Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 49UF6400 tint on half of screen + no OSD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 49UF6400 tint on half of screen + no OSD?

Hi all,
    I have a LG 49UF6400 with two issues. The first is a colored tint on the left side of the screen. The color of the tint depends, but I've seen red, green, and purple so far. I can see a normal image behind the tint as shown in the photos. The tinted side flashes rapidly between "normal" and "tinted"

I suspected either the panel or the TCON, so I tested the TV with one of the panel cables disconnected. With the left side unplugged, the left half of the screen is white and the right is black. With the right unplugged, the left has vertical bars and the right is white. I have attached photos.

At this point I felt sure that at was either the panel or the TCON, but there is another issue as well... I can't get the TV to generate ANY on screen display. At no point when testing the TV did it display and content of its own, such as a "no signal" message, the LG logo on startup, the settings menu, the built in apps, etc. If I power it on with no video source I only get a black screen (with the tint mentioned earlier) until I hook it up to a video source, at which point it will display only that.

At first I thought the TV was completely unresponsive but that isn't true. This TV has a frame dimming feature, and I've noticed that if I display a black image on my video source (which causes the backlit to dim) and then press, for example, the menu button, the backlit will ramp up while the invisible menu is open and dim again when I press exit. So it seems like the TV is generating a menu and adjusting the backlit accordingly, but it won't display it.

I've never seen or heard of the second issue before. What do you guys think? If the TV can't display an OSD in addition to the tint, does that imply that both the mainboard and TCON/panel failed, or could all these issues be caused by the mainboard itself?
    Attached Files

Re: LG 49UF6400 tint on half of screen + no OSD?

Tcon there for 25 bucks, might be the problem, there's also one for 18 or 19 but it's on a slow boat from china: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-6871L-42...AAAOSwDQxezqJ5

Comment

I added the TCON to my watch list, but I don't want to spend money on this TV just yet because I still haven't figured out why it won't display an OSD. Surely the TCON has nothing to do with it, right?

I also noticed that the two chips I circled in the picture got VERY hot even though the TV had been running for less than 30 minutes. Seems strange that they would generate that much heat in so little time, especially considering that the TV wasn't running built in apps or doing anything "demanding"
      Attached Files

Comment

That's a BGA issue on the mainboard not a tcon issue.

Comment

Hmm, any idea where I can find a reasonably priced mainboard for this TV? Only one I could find on eBay was $175, and it seems to be out of stock everywhere else.

Comment

I have used this seller before for main board repair with no issues. Not sure if it will correct your problems so you can contact him first.

https://ebay.us/h6udhv

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I contacted him and he thinks he can fix it. I'll post an update when I get the board back

Comment

Final update, I installed the repaired main board and TV works fine now

Comment

Working...
                X