X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio Failing afterwarm

VIZIO 47" HDTV XVT3D474SV had it in Bedroom with two remotes
    This is an LCD/LED Smart HDTV 03-03-2015

Wife said "it stopped" and changed it out with the 40" LCD tv, Sony Bravia. Stored 2 months.

I cleaned power plug, dusted, Checked batteries in remote's (bad) replaced only one set.
    In office, it powered on by remote and the JAG wheel. Nice Pic & sound.

1st, I noticed some channals would not come on. Nice Pic & sound.

While watching, after ten minutes it lost the picture, had black screen, had sound, then it shut off.
    White logo Blinks continually.

Orange logo when you plug it in. When you power on the logo turns white and continually blinks.
    No picture or sound. Suspect LED driver board, CPU main mother board, power board, or T-Con (GPU) board.
    03-04-2015 in AM
    update
    This AM I unplugged the T-Con power plugs, Did a re-try. orange turned to blinking white, then in a minute this turned orange.
    unplugged, next, I plugged in Cable antenae. Then I plugged back the T-Con. Replugged in the main power cable/plug.
    I used remote and hit ON, and the TV came on with both picture & sound. This lasted about 4 minutes, then lost the picture
    to white screen, no picture. Sound is still working. This TV has some thing failing when warmed up.

update at noon
    Now, turn power on, orange, hit remote turn ON, 100 white blinks it turned orange, hit ON and now Nothing! Its flashing orange & white
    and a minute later stayswhite, the remote will not turn that to off.

Before I start just thowing board$,
    Anyone have suggestions?
    Last edited by Bills86e; 03-04-2015, 11:10 AM.

Re: Vizio Failing afterwarm

You got a DMM to troubleshoot with? We also need to see some high res pics.

Comment

I'd like to narrow this issue to one of the four componet boards, and just replace that.
      My guessis T-Con, as the screen went black. Any thoughts?
      I do not have electronical tool$. All I need is my #2 phillips! Refurbs or used OK

Power supply PCU board = Vizio 0500-0305-0860
      GPU Timing control board = Vizio 3647-0062-0147 (9c)
      LED driver board = Vizio 0500-0705-0070
      Main video board = Vizio 3647-0342-0150 (4c)

Comment

I would check P.S. capacitors 1st. Then try Freeze mist to spray parts that are hotest.

Comment

If you do not have at least the Volt meter, it will not be possible to see which signals or voltages are missing.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

can't give you any decent advice without seeing some voltages and tests. Everything with out these would be WAG's at best.

Comment

I just figured out what is DMM. Digital Multi meter. Wags?

Ok, I agree we start with PSU. AC in, DC out.
              My bd is AC in on bottom, two outs to LED on left top, top rt is : to vid bd, to T-Con, to Video board. So the PSU has five DC outs connectors across the top of circuit bd.
              Each of these connectors have many wires, I appreciate all the help,
              I also now understand we must eliminate each board to find the defective board.

I had thought because I had unplug the T-con, waited, re-plug, then the TV came on, but soon failed, hadwhite screen, then after a re-start the screen was Black, that the video or the T-C was failing, not PS.

I now have a DMM, a Fluke 8020 B multimeter. Ready to begin.
              Last edited by Bills86e; 03-05-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

WAG = Wild Ass Guess

Next thing we need is hi res pictures from the boards and one pic of the back of the TV with all boards in place and hooked up. Make an extra pic of the sockets of the PSU that go to the main board. Hope fully there is a pin out printed on there. Sometimes the pin out is printed on the back.

Make some measurements with your DMM from that socket on the PSU that goes to the main board with the corresponding pin outs. GND is either a GND pin or chassis GND. That should do for the first round. :-)

Comment

I recently got a smart phone...I took the pics, now need to upload to here. (learning)

There are two white connectors with multiple wires/colors from PSU to the Video mainboard.
                  Two connectors to the LED driver board
                  One to the Timing control board

Am I looking to record voltages at each wire on the connector(s)? I can list wire color
                  and its V. of each connector. I have no schematic.

I have the TV rear cover off, baseplate on, standing erect with back panel faceing me. Unplugged.
                  Guessing I need to power her on to get voltages? In what voltage range should DMM be set to?

The connectors from left to right are: LED LED Vid-M T-Con Vid-M (top ofthe power supply board)
                  Last edited by Bills86e; 03-05-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

cell phone pics aren't usually great. look at them yourself before you post it.

Are there any pin outs printed on the PSU? Wiring color does nothing for us. If you can, have everything plugged in, turn the set on, have the black probe on chassis GND and jam the red probe of your DMM into the back of the plug. record each wire / pin.

Comment

Here is a URL of the board, however it is laying on itsright side. 5 white are on the right
                      in this pic.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-0500-...upply-unit.htm

OK, pwr to vid main connectors. BRB Thanks by the way!
                      Last edited by Bills86e; 03-05-2015, 03:48 PM.

Comment

??? no url no pic?

Comment

I powered her on, She isalive. Guessit'll be ashort while til the failure occures.
                          I'm guessing you need the voltages when its in fail?

Comment

http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-0500-...upply-unit.htm

It posted

Now two minutes, I just lost picture, its now white or a light blue. I have sound.
                            I'm gonna shut off with remote, see if it does that.

The remote shut if off, but it will not turn the tv back on. Logo is orange.

Do I need it white to do the voltages?
                            Last edited by Bills86e; 03-05-2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Unplugged, waited 5 min. Now back ALIVE.

YEP..........1 minute, failed, white or lt blue screen. Must mean the back-lighting is working.

sound is on. Will begin with Volt readings.

YIKES, ...........My hands are so trembling, I don't think I should do this probeing. A bit SCARRED!
                              Am I in any danger? I might accidentl touch two. maybe i have antzhymer's I'm not drinkin coffeee.
                              Last edited by Bills86e; 03-05-2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

the primary circuit is the dangerous one. To make you feel better, put the negative lead to chassis GND and only probe with one hand. If you short something out, you won't get hurt that way. The secondary you are working on is low voltage (under 30V), so not so bad...

But anyway... since your TV fails like that and actually does come on for a minute now, try some cooling on the main board and the t-con (can of air duster upside down).

Comment

Originally posted by Bills86e View Post
                                  YIKES, ...........My hands are so trembling, I don't think I should do this probeing. A bit SCARRED!
                                  Am I in any danger? I might accidentl touch two. maybe i have antzhymer's I'm not drinkin coffeee.
                                  If you've never done it before it's normal to be a little scared. Don't worry about it. Just keep away from the primary\hot side of the PSU (where the mains cord comes in).

Since the voltages we want you to check are at the other end of the PSU board, that's easy to do.

Now, while the PSU you linked to is useful, it doesn't show us what *yours* looks like, and if there is anything obviously wrong with it.

If you think your photos are good enough, do post them here. Check https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1868 for details on how
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

4 wires PS to Vid Main
                                    orange red brown black
                                    18.7, 18.7, 0, 0

-----------------------------------------
                                    8 wires PS to T-Con
                                    gray black blue green yellow orange red brown black
                                    5.08, 5.08, .05, .05, .01, .01, .01, .01, .01

------------------------------------------
                                    two rows, eight wire positions in each row PS to Video main
                                    rear row
                                    _ brown _ white purple green orange brown
                                    0, 3.3, 0, 11.8, 0, 0, 5.1, 5.1

front row
                                    red black _ grey blue yellow red black
                                    .1, 3.3, 0, 11.8, 0, 0, 5.1, 5.1

----------------------------------------------
                                    Last edited by Bills86e; 03-06-2015, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bills86e View Post
                                      4 wires PS to Vid Main
                                      orange red brown black
                                      18.7, 18.7, 0, 0

-----------------------------------------
                                      8 wires PS to T-Con
                                      gray black blue green yellow orange red brown black
                                      5.08, 5.08, .05, .05, .01, .01, .01, .01, .01

------------------------------------------
                                      two rows, eight wire positions in each row PS to Video main
                                      rear row
                                      _ brown _ white purple green orange brown
                                      0, 3.3, 0, 11.8, 0, 0, 5.1, 5.1

front row
                                      red black _ grey blue yellow red black
                                      .1, 3.3, 0, 11.8, 0, 0, 5.1, 5.1

----------------------------------------------
                                      Those numbers do not mean much without knowing the connector numbers and pins names. As you can see at SJ pictures, the connector pins have names so we need more details.
                                      You need to list the connector number, pin number, name of each pin follow by the Voltage reading.
                                      For example:
                                      Connector CN201
                                      Pin 1: DIMMING SIGNAL: TV OFF = xx VDC, TV ON = xx VDC
                                      PIN 2, 3, 4, 5: GND
                                      PIN 6, 7: +12V: TV OFF = xx VDC, TV ON = xx VDC
                                      PIN 8, 9: 5.1VSB: TV OFF = xx VDC, TV ON = xx VDC
                                      Last edited by budm; 03-06-2015, 10:01 AM.
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

4 wires PS to Vid Main is CN204

8 wires PS to T-Con is CN 201

two rows, eight wire positions in each row PS to Video main is CN202

I have no schematic, no details of what each pin is.

Can we guess that the MAIN BOARD needs replaced? or are you thinking its just not getting the right power
                                        Last edited by Bills86e; 03-06-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X