ATX power supply not made in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATX power supply not made in China

I'm trying very hard to boycott Chinese-made goods for practical, political, and humanitarian reasons. However, the Chinese-made ATX power supply on my computer has died. I would like to replace it with one not made in China, but my Internet searches are inconclusive at best, and a scrutiny of the whole power supply aisle at Micro Center suggests that every power supply in the world is made in China. I'm willing to go to $200, maybe even $250 to put my money where my mouth is, but it just seems that my hope is futile. Does anyone know of a power supply not made in China? Alternatively, I would consider reconditioning the one I have if anyone actually does that.

Re: ATX power supply not made in China

Unfortunatelly I can't tell you just that the electronics industry is a heavy polluter, so it still exists where law about pollution are loose.
    Hardly any electronics are made outside Asia, and if you exclude China, South Koreea is the second electronics producer, if that can be a hint. I'm not sure that Zalman, which is a koreean company, actually make something in Koreea.

Comment

It's a nice thought but I'm sorry to say China is not the worst when it comes to producing stuff, paying workers and treating them well and so on. It's slowly getting better and other countries are becoming cheaper to manufacture stuff into.

Your American companies and their mentality are doing the most damage by basically hiring slave labor in Vietnam, Philippines, China and other emergent countries - the workers in China are happy they make some money and send some home to their poor families.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweatshop and http://www.thepanelist.net/opinions-...e-cost-of-blue and you'll have something to think about.

Back to the topic... I doubt you're actually going to find something - may be lucky to get a 200-300w psu from some old Pentium 2 - Pentium 3 manufactured in Europe for the market there - for example, I had a Siemens desktop computer powered by a psu made in Italy.

Comment

There was a company called impervio that built their units in taiwan but they are now defunct due to their higher cost and higher than normal failure rates due to some design flaws that scared away companies from using them as an OEM.

Comment

I'd be interested in this, but unfortunately I've never seen a non-China power supply either.

Comment

Build your own. There's a certain Romanian user here who does that

Comment

Closest thing I have is my CH PC Power MOD-400. Originally built in china, but almost completely re-built here in Australia
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Your best bet is http://www.pcpower.com/index.html and order a custom model.

Comment

zippys and ablecoms are made in taiwan i believe, but zippys are hard to find and expensive, and ablecoms are, well, they're usually only for supermicro stuff (they are essentially the same company after all).

Comment

Taiwan is also China for some time ...

Comment

Most ablecoms are lite-on units, which are made in china.

Comment

My search about Zalman units revealed that they outsource to China-based OEM's.

Comment

Working...
                        X