Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #721
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Default Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Dang!
That is some serious hardware. Where are those dumpsters you go to?
We process "discards" (regular maintenance cycles) from local businesses, etc. Usually, with an eye towards putting the kit back into service (i.e., furnishing classrooms in disadvantaged areas, third world countries, etc.).

The T7400's are behemoths so there is little use for them; much prefer smaller desktop (SFF/USFF) boxes with "generic" capabilities (e.g., a single disk plus optical, motherboard video and network connection).

By contrast, I stuff a few TB into each box, SCSI HBAs, motion controller, tablet, dual dual-head video, etc.
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #722
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
Where are you located in the world?
Desert southwest.

Quote:
If you don't have a use for the SAS drives Topcat and I are always using them for things (for example, if my X7DWA hardware ever gets reused, I'll want to run SAS drives in the build).

I have 8 of such drives (15K) in my main rig. Old but fast... and somewhat loud. Fits me well .
I'll move them into the box that I use for rendering video. While strictly not necessary (as you can render in non-real-time), it would make it easier to get to post.

Looking at a pair of M1000's with 300G 15K SAS drives, presently...
Old 12-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #723
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.George View Post
We process "discards" (regular maintenance cycles) from local businesses, etc. Usually, with an eye towards putting the kit back into service (i.e., furnishing classrooms in disadvantaged areas, third world countries, etc.).

The T7400's are behemoths so there is little use for them; much prefer smaller desktop (SFF/USFF) boxes with "generic" capabilities (e.g., a single disk plus optical, motherboard video and network connection).
Seems like everyone prefers those small hot shoe boxes for some reason. Last week, I picked up several tower/desktop computers that were destined for recycling from a local repair shop. The guy there said I can take all the big desktops no problem, but to leave all of the small (true) desktops. Speaking of the T7400's, that guy had two of them as well, but he said these were the only big towers he wanted to keep, as they are still capable of server duty (and he's right ).
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:51 AM   #724
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Seems like everyone prefers those small hot shoe boxes for some reason. Last week, I picked up several tower/desktop computers that were destined for recycling from a local repair shop. The guy there said I can take all the big desktops no problem, but to leave all of the small (true) desktops.
Most folks seem to want to position their machines on the desktop, nowadays -- perhaps for ease of access to USB connections, optical drive, etc. By contrast, in the past, "towers" could sit on the floor -- with the items that needed to be most often accessed residing up near the top. And, most workstations, nowadays, don't need more than one "accessible" drive (usually optical) and one internal drive.

I keep most of my machines on the floor as a way to conserve desk space. I have two or four 24-30 inch monitors at each workstation so there's little room for a desktop machine -- unless I put it under the monitors (which then raises the monitors to an uncomfortable viewing height).

I have at least two optical drives in each machine (tower) along with several internal drives (typically 4-8T per machine). And, SCSI or SAS HBA's to access external drive arrays/devices. And, "card reader" and floppy drive (my prom programmer uses floppies so its more convenient to have them easily accessible on machines instead of having to move files to a particular machine that is equipped with a floppy drive).

Quote:
Speaking of the T7400's, that guy had two of them as well, but he said these were the only big towers he wanted to keep, as they are still capable of server duty (and he's right ).
Their big advantage (over more conventional, e.g., 1-2U servers) is that they are much quieter! Really large diameter fans that can run at lower RPM's. I scrapped my 1U and 2U servers because the fan noise was deafening. I'll be scrapping my blade server, soon, for similar reasons (sounds like someone is running an industrial vacuum cleaner).

The 7400's are also nice in that they support dual PCIe interfaces so I can put a pair of dual-head video adapters in each (four monitors per workstation).
Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #725
tmcw
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Ireland
My Country: Ireland
Line Voltage: 240V AC, 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

In the trash at work today were the following...

- 2 Dell E5500 laptops, only missing hard drives, but caddies are there. One missing a battery, plus 2 PSUs for them
- 10 (yes, ten!) GTX 480 graphics cards, 8 still sealed in the anti-static bags, and in the box they were shipped in from Hong Kong in 2012 (are these any good?)
- a Geforce GTX 580 and a Quadro FX580
- an old BlackStar push button multimeter
- HP E3610A PSU
- A triple (!) PSU with analogue dial
- a counter-timer Multimeter with a broken display cover, TTi branded
- a nice looking 22" or 24" Sun Microsystems monitor, WDZF model number, with a funny stand

There were also 5 or 6 Netras, which I didn't take, and what looked to be a 17" Dell LCD monitor, around 2000 vintage I'd say, with external PSU.

There was also a Sun keyboard, similar style/colour to the monitor, I might go back for it.

There was also an empty GTX Titan box, I guess whoever dumped the other graphics cards, recently got the Titan.

Last edited by tmcw; 12-14-2017 at 10:33 AM..
tmcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #726
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents
I'm a: Professional Tech

sun keyboards are great - i have 2.
stj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #727
tmcw
Badcaps Veteran

Yes, I went back for the keyboard, it's a Type 7 UNIX one, a little dirty, but should clean up ok. Keys feel good.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #728
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

dont know that one, mine are type-5

Last edited by stj; 12-14-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Old 12-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #729
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcw View Post
In the trash at work today were the following...

- a nice looking 22" or 24" Sun Microsystems monitor, WDZF model number, with a funny stand
It's a decent monitor. But, you'll really want to use it at its native resolution (1920x1200 IIRC) as it doesn't autoscale well. Verify that it has DVI connectors (it should as it is "reasonably" new) as you don't want to have to screw around with 13W3 adapters.

Quote:
There was also a Sun keyboard, similar style/colour to the monitor, I might go back for it.
Most likely a type 6 keyboard. Note that it won't have the same sort of "magic buttons" that you'd encounter on a PC (e.g., to call up a calculator, multimedia controls, browser actions, etc.). Instead, the buttons (left side of keyboard) are Sun-specific (Compose, Cut, etc.). If its an older keyboard, it will have a special "serial" interface (not USB). Note that the feel is less than ideal -- they tend to be mushy.

Also note the positions of Control, Shift and Caps Lock keys! This can be a real nuisance if you're not used to it (or don't remap them).
Old 12-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #730
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:
Most folks seem to want to position their machines on the desktop, nowadays -- perhaps for ease of access to USB connections, optical drive, etc.
Well, no doubt that's the reason why. But still, there are large $10 USB hubs that can bring out a USB connection anywhere on your desktop without the need for the computer to be there at all. Personally, I think that's a better idea than getting a mini desktop computer.

Quote:
- 10 (yes, ten!) GTX 480 graphics cards, 8 still sealed in the anti-static bags, and in the box they were shipped in from Hong Kong in 2012 (are these any good?)
Yes, these are still respectably-performing video cards. About on par with the GTX 560 TI, maybe even slightly better (but also quite a bit more power-hungry and only DX11, IIRC). I can tell you for a fact that the 560 TI easily sells for $30-50 used on eBay in the USA. With yours being new, I'm pretty sure you would be able to sell them for at least $30-40 per card... so that's at least $300-400 right there in your hands.

The rest of the stuff is pretty good too. I never pass on old keyboards, if I can find one anymore. I love the beige PS/2 Dell QuietKeys (the ones that look a bit like IBM Model M).
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:42 PM   #731
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Well, no doubt that's the reason why. But still, there are large $10 USB hubs that can bring out a USB connection anywhere on your desktop without the need for the computer to be there at all. Personally, I think that's a better idea than getting a mini desktop computer.
Yes, but it's yet another thing to clutter your desk, more cables to address (monitor, USB hub, etc.), another thing that can go wrong, etc. I frequently "eject" the memory card reader when I mean to eject a memory card.

And, it still doesn't address the optical drive's accessibility.

I want the desktop to be available for me to clutter with things that are more interesting -- than a silly piece of machinery! (and the space under the desk can't be used for anything other than my feet, anyway!)

I increasingly see businesses using AOI's and SFF/USFF boxes hiding behind monitors. There is some appeal to this -- pick "it" up and you've got everything -- instead of having to crawl under the bench to unplug cables.

It can also be cheaper (I see lots of 12-18 inch video cables, nowadays, replacing the 6 ft cables from the past as they no longer have to worry about the monitor being so far away from the "CPU").
Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #732
Behemot
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Prague, 504'52.22"N, 1423'30.45"E
My Country: CZ
Line Voltage: 230 V/50 Hz

Yeah it's great, just failing so much more and with close to none upgradability. I'll pass, thanks.

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!
Behemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #733
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
Yeah it's great, just failing so much more and with close to none upgradability. I'll pass, thanks.
Most businesses (the source of those sorts of machines) aren't concerned with upgrades or failures; they'll dump the machines in 18 months in favor of a new crop of equally bad boxes!

If you want a machine (or components thereof) that have a chance of surviving longer than a single upgrade cycle, you have to go looking for the company's servers and not their crop of workstations that they put out there for their generic employees!
Old 12-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #734
Behemot
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Prague, 504'52.22"N, 1423'30.45"E
My Country: CZ
Line Voltage: 230 V/50 Hz

I know that corporations are bunch of morons filled with pricks, no need to remind me, and they waste still OK HW instead of paying people better. There is nothing good about that though.

Fren' of mine works in a company acquired by T-M. They too decided some shit like thin clients instead of upgrading generation old i5 machines with more memory and SSD, so now it is even worse than it was (and in case of some internal network problem, whole company can go home sooner as nobody could do anything). The machines are so "bad" that when they decided to sell them on internal trade system to the employees, they've been sold out in like 60 seconds.
Behemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #735
tmcw
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
It's a decent monitor. But, you'll really want to use it at its native resolution (1920x1200 IIRC) as it doesn't autoscale well. Verify that it has DVI connectors (it should as it is "reasonably" new) as you don't want to have to screw around with 13W3 adapters.
Yes, it has VGA and DVI. DVI is working, but VGA isn't, at least it's not autoswitching to VGA, maybe it doesn't have autoswitching. Of the 5 panel buttons, 3 don't seem to be working, including SOURCE, so I'll need to crack open the case to see what's up with the buttons.

Quote:
Most likely a type 6 keyboard. Note that it won't have the same sort of "magic buttons" that you'd encounter on a PC (e.g., to call up a calculator, multimedia controls, browser actions, etc.). Instead, the buttons (left side of keyboard) are Sun-specific (Compose, Cut, etc.). If its an older keyboard, it will have a special "serial" interface (not USB). Note that the feel is less than ideal -- they tend to be mushy.

Also note the positions of Control, Shift and Caps Lock keys! This can be a real nuisance if you're not used to it (or don't remap them).
It's a type 7. It is USB, and it has 3 female USB ports; I read on a thread elsewhere that the keyboard can act as a USB hub. It does have a lot of extra keys compared to a regular Windows one, which didn't seem to work out-of-the-box when plugged into a Windows machine. Maybe a Linux machine can use more of the buttons with any messing.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:05 AM   #736
tmcw
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
- an old BlackStar push button multimeter
- HP E3610A PSU
- A triple (!) PSU with analogue dial
- a counter-timer Multimeter with a broken display cover, TTi branded
A picture of the test equipment, for anyone whos interested...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4xequip.jpg (359.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-15-2017, 02:12 AM   #737
tmcw
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Yes, these are still respectably-performing video cards. About on par with the GTX 560 TI, maybe even slightly better (but also quite a bit more power-hungry and only DX11, IIRC). I can tell you for a fact that the 560 TI easily sells for $30-50 used on eBay in the USA. With yours being new, I'm pretty sure you would be able to sell them for at least $30-40 per card... so that's at least $300-400 right there in your hands.

The rest of the stuff is pretty good too. I never pass on old keyboards, if I can find one anymore. I love the beige PS/2 Dell QuietKeys (the ones that look a bit like IBM Model M).
Thanks for the info. I thought there might still be some value/use to them. I've never been into or used graphics cards much, except for lower end ones using the DMS-59 connectors for dual-monitor setup.

I don't even have a PSU that would be able to run, let alone connect to these graphics cards.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:27 AM   #738
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
I know that corporations are bunch of morons filled with pricks,
far more polite than i would have put it.

i found out last week that a friend works at a network security company.
they buy the latest laptops using i5 or better cpu's - like T460s's
they use them for 3-6months - then drive a forklift over them!!!!!

big joke is they all have computrace and Lenovo remote-spyware in the uefi and are installed with win10.
so no security left to compromise!!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #739
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Yes, it has VGA and DVI. DVI is working, but VGA isn't, at least it's not autoswitching to VGA, maybe it doesn't have autoswitching. Of the 5 panel buttons, 3 don't seem to be working, including SOURCE, so I'll need to crack open the case to see what's up with the buttons.
It's new enough that I suspect it will work with at least some PC video standards ("modes"). Older Sun monitors had wacky resolutions (e.g., 1152x900, 2048x1536). However, you may find that displaying images at other than the native resolution causes them to be "shrunk" -- surrounded by unused black space on the screen. E.g., try a 1280x1024 source.

Quote:
It's a type 7. It is USB, and it has 3 female USB ports; I read on a thread elsewhere that the keyboard can act as a USB hub. It does have a lot of extra keys compared to a regular Windows one, which didn't seem to work out-of-the-box when plugged into a Windows machine. Maybe a Linux machine can use more of the buttons with any messing.
The keyboard can only supply minimal power to any clients. I.e.,if you try to hang a 2" USB disk drive off those ports, it likely won't spin up (or, may take the keyboard offline).

The "extra keys" have specific uses under Slowaris (Solaris). You can probably get the "basic" keys (including the function keys across the top) to work -- I've used a Type 6 on a PC when I was in a jam -- but most of the other keys will probably be dead to you (the keys to the left as well as the keys in the upper right corner). In particular, you won't be able to turn on your PC using the "power" key.

Play with the "regular" portion of the keyboard for a while before you decide to invest any time trying to get the whole thing working. I've never liked the "feel" of any of the Sun keyboards -- they feel "sluggish".

Also, pay very close attention to the actual key layout. I use a type 5c on my Ultra60 and a type 6 on my SB2000 (and I can't recall what's on the Voyager). In addition to the vastly different feel (I use Dell SK8135's for most of my other machines and often am typing on two keyboards, simultaneously), the key placements are slightly different. So, its not uncommon to strike the wrong key and have to correct myself. (STUDY the actual key layout carefully as many of the differences are subtle. Hopefully the images in the links are detailed enough for the differences to be noted)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #740
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
i found out last week that a friend works at a network security company.
they buy the latest laptops using i5 or better cpu's - like T460s's
they use them for 3-6months - then drive a forklift over them!!!!!
We have a firm that regularly donates large numbers of machines. They've "thoughtfully" removed all the hard drives and placed them in a separate box. Each drive having either three 1/4" dia holes drilled straight through the platter area or an 1/8" wide saw cut from the edge, inward, almost to the spindle.