ECS KT600-A Rev 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECS KT600-A Rev 1.0

Board is around a year and a half old... extremely unstable. You can load windows, but then it just crashes no matter what after that. Main caps on the board are (7) OST 3300uf 6.3v. None are visibly bad, but I'm going to try replacing them with Nichicon's and see if it becomes stable again. If it does, I will likely use this board in my main computer, as it's nicer than the one that I have in there now :o

Unfortunately, Mouser has those caps backordered 'til February 6th, so it'll be a week or two 'til I get them in anyway...
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: ECS KT600-A Rev 1.0

Recapped the board and it seems to be 100% stable now. The only thing I couldn't get to work were the SATA ports, and I think that might be a problem with the drive I was testing with. The drive does work on a different SATA controller, but I can't get it to be picked up at all on this one. At any rate, the board is perfectly stable with an IDE drive. Here's the pics:

After the Recap, with Nichicon caps:

The old OST caps that I removed:

Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

You used Nichicon VZ? It's not a low-ESR, high ripple-current series - but it may be adequate for a lot of motherboard bypass applications; it's fairly inexpensive and available in compact sizes. Keep us posted on how it holds up in a motherboard VRM application - I'm a little skeptical.

Comment

I think that it will last at least two years, probably more.
        BTW. Good to know that OSTs can be bad without bulging.

Comment

Hmm... i didn't realise that they were not a low ESR cap. I just picked out what I thought were the best for the price! I did notice that although they're the same diameter as teh OST caps, they're a little shorter... is that bescause they're not low ESR?
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Here's a link to the caps i used- http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?hand..._pcodeid=64704

I just picked the only 105 degree 6.3v 3300uf 10mm dia caps i could find.
            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

It will perhaps work, but with a reduced life-time due to the high ripple-current in the VRM. What is useful is the tradeoff between operating temperature, ripple current and endurance. You can have higher ripple currents if you're willing to settle for a shorter lifetime and/or can keep the caps cool.

Comment

I need some capsinks
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Fry's was blasting these combos out at bargain prices... (Sempron + KT600-A etc)

Maybe it will come back to haunt them...

MD
                  Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

IT actually looks to be a very decent board, with the exception of those caps... SATA RAID, lots of slots, lots of USB ports. Probably one of the better featured skt A boards I've seen.
                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

They are decent boards...

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

It picks up SATA drives just fine *thumbs up*. The drive I was using is SATAII (3.0gbps) and needed a jumper to be set to SATAI speeds. After doing that, it picked it right up. I believe this board is going to be going into my main system tonight. It has better features than the Gigabyte board I have in there now, and I've been looking to upgrade to SATA.

That will also give me the opportunity to do a true long-term test on these caps
                        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Dood it seems that you are aware that those 3000uf Nichicon VZ are not a good VRM choice. Why not get better MBZ from TC?
                          Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                          Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                          160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                          160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                          Samsung 18x DVD writer
                          Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                          33 way card reader
                          Windows XP Pro SP3
                          Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                          17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                          HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

At the time, it was the price, and that I wanted to get them in 3 days instead of waiting... Maybe if I have the desire to, I'll order the MBZ later and recap it again. For now, it's working fine and is stable. I put it in my machine last night with an Athlon 2200+ (1.8ghz) and immediately overclocked to 1.96ghz and everythings been running fine. I did a fresh reload of windows XP and everything went well...
                            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

FYI

Shared PCB:

ECS KT600-A
                              Soyo SY-KY600 Dragon+
                              Matsonic MS8177C v1.1
                              Kobian KVT600X-L

I'd expect the same to occur on those boards as well.

MD

Comment

Matsonic and Mercury/Kobian are known to sell ECS/PC Chips boards. I thought that soyo makes their own boards...at least they used to.

Comment

ECS/PCCHIPS motherboards are good decent boards. I have a PCCHIPS board and my brother has an ECS board. The only problem is that both of the boards me and my brother are using both have defective rear microphone ports, because they didn't work right out of the box and everything in my computer is configured properly and the microphones used to test it were confirmed working in my dad's laptop!

dood, does your ECS board have a defective rear microphone port?
                                  Last edited by Newbie2; 02-09-2006, 04:38 PM.
                                  My gaming PC:
                                  AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                                  ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                                  PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                                  G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                                  TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                                  WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                                  ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                                  Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                                  Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                                  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                                  Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Don't know... don't ever use the microphone port. I do have something connected to the line in, and line out, and they're both working fine.
                                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

http://radel.inet.net.nz/m810lmr.html#misc - see #39

Comment

Thanks for the info Rainbow. Why does ECS/PCCHIPS have to get incorrectly made microphone ports for their motherboards?

The microphones I use are dynamic microphones and they do not work with my PCCHIPS motherboard or my brother's ECS motherboard. But it said on the site that condensor microphones work.

I have a PCCHIPS M955G motherboard and my brother has an ECS PM800-M2 motherboard.
                                        Last edited by Newbie2; 02-09-2006, 05:37 PM.
                                        My gaming PC:
                                        AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                                        ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                                        PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                                        G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                                        TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                                        WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                                        ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                                        Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                                        Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                                        Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                                        Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                                        X