Gigabyte P35 Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte P35 Boards

I agree with all latest posts: drive interface isn't a limiting factor for a single drive (it may be on a raid configuration), and in fact I never stated pata drives are slower than sata counterparts (if the interface is the only difference of course: I won't compare old pata drives to newer sata ones because it's unfair). I wrote that disabling sata2 features, such as ncq, may affect performance, but I didn't explain why and this confused everyone.

IIRC Native Command Queuing is a feature which allow drives to optimize head movements in order to access to drive's sector with less revolutions, so theoretically increasing performance (heads spend a lot of milliseconds waiting to access data and read them, the real transfert rate is a lot inferior than continuous one if your files are fragmented so any improvement in access time is worthly unless we can afford some nice flash-based drives which addressing is row-column based and has a lower, constant latency); it's like scsi's tcq (but not the same thing) and requires explicit support from drive controller (drive's board), sata interface controller (chipset or expansion card) and os (drivers). NCQ should require AHCI in order to work and AHCI is available on Sata2 controllers (perhaps some sata1 too, but I can state this for sure), hence my statement.

BTW, according to Intel the ICH9 doesn't officialy support AHCI on XP (but the ICH9R does and on Vista it works on both versions!) and bgavin's Gigabyte employs this southbridge: this is a [marketing?] limitation in the Intel driver which can be resolved through a bit of driver hacking (nothing serious, only changing a line in the .ini file and adding a registry string). MSFN forum has a detailed guide about this.

Zandrax
    Last edited by zandrax; 02-14-2008, 04:56 AM.
    Have an happy life.

Comment

I concur gdement, the PCI bus limits things too especially on a board with only one PCI bus.
      My server boards have multiple PCI Busses with PCI-X slots, most of which are 66MHz and 64-bit. I dedicate one of the PCI Busses to the RAID card (if possible on the board) so theoretically I could get 266MB/sec if I ever go to a RAID that's not just mirroring.
      (Like I have time,, but,,) I would like to experiment with a dual Xeon Terminal Server with ultra fast drives coupled to some disk-less Terminals through a giga-bit LAN and see how the performance in on the Terminals.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

I won the eBay auction for the GA-P35-DS3 board. It is coming from the UK... seller banged me 20 pounds/$40 USD to ship it. Yikes!

This will be a slow build, as I have to move several other systems off my financing before I get the processor and DDR2-800 memory. I have a Pentium 530 in LGA-775 that I can use to test the board in the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
          I won the eBay auction for the GA-P35-DS3 board. It is coming from the UK... seller banged me 20 pounds/$40 USD to ship it. Yikes!
          Damn! The DS3 + shipping cost almost as a DS3R: you spared nothing, bgavin.

Zandrax
          Have an happy life.

Comment

yeah shipping hurts
            You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

I wasn't looking for a cost savings. I wanted a no-raid board. This DS3 is literally the only non-raid board I could find.

None of my regular supplies carry the non-raid board. I paid for availability, not cost saving.

Comment

I like the Gigabyte P35 boards.... I've had very good luck with them.

Comment

I was at Fry's and saw a Microstar P35 Platinum board. This is the one with the cooling apparatus that looks like a miniature amusement park ride. The board is 100% polymer caps, and has a nice layout. Not sure about the aux chip on board though..

Considering how rare the DS3 (non-raid) boards are, I wonder if there is any stability exposure to running the DS3R, but not using RAID?

Comment

hmmm... i bought a Gigabyte G33M-DS2R board on ebay a few days ago..

most gigabyte P35-based boards have red marked fujitsu polymer caps... but this board (with G33 chipset.. identical to the P35 but + onboard gfx) uses mostly blue marked polys.. any ideas what brand they are...!?

biggest pic i could find on google (as i still don't have the board -.-)

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/gigaby...ds2r/board.jpg

Comment

They're UCC PSC series as far as I can tell.
                      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

wtf? the page added a hotlinking protection :O

anyways...

fujitsu polys

the other polys (really hard to take a photo of them because of the bright blue markings)
                        http://bambooz.pytalhost.net/badcaps...nown_polys.jpg

the problem is that i have to buy a new cpu cooler as my trusty old Zalman CNPS7000B AlCu doesnt fit onto the board because of those fujitsu polys

to be more precisely... the Socket 775 adapter doesnt fit on there
                        http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/...PZA_009_1g.jpg
                        http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/...PZA_009_2g.jpg
                        http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/...PZA_009_3g.jpg

crap

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                          the problem is that i have to buy a new cpu cooler as my trusty old Zalman CNPS7000B AlCu doesnt fit onto the board because of those fujitsu polys

to be more precisely... the Socket 775 adapter doesnt fit on there
                          You are an unlucky man: anyway what about a vertical cooler such as Termalright Ultra 120? It shouldn't interfere with capacitors but require some space into the case and is a bit heavy.

Zandrax
                          Have an happy life.

Comment

scenic, don't tell us you'll put used cpu to used mobo?
                            hehe....
                            c2d cpus are pretty cheap, and they come with their coolers which do the job just fine.

Comment

i bought my E4300 non-boxed (tray) because the boxed cooler sucks
                              and for me it simply didn't make sense to pay 21EUR more for a paper box with a crappy cooler in it back then when i bought it (1 1/2 years ago)

that's why i bought the Socket 775 adapter for my Zalman for 6EUR incl. shipping on ebay instead of paying for the boxed version of my cpu

anyways.. i bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for 5EUR an hour ago on ebay.. hope it fits

edit:

edit2: i wonder how far i can OC my E4300 on the Gigabyte board.
                              on my ASRock 4Core Dual-VSTA i can OC it from 1.8GHz (stock) to 2.61GHz without raising the vcore (as this isn't possible on the ASRock el-cheapo mainboard )
                              20hours primestable and air-cooled
                              Last edited by Scenic; 04-10-2008, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Check out www.frostytech.com for excellent test results on high performance coolers. He also has MP3 sound clips of the various fans under test.

He runs a standardized test process, and also has comparisons by dB(A). Very informative. The Scythe coolers are at the top of the pile for both cooling efficieny and low noise. The Thermalright Ultra 120 is about the best at heat removal, but is noisy.

Check out the Scythe MINE, MUGEN, and INFINITY models. The Mine can be had for $29 USD at most places. It is a very good compromise between quiet and cooling.

I'm probably going with the Mugen or Infinity (same HS, different fan), if my case will allow it.

Comment

the blue ones are chemicon psc.

Comment

@ bgavin: the Ultra 120 is sold without a fan, so the buyer should buy the one he wants. Silentpcreview tested the Ultra with a 120 mm Noctua one and it was quite quiet, though not the quietest at all (see previous link).
                                    Frostytech used another fan and noise mesauring method is different, so results aren't comparable.

Anyway, scenic got a Freezer 7 pro which is noiser than Thermalright or Scyte coolers: let him say if noise is really an issue or not.

Zandrax
                                    Have an happy life.

Comment

During the week of Tax Hell, I did the heat sink research and put together (yet another) spread sheet for all the HSF data I could find. I spent a lot of time of SPCR, FrostyTech, XBitLabs, etc. None of these results are valid between sites, but the FrostyTech data is quite repeatable for comparision with other FrostyTech tests.

The Scythe, Noctua, and Thermalright are the top of the pile. I ruled out the tower HSF, because I have need for a down-draft type to cool the north bridge sink on my GA-P35-DS3 board. Lack of BTM was the show stopper for me with Scythe. I then found out the Thermalright bolt-through-mounting kit works well on the Scythe units.

Most of the Thermalright towers do not have fixed mounting, meaning they can swivel/rotate under the spring clip that holds them down. No thanks. They also seem to have a convex base, which is at odds with the very flat heat spreaders of the Intel processors. Photos of the paste pattern show the results of partial contact. Despite this, the Ultra 120 is still the king of the cooling mountain.

After long consideration of all the above, I ordered the Zipang for my DS3 board, and the XP-90 for a D875PBZ I'm preparing for a client. Both use BTM mounting, and neither can swivel. Both are down draft designs that blow a lot of air on the VRM, memory and north bridge. Unlike the Enzotech Ultra-X type, the Zipang and XP-90 support the fin structure from both sides of the base. There is no fulcrum moment to strain the heat pipes.

Neither project is over clocked, but the D875PBZ is getting a Northwood 3.4 GHz processor with a TDP of 89 watts.

Newegg is still out of stock on the E8400 processor, so the DS3 board will get a Pentium D 530 that I have laying about in the interim. The DS3 is getting 2gb of Corsair XMS2 for $29 after rebate. I'll post photos when I start the builds.

Comment

well.. i got the freezer 7 pro a few days ago..

set up everything for testing.. powered the minimal system (CPU, RAM, graphics card, keyboard, psu) on... 1 beep and then nothing.. WTF?

i tried everything (bios/cmos reset, other RAM (5 different ones), other psu, other gfx card, ...) i even asked in the Gigabyte Support forum what this could be (1 long beep after powering on and then nothing happens) but they never heard of that...

the only thing they suggested was to RMA it if it's still under warranty.
                                        and there's the next problem...:
                                        the ***** seller didn't ship the bill (for the warranty) with the board.
                                        i tried sending him emails and messages via eBay (a.k.a. eGay or ePay)..
                                        guess what? he didnt answer.. but he's still starting new auctions almost every day..

f*ck those idiots

well... i think this board is f*cked.. maybe the previous owner flashed a wrong (for example: G33M-DS3R) BIOS onto this G33M-DS2R)

i paid 55€ (euro) (approx. 87US$) for this board

§%ß*&%ß"*&%"$§!!!!!!1111oneoneoneeleven

edit:

i sold my old board before the Gigabyte arrived.
                                        so now i have to use my old (and soooooooo f**king slooooooooow) Thinkpad 770X (Pentium II 300, 192MB RAM, 8GB HDD)
                                        this thing drives me mad
                                        Last edited by Scenic; 04-15-2008, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Do you have a metal backing plate that is shorting out on back side pins?

Try the board with a simple HSF and without the backing plate.

Comment

Working...
                                          X