capacitor balance charging???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

capacitor balance charging???

The electronic theory says "connecting capacitor in series will give the higher voltage tolerance, but lower capacitance in the same fashion of connecting resistor in the parallel will give higher power tolerance but lower resistance".

However, I've got some idea of "balance charging". Giving 3 capacitors of 1F @4.3V each connected in series with 4 pins like

G|____c1_____|______c2______|______c3_____|+ and charge them like li-po battery. I'm wondered if that will result in 1F capacitor @ 12.6V with no capacitor boomed?

Re: capacitor balance charging???

First of all, LiPo batteries should not be charged past 4.2V. If you were to connect 3 x Li-Po batteries in series then yes you can charge the 3 capacitor series to 12.6V but you will not have 1F @ 12.6V, it will be 333mF ( 333,33uF ) at 12.6V.

Unless you use a (large) high current battery, you should use something like a resistor in series to limit current from the battery while charging the capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by 999999999 View Post
      If you were to connect 3 x Li-Po batteries in series then yes you can charge the 3 capacitor series to 12.6V but you will not have 1F @ 12.6V, it will be 333mF ( 333,33uF ) at 12.6V.
      The resulting capacity of the 3 capacitors will be 333mF or 333.333,33 uF...
      Last edited by Tube_Dude; 05-26-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

^ Huh, yeah I mistyped that or something.

Comment

Working...
        X