Samsung washing machine no power to discharge pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung washing machine no power to discharge pump

Model WF328AAW/Xaa. Original problem is the machine will not discharge the water. No power to the pump, I can run the pump off 120v, The circuit board is encased in what looks like silicone. The look to be some scorching on the board in a couple spots.

I have ordered what is supposed to be the replacement main controller board as per the parts people at several . I had to source it via ebay as my orders with reputable online suppliers were cancelled do to the part being NLA.

Both replacement boards were listed as NEW, both boxes were beat to death in the mail. Both boards throw a error code E3 which indicates a motor issue (motor hums and moves a tiny amount before erroring out) but both boards run the discharge pump. With the original board there is no motor issue or E3 error. I suspect these 2 boards part # DC92-00240A are not correct for this machine even though every parts website I contacted claims they are and several also claimed it was in stock but cancelled my order for NLA.

So, I want to try and fix the original board that won't run the discharge pump. I have a donor board from one of the suppliers who told me to keep it.

I will attach the service manual with board schematic and a picture of the back of the original board (asap) and the replacement/donor board.

Right now my biggest obstacle is the "silicone"...how do we remove it without destroying any parts including the plastic housing?

Re: Samsung washing machine no power to discharge pump

Service manual and donor board pic are attached
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wackyracer View Post
      The look to be some scorching on the board in a couple spots.
      Please take a very good photo of that area so see where that is

What part is under the heat sink

Can you trace where the pump wire go to get power to run also dose this pump motor have a run cap
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-19-2017, 03:57 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Model WF328AAW/Xaa. Original problem is the machine will not discharge the water. No power to the pump, I can run the pump off 120v
        So what this mean is that the relay that operates the coil for the pump down is NOT getting power

How good are following the traces on a board

( in the manual that you posted there is a photo of the controller board and box that shows you where the relay is )

Here what you need to find on that relay that controls the power to the pump down valve is the COIL contacts

See if the relay has what voltage the coil is it probably 24 volts could higher or lower voltage

Here where you need to be careful this board also has the power for the servo motor for the machine on this board and sensor that tell the controller if motor is moving or not

Take two wire and solder it to the coil ----->>>

( or you can unsolder the relay and check

[ you need an adjustable power supply to do this test you also need a volt meter to check conditions of relay <---> contacts this should be done with a load would be better ]

the coil and contact on the relay to see if it works the way it should )

<<--------- on the relay that powers the pump down valve you need to make sure that you have power to this relay when it in pump down portions of the cycle if you do not then your controller has issues

Now if you have power to the coil of that relay the issues with the relay

One note look very closely at the relay contacts that have the power to supply this valve and it powers something else for brown or black spots around the pads of the contacts on the board where there are no traces ---->
        If you have any contacts like that remove the solder and do not be surprised if the pad dose not come of with the solder too

If this case then look on the relay there should be a part number on it google that part number or take a photo of it and I will see what I can find some thing about it for you

Please be very careful doing what I post above I do not want to see you get hurt
        Or you fry the board more than it is now

I work on machine controller that have servo motor many times before and repair the board as well and this is how I would trouble shoot this problem

I hope this helps you with this problem that you are having with this machine
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-19-2017, 07:18 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
          Please take a very good photo of that area so see where that is

What part is under the heat sink

Can you trace where the pump wire go to get power to run also dose this pump motor have a run cap
          I have extracted the donor board from the plastic housing, however it is still encased in silicone.But at least I know how to get the other board out without damaging it.

I can trace it out, I also have the schematic (it's in the service manual) and can solder use a DVOM have a scope, esr meter and more.

The pump is small (fist sized) 120v pump with no capacitor on it. The pump runs fine with 120v connected to it. The voltage from the board at the pump fluctuates from approx 12v to 19v. The #5 relay that runs the pump says it is 12vdc/3a 250vac relay.
          Attached Files

Comment

I have extracted the donor board from the plastic housing, however it is still encased in silicone.But at least I know how to get the other board out without damaging it.

I can trace it out, I also have the schematic (it's in the service manual) and can solder use a DVOM have a scope, esr meter and more.

The pump is small (fist sized) 120v pump with no capacitor on it. The pump runs fine with 120v connected to it. The voltage from the board at the pump fluctuates from approx 12v to 19v. The #5 relay that runs the pump says it is 12vdc/3a 250vac relay.
            Can you take a photo of this pump
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

the doner looks like it may have some bad solder joints that have cooked under the resin.

Comment

The drain pump circuit is MCU driving one relay, from 15VDC/220R series reistor to make 12V for the relay.
                It might be worn relay contacts, I would replace the relay.

With coated PCB's a heat gun can help peel it off. Not super hot to cook/melt plastics though.

The donor board has black spots in many places, around IC9 D18 R18 so it might be lightning damaged?

Comment

Just to give an Update....I had to bail on the repair for several reasons, further inspection of the machine found worn shocks, excessive play in the shaft bearings and something is broken off between the drum and the tub and floating/rubbing on occasion. The back of the original board showed more burned areas then the front. The cost in parts alone was more then the new machine. So, I bought a new machine and it wasn't a samsung.

Comment

Man, how old is this machine and how much was it when it was new? I talked to lots of repair guys and they all basically told me to stay away from Samsung and LG appliance or re-badged Samsung/LG.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

something is broken off between the drum and the tub and floating/rubbing on occasion.
                      Did it go "thh-bump, thh-bump" when ramping up on spin? If so, bad/broken "spider." They used cheep pot metal here to couple the shaft to the wash basket, which isn't up to semi-caustic conditions of detergent; it doesn't matter if you use "he" detergent or not. The alloy is unsuitable for contact with water over long periods of time as far as I'm concerned, let alone alkaline conditions.

Oh but they sure upsell that stainless steel tub & basket. The chain's only as strong as its weakest link...

And damn, those things are/were overpriced, especially if you include the "optional" pedestal/base.
                      Just a scam to make inroads to the US market, to be used as a wealth transfer device.

A complete insult, to think after such "agitation" people would blindly come back and stupidly buy another.
                      They're highly efficient, though, at taking your money...

/rant

Originally posted by budm View Post
                      Man, how old is this machine and how much was it when it was new? I talked to lots of repair guys and they all basically told me to stay away from Samsung and LG appliance or re-badged Samsung/LG.
                      The only remotely good LG front loaders were from the early-mid 2000's, and were Bosch-derived/inspired designs. "Tromm" series or something, they had small portholes in the door, which served their purpose while not being tacky. The junk at bLowes and Home Despot (the former having worse models) may as well be up on ivory towers with their huge, tacky, oversized windows, the damn doors probably weigh 25-30 pounds themselves!

Oh well, better to keep the machine in one place when that spider breaks!

Last edited by kaboom; 08-23-2017, 09:38 PM.
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                      Originally posted by shango066
                      All style and no substance.
                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

any opinions on bosch??
                        because in europe there arent too many "premium" brands - and you just covered most.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          any opinions on bosch??
                          because in europe there arent too many "premium" brands - and you just covered most.
                          There's Bosch/Siemens and Miele. Only most Miele machines look like they have their design stuck in the 70s. Bloody heavy too. Built like tanks though. Common fault is won't rinse. It's a fuse and a relay.

Comment

Whats peoples thoughts on beko washing machines? ive just just brought one as was in the price range i could afford at the time.
                            Last edited by vinceroger69; 08-24-2017, 04:40 AM.

Comment

beko is actually very reliable,
                              i'm on the second - first one ran till the brushes wore out, and i could have put new ones in, but there was rust at the bottom of the frame and i wanted one with a display.

all the machines i'v had suffer from rust on the lower frame eventually.
                              just remember to check your pump filter every few months.

Comment

beko is actually very reliable,
                                i'm on the second - first one ran till the brushes wore out, and i could have put new ones in, but there was rust at the bottom of the frame and i wanted one with a display.

all the machines i'v had suffer from rust on the lower frame eventually.
                                just remember to check your pump filter every few months.
                                Thanks stj and yes will keep a eye on the filter and yes my old hotpoint washer was suffering bad rust issues and the bearings failed but did last me a good 5 years i guess and was a old machine then as was second hand.

Comment

i suspect most of these Italian / Turkish machines are from the same factory - just different names on them.

Comment

i suspect most of these Italian / Turkish machines are from the same factory - just different names on them.
                                    It might be a little out of date but
                                    http://hubys.co.uk/news-information/...ashing-machine

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                      Whats peoples thoughts on beko washing machines? ive just just brought one as was in the price range i could afford at the time.
                                      I'm into my 5th year on a Beko, all that it's needed in that time is a heater element, which was very easy to change and inexpensive. it benefits from a regular service wash and filter clean, other than that it just gets used.

Comment

I suppose out of all the machines I get call outs to repair Beko are quite low in numbers, with Hotpoint, Indesit, logik and Candy being quite high, I am not sure if that is anything to go by or if its just a reflection of my customer demographic and base.

Comment

Working...
                                        X