EPoX EP-8KHA (not 56k friendly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPoX EP-8KHA (not 56k friendly)

Just pulled out one of my machines and have a routine look at it for any infamous bad capacitors, and lo and behold, I've found two towards the lower right hand side of the board (using the PCI slots as a reference as the top left hand corner).

Here's some photos of the capacitors, plus another two that's somewhere in the middle of the board that looked a bit dodgy, but not quite bloated:

I also had a look at the other electrolytic caps around the board, and it is a cocktail of bad capacitor brands:

Tayeh
    Teapo
    GSC

So far, only the GSC caps are bloated, the others seems fine.

I had this board for over 2 years now, and the board seemed stable. Although I'll be replacing those caps soon. Speaking of which, does anyone knows a good place to buy capacitors within Australia. (The local electronics chain doesn't seem to stock the caps I wanted.)

<EDIT>
    By Administrator: I saved your pics to my server and resized them for easier viewing.
    </EDIT>

Welcome to the forums!

Teyah, Cheapo Teapo, and GSC are all VERY well known crappy caps! I would replace them all, even if they're not showing signs. Replace all the low-ESR's and anything 680uF and up. This will have your board in top shape again.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Hi

I also live in Australia, have a 8KHA+ and bad capacitors, and looking for somewhere to buy capacitors.

Additionally, my ATX plug has burnt out (see below) Has anyone seen this happen as a result of badcaps ? Or was it just my cheapo powersupply ? Any suggestions how I can fix that ?

[/img]

Comment

Whew... I've never seen an ATX plug burn up like that! You might take a multimeter and check your VRM's, diodes, and regulators for shorts. The bad caps could have caused that, but that's awfully severe damage for bad caps.

If you need a cap outlet, try www.digikey.com. They're a bit pricey, but they will ship internationally.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

some iwill and tyan duallies are burning up the atx socket.
          it is easy to replace with one from a junk/obsolete board.
          and check the vrms too.
          some crappy psu's dont shut down when shorted and somethings gotta give.that smoke has to leak out somehow

Comment

Caps from an EPoX 8KHA+ bought dec 2001:

More images here: http://130.236.214.152/epox8kha+/

Funny thing is that the board worked without any stability issues at all, even overclocked! But I kind of figured it was a ticking bomb and had them replaced.. The AGP-bus was soaked in electrolyte

Comment

From my experience it seems that EPoX are still using cheap caps with bad electrolytes in them. Every EPoX board I've seen has at least a bad cap or two, even with their latest boards.

Comment

Working...
              X