Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 23" LCD P2350 Inverter Repair

Originally posted by whistlergonewild View Post
    I believe what I am talking about is the heatsink and voltage regulator.

You can see what I a calling the regulator attached to the heatsink. I believe it is inscripted with:
    f DK16
    S
    65R
    That's not a voltage regulator; it's a power FET.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

This is what it looks like rigged up with a fan.
      Attached Files

Comment

Replaced all five of the 1000uf and the two 47uf....still the same problem.
        In your power FET close up picture, it shows TNR 47uF 50V.

1) Is that the replacement cap or original cap?

2) If it is the replacement cap, is a new cap or a reused cap?

3) Does the TNR have Fuhjyyu on the sleeve?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I ended up finding an old computer power supply, which had several caps in it. I took the 47uf 50V from that. It was really an old power supply so very dusty and you can see the cap is a bit dirty. I know the voltage is a bit high but I thought I would put it in and see what kinda results I got. It is not written Fuhjyyu on the sleeve, but I imagine it may be because all the other caps I ripped outta the power supply do say Fuhjyyu on there sleeves.

I have replaced all the caps now except for the 2 x 1000uf 25V and the really big one. The 3 x 1000uf 10V I replaced with 3 x 1000uf 16v but only 85*C instead of the 105*C that were originally in there. I have 5 x 1000uf 25V 105*C on the way from hong kong, just a matter of time before they get here.

I changed the 12volt CPU fan to operate off the 5.1Volt because it was too loud operating @ 16V. However, now it continues to shut off and on.

Comment

I ended up finding an old computer power supply ...

but I imagine it may be because all the other caps I ripped outta the power supply do say Fuhjyyu on there sleeves.
            Fuhjyyu has the one of worst reputations here. Your problem could very well be that you are using used crappy caps. That is, the original caps are bad and now you are using bad caps again and not eliminating caps as a potential problem.

The cost of *new* quality low ESR caps are cheap when repairing this 23 inch monitor.

Capacitors die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.

Most members here will recommend that you replace ALL capacitors with reputable brands from reputable sellers. Brands like Rubycon, Panasonic, and United Chemicon are suggested. A list of recommended caps can be found at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I do agree with retiredcaps. Replacing crappy caps with used crappy caps is sorta like replacing the flat tire on your car with a spare tire that's also flat. Really difficult to establish a good starting point, since we don't know if your replacement caps are any good or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                Replacing crappy caps with used crappy caps is sorta like replacing the flat tire on your car with a spare tire that's also flat.
                Too funny. I was going to use a tire analogy almost identical to yours in my original post, but decided not to. I guess I should have.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Awesome. I can't wait to get my new good quality caps in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                    That's not a voltage regulator; it's a power FET.
                    Are you sure? Five legs?
                    Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

May be a combined FET and PWM component, regularly used in a lot of monitors,

Comment

Originally posted by pedro View Post
                        Are you sure? Five legs?
                        Well, this is a case of the OP was wrong, but I didn't correctly identify the part either; I was going by the location, not the number of legs. It's not a voltage regulator, it's not a power FET. Rtech is almost certainly correct, it's a SMPS controller and power FET rolled into one.

Which explains why the power supply is shutting down from overheating. Now all someone has to do is come up with an explanation of WHY it is overheating.

PlainBill
                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I have 5 x 1000uf 25V 105*C on the way from hong kong, just a matter of time before they get here.
                          Not to disappoint you, but caps from Hong Kong are usually cheap fakes, most of the time no better than Fuhjyyu, if not worse. Where did you buy them from, eBay? And if so, from which seller? There's only one I know of that sells genuine good quality caps.
                          When you get the caps, post some pictures here. Nothing worse than trying to repair something with cheap parts that don't work properly in the first place.

Comment

Yep. Bought them off eBay from a seller named mastation. They are pictured as nichicon which I believe is a good cap... Unless of coarse they are fakes.

Comment

In that case defiitely post some pictures when you get them.
                              I looked through his store, and from the pictures there, it doesn't look too good at all.
                              Anyone want Rudoycon KYA (Rubycon fakes ) or green Nichicon caps with a H3058 datecode for that matter?

I think you got fakes, unfortunately, but we will see.
                              Last edited by momaka; 05-08-2011, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Why did you buy them off ebay? Do you not live in the US? Digikey, mouser and badcaps has caps for sell and they are about a dollar or less per cap.

if you order from digikey they offer the first class mail option which is the cheapest and the fastest shipping option they have.

Stop beating around the bush and just buy good quality ones.

Comment

Sorry Mad Professor. I live 2 hours north of Vancouver, BC, Canada....the great white north. In a small village called Whistler. I primarily buy all my stuff online. A large amount from ebay.

I didn't mean to insult anybody here by buying from ebay, but I didn't know any better and I was having some difficulty finding caps online in Canada....so the simplest was to go to ebay. I know better now though.

Anyways my friend gave me his monitor so now the Samsung 23" is on the backburner as a project.

Comment

Sorry Mad Professor. I live 2 hours north of Vancouver, BC, Canada....the great white north.
                                    How's it goin' eh?

Digikey.ca is pretty good but flat rate $8.00 Overnight shipping to Canada is the only option, so only worth it for larger orders.

I don't think anyone is offended, but now you knoe Ebay not so good for caps. Good for transistors though, go figure....
                                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Sorry Mad Professor. I live 2 hours north of Vancouver, BC, Canada....the great white north. In a small village called Whistler. I primarily buy all my stuff online. A large amount from ebay.

I didn't mean to insult anybody here by buying from ebay, but I didn't know any better and I was having some difficulty finding caps online in Canada....so the simplest was to go to ebay. I know better now though.

Anyways my friend gave me his monitor so now the Samsung 23" is on the backburner as a project.

Updating profile with location help people from the same area help you find parts that you need.
                                      The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

In a small village called Whistler.
                                        Hmm, I just assumed his badcaps username told us he lived. Home to Canada's first Olympic gold medal on Canadian soil.

And yes, the Canadian presence of *any* merchandise online is pretty terrible.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                          Hmm, I just assumed his badcaps username told us he lived. Home to Canada's first Olympic gold medal on Canadian soil.

And yes, the Canadian presence of *any* merchandise online is pretty terrible.
                                          While I am sure Whistler is a wonderful place to live, the fact is 'Whistler' has a number of possible meanings. And some of those are pretty wild.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                          X