Corsair HX650 no power (possible fix ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corsair HX650 no power (possible fix ?)

Good day folks. I've got a pretty tempting project on my hands here: someone gave me a Corsair HX650 semi-modular PSU to have a look and said I could keep it if I can't figure it out...how could I say no to that ? The game was on !

So: the thing doesn't turn on despite 5vSB being present on the purple wire - one of the worst case scenarios and the most difficult situations to diagnose....
    Took the board out (which took way longer than necessary) and started measuring stuff...no shorts in any of the main semis, obviously, since the fuse is OK and has standby. No obvious signs of capacitor failure either.

I slowly began tracking the problem down to the only major component that could pe causing this sort of behaviour: the UCC28515 IC located on a small riser in the very corner of the supply, tucked away behind the PFC coil....ok, now what ? I browser around a bit and found THIS where they actually managed to fix one. It's a different corsair PSU, but it's almost identical nonetheless. I'm hoping there are some native russian speakers around here who can translate that better than google can, but it was enough for me to sort-of get the gist. Apparently I was right on the UCC IC being the cause: it's not receiving VCC due to a small SMD transistor gone bad, apparently Q306 from what I can make out. I don't have the PSU in front of me right now, so I'm having a hard time following where this transistor is located, esp since they weren't clever enough to actually mention the damn part number :| I THINK it's near the pins where the daughter-board plugs into the main PCB.

Will do some more testing tmmoz and post back. Just wanted to open the thread in case someone had a similar experience or at least one that comes close and can provide some feedback. Cheers....no need for pictures since the russian forum has all you may need
    Wattevah...

Re: Corsair HX650 no power (possible fix ?)

pls make pics of that unit and post it here.

PS: I'm interested in the Supervisior IC, if it has LM339 or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
      pls make pics of that unit and post it here.

PS: I'm interested in the Supervisior IC, if it has LM339 or not.
      There are some pics on the forum I linked to. I'm guessing you're looking for a specific component. I shall post some pics later today hopefully.
      Wattevah...

Comment

Did some more digging and even drew a partial schematic of the area that interests me (gotta love that dirty toilet paper I drew on )...I suspect Q310 not "opening" to let VCC get to the IC. 17v from the stand-by supply are present on the emitter of Q310, but I only get around 2.3v on the collector (output). Now I'm trying to find a replacement for it. What could t06 mean ? This website tells me that t06 is a PDTC124EU NPN...should I go with that ?

I couldn't find a "W06" the russians were talking about.....
        Attached Files
        Wattevah...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
          There are some pics on the forum I linked to. I'm guessing you're looking for a specific component. I shall post some pics later today hopefully.
          Yes, I'm looking for the Area where the green and grey cable are soldered to front and back side.

That should be the Protection IC.

Comment

I made another discovery: apparently the W06 the guys were talking about is identical to my t06....a PDTC124EU also, so I think I'm on the right track. Still, I can't quite understand why they removed Q306 also (see it removed in one of the pictures there)...that's what threw me off a bit there....
            Wattevah...

Comment

Ok, while I'm waiting for the transistors to arrive, I'll tend to your request as well. Here's the part in question.
              Attached Files
              Wattevah...

Comment

Whenever I see an SMD transistor ending in "04", "05", or "06", I can't help but think of the 2N3904, 2N3905, and 2N3906 general purpose transistors (the 04 is NPN type, while the 05 and 06 versions are PNP). On that note, are you sure the "mystery" transistor in your schematic is not a PNP type? The way it's connected, it would make more sense if it is PNP. When the optocoupler is turned ON, it pulls the Base of the transistor low, and that allows the 17V Vcc supply to flow through the transistor to the PWM controller.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  Whenever I see an SMD transistor ending in "04", "05", or "06", I can't help but think of the 2N3904, 2N3905, and 2N3906 general purpose transistors (the 04 is NPN type, while the 05 and 06 versions are PNP). On that note, are you sure the "mystery" transistor in your schematic is not a PNP type? The way it's connected, it would make more sense if it is PNP. When the optocoupler is turned ON, it pulls the Base of the transistor low, and that allows the 17V Vcc supply to flow through the transistor to the PWM controller.
                  Yes, it would make a lot of sense for it to be a PNP, but the marking tells me otherwise. Could it be because the emitter is connected to volts and the collector is used as the output ? That way, the base would be of an opposite sign and "attract" the current....could be HORRIBLY wrong though, so I may have identified the part wrong....
                  Wattevah...

Comment

Have a look here....there's capital letters as well as lowercase ones on those bastards...I'd say it's pretty clear the one I got is a lowercase T, which would make it a NPN, however its uppercase counterpart directly above it in the list is indeed a PNP, to further confuse things....did they really need both upper and lowercase characters to identify these parts ?! They're small enough as they are, so this adds another layer of frustration
                    Last edited by Dannyx; 03-04-2018, 02:59 PM. Reason: Added link
                    Wattevah...

Comment

Very contradictory info here, since both the W06 and t(lowercase)06 are NPNs PDTC124EU, whereas the russians claim that W06 stands for PMBS3906 which is PNP which would make more sense. My board indeed has a t06 there, so who do I trust ? What's the worst thing that could happen ?
                      Wattevah...

Comment

Decided to go with the PMBS3906 PNP type, since my experience tells me a PNP should go there and it's probably O6 not zero-6, which WOULD make it a PMBS whatever....I sent my buddy off to get some from the local radioshack, but he came back with the wrong type.....I'm running out of time here, so I'll stick a TO-92 2N3906 in there to see if it at least fires up...
                        Wattevah...

Comment

Made a little bit more progress: I ran some wires from the TO-92 transistor to the respective pads to replace the SOT-23 one and it DID fire up.....for a second. Nothing went boom, but I DID see the voltage on the main cap rising to around 380v and the outputs went high then stopped....it could be because there's no load....haven't tried it yet...I doubt it though. Something's still cutting out...
                          Wattevah...

Comment

PSU is working now: the missing load was causing the issue. I put a 12v car headlight on the output and it remained on. Apparently the fan itself is that minimum load, since when I closed it back up, I removed the lamp and left the supply just on its own and it still worked. Anyway, case closed for now. Will keep you guys posted if it blows up overnight
                            Wattevah...

Comment

Thank you. It worked for me. I replaced it with bv4 (2SB624BV4)

Comment

Working...
                              X