefree lcd use.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, thanks much for the quick response. Would you be able to answer the question of whether or not bad capacitors could be the sole cause of the problem that I listed above? That is really my main concern as I am short on cash atm and I can't really afford to fix it and it end up being something else that caused them to have a problem. I have a multimeter but I don't have and can't afford an EST tester now either. I'm pretty sure though based on this post that the capacitors are bad due to the bulging, and the kit I'm looking to buy has all of them so I can replace them all at once, even the ones not visibly damaged.

EDIT: It seems your 2nd link is broken.
                      Last edited by notajoo; 12-19-2010, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Ok so here's the logic board and a closeup of the chips.

The IC behind the HDMI port reads PI3HDMI 412FTBE.
                        Datasheet

The IC behind the DVI reads HEF4052BT BA728 14
                        Judging by the logo, it is a Phillips part.

This is a bit encouraging. Since both the DVI and the HDMI went, it seems to me the ICs are probably ok, and something minor that is driving them has failed.

Bill, I'm not sure where to probe with my multimeter, can you give me some helpful hints?
                        I'm in the same boat as you. My dad actually gave me this monitor a while back and its been collecting dust in an my attic. I fixed the issue with it not turning on due to some capacitors being blown.

Now I'm just trying to figure out why the DVI/HDMI ports aren't working. VGA works fine. Hopefully you'll be able to figure it out on yours and that'll be the same problem on mine.

Comment

This is almost too easy. Excuse me while I slip into lecture mode.

The two ICs serve similar functions. Both are multiplexers - they select from one of two different sets on inputs and feed them to the outputs. The HEF4052 is old technology - 1970's CMOS, and is the equivalent of the Chrysler Airflow. PI3HDMI412FTBE is specifically designed for HDMI. It would be the equivalent of the Bugatti Veyron - if the Veyron could hit 5 Gbps.

The relevant information - HDMI is an upgrade of the DVI standard. It drops the analog capability of DVI and adds digital audio signal lines.

Check the power supply voltage(s) for the PI3HDMI412FTBE on pins 1 and 48. (There are many more pins, but those are easily probed - it's a 48 pin IC). The dimple is pin 1.

One other point - an earlier post mentioned 'fixing the x22wg from the menu'. Make sure the DVI and HDMI inputs are allowed - it seems strange that they wouldn't be, but....

PlainBill
                          Last edited by PlainBill; 12-19-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Would you be able to answer the question of whether or not bad capacitors could be the sole cause of the problem that I listed above?

EDIT: It seems your 2nd link is broken.
                            What brand are the original capacitors? Some have a very poor reputation.

Sorry, here is the link

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...30&postcount=7
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Check the power supply voltage(s) for the PI3HDMI412FTBE on pins 1 and 48. (There are many more pins, but those are easily probed - it's a 48 pin IC). The dimple is pin 1.
                              So 1 probe on pin 1 and one on ground?
                              One other point - an earlier post mentioned 'fixing the x22wg from the menu'. Make sure the DVI and HDMI inputs are allowed - it seems strange that they wouldn't be, but....
                              I checked the debug menu and I didn't see anything in relation to this.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                What brand are the original capacitors? Some have a very poor reputation.
                                The original ones are CapXon. Mainly what I'm asking though is that if bad capacitors alone could cause the problems I described in my first post, and if replacing them would fix it.

Comment

The original ones are CapXon. Mainly what I'm asking though is that if bad capacitors alone could cause the problems I described in my first post, and if replacing them would fix it.
                                  If I look through my box of bad/bloated capacitors, Capxon is well represented. Many people here call the Crapxon.

Bad caps can cause all sorts of problems. No power, taking multiple times to turn on, taking longer and longer to turn on.

The first monitor I repaired had Capxon caps that went all bad. I replaced them with Rubycon MCZ caps and 8 months later the monitor is still running fine.

Assuming you live in the USA and you are really trying to save every penny, try costing out the capacitors at digikey.com and use USPS first class shipping (around $2.75 USD). Follow PlainBill's instructions on how to choose Panasonic FM caps. If FM is not available, then choose Panasonic FC.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2

Compare the ebay "kit" or digikey to see which is cheaper. I'm guessing the digikey with shipping will be less than $10 USD.

PS. Replace ALL the electrolytic capacitors except the biggest one, which rarely, but not never, fails. Trying to save 23 cents by not replacing the smallest cap (usually a 22uF 50V cap) can cause you grief later on.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

So 1 probe on pin 1 and one on ground?
                                    Black probe to ground, check voltages at pin 1 and also pin 48 when monitor is plugged in.

PlainBill

Comment

Great, thanks again for all your help retiredcaps. The "repair kit" I found is something like $13 and has all 8 of the medium sized capacitors and the small one, but it also doesn't list the exact brand or series that I will be getting. I will check out the site you mentioned and price it out and if I do go with the ebay kit I will be sure to verify first with the seller the exact ones I will be getting. It does state that they don't use capxon, but only Panasonic, Nichicon and Rubycon which are all recommended on the link you gave earlier.

Anyway I'll go ahead and look into the pricing and get it ordered and I'll check back in once it's done and hopefully working properly again.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                        Black probe to ground, check voltages at pin 1 and also pin 48 when monitor is plugged in.

PlainBill
                                        When the monitor is on and the CFLs are lit:
                                        Pin 1: 0.03
                                        Pin 48: 4.92~4.93

When the CFLs turn off and the screen goes into standby:
                                        Pin 1: 0.01~0.02
                                        Pin 48: 4.94

I have everything plugged in besides the data cable to the LCD panel inverter to take the measurements. Is this sufficient or should I instead plug that in, and attempt to draw a voltage off the CFL connectors while it is running and then test pins 1 and 48? And if so, what's your preferred method of drawing power from CFL connectors witout actual bulbs?

Comment

I will check out the site you mentioned and price it out and if I do go with the ebay kit I will be sure to verify first with the seller the exact ones I will be getting.
                                          mouser.com also has Panasonic FM and FC caps. mouser.com might be cheaper than digikey?
                                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                          X