Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No POST after writing single bit to CMOS; any solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No POST after writing single bit to CMOS; any solution?

Nothing. No change in behaviour.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Bloody hell. I got MSI K8N Platinum but it does not POST. Not sure if it is old BIOS (with Opteron 180), incompatible memory, graphics or anything else, but I am not able to solve it now. I am going home in like 10 hours so I will just have to leave it be :-(

As for the DFI board, I have noticed one small SMD transistor which may be burned on the board. The other ones around are glossy, this one is not and has something like excessive heat marks. I'll check it as I return, as well as other stuff around.
      Last edited by Behemot; 07-17-2014, 05:14 PM.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Fuck me! That transistor was good. I was messing with diodes when I encountered one which seemed to be bad. OK, took it out. Measures good? WTH…placed it back in…and it works fine ever since with several restarts and messing in BIOS!

May it be something like tin whisker?? It's a bloody DFI after all, they wanted to be first everywhere…it may have included PB Free stuff.

Will be doing more extensive research tomorrow with the original CPU (Opteron 180) and RAM (4 GB high-density) with all the rest original HW. Keep ya posted.

Comment

Perhaps the diode\transistor were slightly bad and heating them did something good to them... or bad soldering, wouldn't you be able to *see* tin whiskers?
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

No idea, too many micro SMD components. I've been using two 150W transformer irons so may have heated it quite extensivelly

Comment

I don't even dare to say what the problem was after all.

First, I have these cheap high-density memories. They need command rate 2T and disabled bank interleaving if you want to use 4 of them. I forgot so each time the board POSTed with safe settings (after clearing CMOS), it POSTED, other than that, it have not.

Scond, one of the moduels just failed, the memories heat quite extensively here, it copes with what dad told me - first, the PC jsut dropped off. Than it started having some POST problems, finaly they gave uit to a guy to fix it and not sooner than that I got it in this state. So now I am using 2 HD + 2 LD memories, seems to be good.

Comment

Working...
              X