LCM-22w2...another story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCM-22w2...another story...

Well, so the story goes, I had problems with this monitor about a year ago where it would come on and work sometimes, but other times the screen would be blank. I'd have to turn it on and off numerous times to get it to show the display. Well, after some interweb searching, I found out that this monitor has issues with Caps going bad. So, I opened it up and found there were indeed leaking caps. So, after research, I ordered a kit that contained all 9 caps, a very tini tiny thing (don't know what it's called, forgive me) and 2 transistors/mosfets (the 2 things just to the right of the 2 big transformer looking things (can you tell I don't know what all these things are called?!). When I received that kit, I only replaced the caps that were bulging. This fixed my issue.

Now, a little over a year later, the monitor just went out. When I turn it on, I get the 2 seconds to black deal that I've read about recently. So, I dug out the rest of the caps from that kit I bought a year ago and replaced the remaining caps, even though they weren't bulging (but I've read that it doesnt have to bulge to be bad). Still get the same issue.

So, i did a little more research and came across a thread about this same monitor and to check if the CCFLs were bad, they hooked up some from another monitor to see which was bad. Well, I did that last night. I took a Dell 17 monitor from work and opened it up to expose the leads for the CCFLs.

I hooked them both up to my monitor (externally, didnt want to take apart my screen that deep until I knew if one of them was bad or not) and they both came on and stayed on. No 2 seconds to black.
    So, I hooked 1 of the CCFLs from my monitor up and 1 from the Dell up. Same results. They both stayed on until the monitor was turned off manually.
    So, I hooked the other CCFL from my monitor and kept the Dell CCFL hooked up. Same result! I was HOPING that one or the other configuration would yield a different result, but such wasn't the case.

What else would y'all suggest? I initially thought that since my monitor kept the 2 CCFLs from the Dell lit without going out, that 1 of the 2 bulbs or the associated wiring was the problem, but now I'm just stumped!

For what it's worth, I CAN see a picture on the monitor when the CCFLs go out but using a bright light shining on the screen.

Any direction on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

I did take some pictures, but they were too large for the on-site uploader, so i put them in Photobucket. Here is the link to the album:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xtre...?sort=3&page=1

Re: LCM-22w2...another story...

There are 4 connectors, indicating 4 CCFLs, did you test all 4 ?
    They are in pairs, top and bottom.
    Last edited by diif; 09-18-2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I guess i didnt. I thought that, because the wiring colors are different, that it was 2 CCFLs, not 4. So the different colors dont mean anything?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by xtremeskier97; 09-18-2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I don't think so. Have you put the cables like that or is that how they were ? it looks like the middle two need to be swapped around after you've tested the other two CCFL tubes.

Comment

Thats how it was setup from the factory.

Comment

It sounds like you may have been testing them 2 bulbs at a time. That won't work. You need to test them one bulb at a time. The wires colors don't matter. It's the wire thickness that matters. The thicker wire is the input, and the thinner wire goes to the feedback circuit.
            So you just need to plug 1 of the lamps from the Dell into the connectors at a time. 3 times out of 4 it should go 2 seconds to black. Then when you hit the bad bulb the monitor will stay on, because you have the good Dell bulb plugged in.

Extremeskier from Louisana? That's a new one on me!
            Last edited by Lumberjack777; 09-19-2014, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
              It sounds like you may have been testing them 2 bulbs at a time. That won't work. You need to test them one bulb at a time. The wires colors don't matter. It's the wire thickness that matters. The thicker wire is the input, and the thinner wire goes to the feedback circuit.
              So you just need to plug 1 of the lamps from the Dell into the connectors at a time. 3 times out of 4 it should go 2 seconds to black. Then when you hit the bad bulb the monitor will stay on, because you have the good Dell bulb plugged in.
              This makes a lot of sense. I guess I just thought that one of the plugs was the return instead of one of the wires in each PLUG being the return. I will try this tonight and post back my findings.

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
              Extremeskier from Louisana? That's a new one on me!
              Heh, I'm not FROM here, though I've lived here for the last 14+ years. I was born and raised in Virginia, and made the username when I lived in Northern VA when I skied. Take a guess how long my skis have been sitting in my closet...LoL

Comment

Is this normal? (see pic)
                Attached Files

Comment

That's fine. It's just adhesive that cracked because the component was moved a little.

Comment

Ok, so I finally was able to test for which of the 4 bulbs was bad. 3 of the 4 tests continued to do the 2 seconds to black, so the bulb that was disconnected on the 1 test that worked correctly is the culprit. Now I have to take the display further apart to determine if it's the wiring or the CCFL itself. It is 1 of the 2 at the top of the display (not sure if that's the more common one to go on this particular model, or any model for that matter). I will be doing that tonight.

I tried contacting CCFLwarehouse.com to find out which CCFL would be the one I need and the cost (if it's not the wiring) but they said I have to take the display COMPLETELY apart to find a model/brand of the actual LCD screen, instead of using the model of the monitor.

Comment

The brand/model of the panel is usually on a sticker on the rear of the panel.
                      You need to strip it down anyway to find the fault. Just work your way round methodically releasing the fixings. Especially careful at the top with the flex cable. Depending on the design it can be flipped 180 out of the way.

The monitors that i have fixed with CCFL issues have all been at the top, i guess due to heat.

Have you got a photo of the rear of the panel with the boards removed ?

Comment

I can see that the top would get the most heat, so it's understandable they would most likely go out first.

Should I replace BOTH CCFLs at the top then? Surely the other wouldnt be that far behind, right?

I don't know if I have any other pictures with the boards removed. The monitor is still taken apart at home (im at work) so I'd be able to check as soon as I get home this evening.

There were 2 stickers on the back of the panel with a bunch of letters and numbers, but CCFLwarehouse.com said neither of them were of any use. They said I'd have to dig even deeper into the monitor to find out the model/make.

Comment

From experience there are two reasons the CCFL shows a fault. Either a worn/old tube itself, indicated by dark at the end, or faulty/burnt wiring.

Until you strip it down you won't know which it is.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well, i'm hoping its just the wiring. I'll know later tonight and I'll post my findings.

Thanks!

Comment

Well, here are the results...

I still can't tell what make/model this screen is. There are NO other markings by which to tell who made this lcd panel.
                              Attached Files

Comment

So, I'm not sure what to do. CCFLwarehouse.com is unable to help me without a model/make of the panel and I don't have a micrometer to measure the diameter of this thing.

Comment

Great job getting it out, the failed tube is obvious. I'd replace both of them.
                                  Have you got a ruler ? You should be able to measure the difference between 2.0mm and 2.4mm diameter.
                                  Can we see the stickers ?

Comment

I have a list of backlight sizes, that I took off a supplier at one time, and for a 22" Widescreeen they show 480mm x 2.4mm..these will also fit 21.5" and 21.6" monitors.Hope that helps.

Comment

These are the ONLY markings on the back of the LCD panel. CCFLWAREHOUSE.COM said they mean nothing.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

They're right.
                                        How do the measurements of your CCFL compare to the 480mm x 2.4mm suggested above ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X