• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio Failing afterwarm

Originally posted by Bills86e View Post
    4 wires PS to Vid Main is CN204

8 wires PS to T-Con is CN 201

two rows, eight wire positions in each row PS to Video main is CN202

I have no schematic, no details of what each pin is.

Can we guess that the MAIN needs replaced?
    If you look at the board, there are charts showing what the pins for the connectors are as shown in my example, please look at you board again.
    This is what I see form the link you provided in post 11.
    Notes: pictures are provided by SHOPJIMMY.COM
    Attached Files
    Last edited by budm; 03-06-2015, 11:41 AM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

OK, so do you need just the two (cn202 & 204) from power supply to the Main Board? farright connector is #CN202, I do not see
      how to tell what color wire correlates to what pin # , as there are two rows, two holes do not have wire in them.

CN202 = 1234-+5.1
      56789-GND
      10,11,12- +12
      13-remote on/off
      14-BL on/off
      15-LD on/off
      16- dimmer signal

CN204 is not stamp on board

These values were recorded when the TV was in picture failure mode, not while in the good 1st minute running fine mode, so would
      that explain why the values 3.3v & 11.8V are low?

I ask does this mean the PS is not out-putting correctly, or does this mean the MAIN BOARD shorting is drawing voltage incorrectly?
      I can see why the Timing board is hard to diagnose as it gets power from CN201, and those #'s do not correlate with the stamp #'s.

Capleaker stated in his post 16 about cooling the main? Will I need to do a re-record during 1st minute? I'd guess the values
      at that instant would correlate correct until the failure occures. What magic is next?

All these boards look clean, no bulgeing/leaking, or burned regulators, resistors or ect parts. I have learned so much here.
      Last edited by Bills86e; 03-06-2015, 02:20 PM.

Comment

"OK, so do you need just the two (cn202 & 204) from power supply to the Main Board?" CN201, 202, 203, 204, 205.
        OK, TRY AGAIN: Notes: I do not care about the color of the wires, I care about the Voltage readings of the pin and the pin's names
        Your report in post 22:
        CN202 = 1234-+5.1 Is that what you are getting?
        56789-GND
        10,11,12- +12 Is that what you are getting?
        13-remote on/off So what is the reading?
        14-BL on/off So what is the reading?
        15-LD on/off So what is the reading?
        16- dimmer signal So what is the reading?

And this is what request in post 9:
        For example:
        Connector CN201
        Pin 1: DIMMING SIGNAL: TV OFF = xx VDC, TV ON = xx VDC
        PIN 2, 3, 4, 5: GND
        PIN 6, 7: +12V: TV OFF = xx VDC, TV ON = xx VDC
        PIN 8, 9: 5.1VSB: TV OFF = xx VDC, TV ON = xx VDC
        Last edited by budm; 03-06-2015, 02:53 PM.
        Never stop learning

Comment

I do not see
          how to tell what color wire correlates to what pin # , as there are two rows, two holes do not have wire in them.
          Most dual row connectors are numbered in a staggered configuration.

First pin is marked on the board with some kind of indicator, in this case it is actually a number 1. but sometimes it's a dot or something around the pin.

If a pin is not connected with a wire, it stil has a number.

There are exceptions to these rules, but in most cases they apply.

See the attached image for how the numbering works on a single vs double row.
          Attached Files
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

That image is exactly as mine is, entirely!

So where do we go from here? (to find the culpret board) Also, where is the stamp for connector 204? Its not on PS circuit board.

If we determine the bad board, then we could go on to find the bad gizmo. maybe the eeprom or something.

BudM
            Yes, those values are the O/B stamp on my PS-CB

the post 18 were by location on theconnector, not by number, and the values noted during failure.
            The stamp values for CN202 are:
            rear row
            _ brown _ white purple green orange brown
            0, 3.3, 0, 11.8, 0, 0, 5.1, 5.1

front row
            red black _ grey blue yellow red black
            .1, 3.3, 0, 11.8, 0, 0, 5.1, 5.1

Agent24 has given us more incite to this connector, ......Thanks Agent24!
            Last edited by Bills86e; 03-06-2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

CN202 are:
              rear row
              _ brown _ white purple green orange brown
              0, 3.3, 0, 11.8, 0, 0, 5.1, 5.1

front row
              red black _ grey blue yellow red black
              .1, 3.3, 0, 11.8, 0, 0, 5.1, 5.1
              That's better but we don't know which of those colours corresponds to which pin number because we can't see your TV and the photos from ShopJimmy don't show the wiring either.

You need to count the pins (as I have shown in the previous image I posted) and write down the pin numbers instead of the wire colours - or at least post a photo showing your board and wiring so we can match the colours up with the numbers ourselves.

where is the stamp for connector 204? Its not on PS circuit board.
              It should be on your board in the same area as it is on the photo of the one from ShopJimmy. But if it is not, that is why we need photos of yours, because they are not always the same. It makes troubleshooting hard if we don't see the same thing as you see.

Sometimes a board's design is revised and things are changed, and it is not always given a new part number. So you can get different versions of the same board which are slightly different.
              Last edited by Agent24; 03-06-2015, 05:12 PM.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

I gave up.
                Never stop learning

Comment

budm
                  I can no longer get the TV to come on for the one minute.

I don't know what everything we did meant.

Was all this to check the PS

I feel "out of the LOOP"

Comment

Yes, you were checking the power supply outputs and the control signals to it.
                    Almost always the first point of all electronics troubleshooting is to check that the power supply etc is all OK and that it's getting the right signals to tell it to turn on etc.

If it will not turn on at all now it does not matter, we can still help troubleshoot but you have to be willing to follow the instructions....

Measure the voltages on CN202 again and post the voltages you measure alongside the Pin numbers. Refer to the picture I posted before on how to count them if you are unsure how the numbering works.

If you can't do that I'm afraid we can't really help you.
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

OK I can only get the white logo. No pic or sound. Will not power off.

It seems that I could more easily unplug the CN202 from the MAIN, as the probe would go into the female?
                      Last edited by Bills86e; 03-06-2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

with power, logo white
                        16=.0v 14=3.3v 12=12v 10=11.8v 8=.0v 6=.0v 4=5.1v 2=5.1v
                        15=.06v 13=3.29v 11=.05v 9=.0v 7=.0v 5=.0v 3=5.09v 1=5.09v

without power, logo orange
                        16=.0v 14=.0v 12=.0v 10=.0v 8=.0v 6=.0v 4=5.1v 2=5.1v
                        15=.0v 13=.0v 11=.0v 9=.0v 7=.0v 5=.0v 3=5.1v 1=5.1v

Comment

So it looks like the 5.1v Standby rail is OK as is the 12v rail.
                          It looks like the mainboard is sending the Remote ON signal and the Backlight ON signal OK, but there is no LD On (whatever that is) or Dimming control signal.

Which pins on CN202 are the ones without wires?

Can you measure those other connectors now as well and post the voltages along with the pin numbers also?
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

LD I think is LED Driver
                            16 12 11

Yes, I will post them I appreciate your talent

Comment

LD I think is LED Driver
                              16 12 11

LED driver? BLon is turning the LED's for the backlight on and off.

Comment

LD I think is LED Driver
                                16 12 11

OK so if Pin 16 has no wire then the dimming signal must come through another connector. But the fact you have nothing on that LD On\Off line (Pin 15) could be a problem.

I assume the mainboard is supposed to send this signal otherwise they wouldn't bother running a wire.

I hope budm comes back as I'm sure he has more experience with these than I do.

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                                LED driver? BLon is turning the LED's for the backlight on and off.
                                Well that's the thing... Why would it use 2 control signals for the backlight On\Off control? It doesn't make sense. LD On\Off must be for something else. I don't know what.
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Post 8
                                  Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                                  WAG = Wild Ass Guess

Next thing we need is hi res pictures from the boards and one pic of the back of the TV with all boards in place and hooked up. Make an extra pic of the sockets of the PSU that go to the main board. Hope fully there is a pin out printed on there. Sometimes the pin out is printed on the back.

Make some measurements with your DMM from that socket on the PSU that goes to the main board with the corresponding pin outs. GND is either a GND pin or chassis GND. That should do for the first round. :-)
                                  The LD pin may be part of the dynamic contrast control to control the backlights based on the scene of the Video so they can claim the TV has high contrast ratio, other is B.S. contrast spec. But without the pictures we cannot see how all the boards are connected together.
                                  After 35 post we still do not see the pictures.
                                  You know, it is hard to help people that will not follow instructions after asking over and over. I am done.
                                  Last edited by budm; 03-06-2015, 10:05 PM.
                                  Never stop learning

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                    Well that's the thing... Why would it use 2 control signals for the backlight On\Off control? It doesn't make sense. LD On\Off must be for something else. I don't know what.
                                    I don't either. That's why it is essential that we get the info we are asking for. Other than that, it is just much easier to skip this thread than repeat everything 500 times and we are still at point A. Bored now.
                                    Besides 4 kids and a wife plus a dog, there is only that much attention span that I have left.
                                    Last edited by CapLeaker; 03-07-2015, 06:35 AM.

Comment

I know the LED driver board controls both the A & B sides of the display.
                                      hence = two ribbon cables from T-Con. Only you guys know how the TV works.
                                      I am a Jackass. I was hopeing that unplugging a board would suggest its bad,
                                      Should the three boards be unplugged from PS, then with PS plugged in, record the
                                      pin values of the five connectors as a "start-point".
                                      Youtube vids were no help,

Should I give up and just throw away my $1200 investment? My two dogs miss TV.

I also am not smart enough yet to "upload" the pictures, from smartphone to web. Sorry
                                      thats why I copied/pasted from www.shopjimmy.com. None of the four boards show
                                      any damage, ect. That said, you can see the previous pics. LED drv bd is left side, T-Con is center at top, power is center on left,
                                      main board is center on right. I am looking at rear, with cover off. With my magnifier, all connections look proper.

CN 201 goes to T-Con
                                      CN 202 to video mainboard
                                      CN 203 & CN205 goes to LED/LCD inverter driver board
                                      CN 204 to video mainboard there is no chart stamp for this connector on the power supply.

One thing that is interesting: Today the TV powered on with good picture & sound again. (but only for a minute)

Last edited by Bills86e; 03-07-2015, 10:07 AM.

Comment

T-Con drives the LCD screen. LED driver would be the backlight. Two separate things.

I don't think with this kind of fault unplugging things will help figure it out.
                                        From what I gathered, you sometimes lose the image, and sometimes backlight (or maybe both together).

The first logical step is to figure out if the boards are faulty or if the power is bad, hence the need for voltage readings on all connectors, both while it's working and when it isn't, to compare them.

I already showed how to upload your photos: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

If that doesn't help, then even uploading to some other site like imgur etc and then linking here will be OK.
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

1 minute goes by quickly. Then its too warm to come back on alive, to get more than one pin reading. How do you pro's do it fast.
                                          The shop here wants $160 to diagnose it, but no guarrantee.

If I unplugall three cards (5 connectors) I can plug the AC in and read the PS
                                          and match to the four stamped chart values, and note CN204's values. (4wire)
                                          or 1= is this a bad idea? If they all matched, would that indicate at least the PSU
                                          DC output(s) mean a good board, or 2=does the PS have to be under a "load"?

I will need basic electronics knowledge to proceed to get to "the boards are faulty"
                                          3= would a PS board change its DC output in a minute?

Comment

Working...
                                          X