I can be an idiot sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can be an idiot sometimes

I've been looking for the longest time for some nice rack mountable cases for my amplifier projects, but haven't found anything really cheap, most of them are $30+ which isn't worth it when most of the amp is made from scrap parts.

Now, i desperately need a case to house some amp guts for next weekend, but more on that later. I have one that would fit, but it has no rear vent holes (and i'm going to need some), and it's lacking the bottom panel.

....... while all this time i've had several minitower cases (PIII era) lying around, and they come with lots of vents (just take out all the slot covers), are easy to drill for pots and stuff, have screw holes and standoffs all over the place AND they've got space to mount a power supply too. I feel like a complete moron. Sure, they're not rack mountable, but they definitely are a lot easier to work with than the random old amp cases i got.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 10-04-2011, 01:47 PM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: I can be an idiot sometimes

An amplifier in a computer case?
    The idea sounds funny, but I like it. Post some pics when you're done.

By the way, I am an idiot every day, so don't worry (or do?). I can't really help it so I just roll with it.

Comment

how about small server cases?
      in a few short years severs depreciate to near scrap value.cheap rack cases!

Comment

Not here unfortunatelly.

Comment

U,
          Look at old 'rack mounted' lab power systems.

Old and failed Lambdas or HP's, have covers, vent holes, and all that stuff.

Might have to cut a new front panel, but that's no big deal.

Most guys never thing to re use dead and dying test gear for another activity.

Best of all it's cheap. Not many guys can fix this stuff, so it goes for the price of scrap aluminum.

Enjoy
          Jack Crow in Virginia
          "You are, what you do, when it counts"
          The Masso

"Gravity, the quickest way down"
          Mayor John Almafi

"You ever drop an egg, and on the floor you see it break?
          You go and get a mop so you can clean up your mistake.
          But did you ever stop to ponder why we know it's true?
          If you drop a broken egg you will not get an egg that's new?"

MC Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Crow View Post
            U,
            Look at old 'rack mounted' lab power systems.

Best of all it's cheap. Not many guys can fix this stuff, so it goes for the price of scrap aluminum.
            But...

Originally posted by ipman View Post
            Not here unfortunatelly.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Jack, me and Th3_uN1Qu3 are living in a east-european ex-comunist country.
              In the former comunism times Lamba and HP were ... let's say "enemy".
              Afther the fall of comunism, everything made here was tought to be bad and scrapped right away in the early 90's. Afther that they found out that they don't have enough money to buy modern ones.
              And ... sad end of story.

Comment

Guys,
                I was on the other side of the iron bar and lacked those kinds of issues.
                Stuff like what I was talking can be had for cheap as surplus.

Thinks are not all sweetness and light here in the west. Been mostly un employed since April 2010. Running out of money and have a host of related issues.

If I think of something will let you know. Need to think of something for me too.

Be well there.
                Jack Crow
                "You are, what you do, when it counts"
                The Masso

"Gravity, the quickest way down"
                Mayor John Almafi

"You ever drop an egg, and on the floor you see it break?
                You go and get a mop so you can clean up your mistake.
                But did you ever stop to ponder why we know it's true?
                If you drop a broken egg you will not get an egg that's new?"

MC Hawking

Comment

Did you mean "iron curtain"?

Nowhere is heaven, of course. Europe is more expensive than US, especially eastern part, but we have lower wages here.
                  The real problem is that we have no surplus, nothing ...

Comment

Erm, more accurately, all surplus is quietly taken away by the "whiz kids".

Anyway, i should be finishing the thing by the end of this week. The 600W power supply is 100% completed, wired and assembled including full range thermal fan controller. From "off" to "overdrive". It feeds the original fan of the supply which was a 12v, 120mm and roughly 2400rpm (judging by the noise) unit, and runs it from 3 to 15 volts depending on the temperature. By previous experience i know it's unlikely that it gets past 10v tho... this is a supply of significantly higher voltage and lower current compared to regular PC units, so efficiency is greater, so less heat has to be evacuated.

Comment

Working...
                    X