Anyone repair appliances? GE ice maker issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone repair appliances? GE ice maker issue

Ice maker in my GE Model# GDSOKCXARWW bottom freezer stopped working.

I've diagnosed no 115acv reaching the ice maker itself but can't figure out where it would come from.

Would it be from the main board itself or is there another line with a fuse possibly?

The ice release mechanism was jammed and I'm guessing it overworked the motor causing something to either burn out or a fuse/relay to pop down the line preventing power reaching the ice module. I've jumped 115acv directly from a receptacle to the ice maker and it powers on so it's something with the feed.

Any help would be appreciated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by caphair; 08-07-2018, 11:40 AM.

Re: Anyone repair appliances? GE ice maker issue

I can't find that model number. or post a pic.

Most GE/Whirlpool/Frigidaire have a heater that warms up the mold so the motor can then eject the ice. The mold would have a thermal fuse (in contact with the mold). These pop if the harvest cycle jams and the heater stays on. Other posts say the thermal fuse is in-line in the wiring harness.

GE icemaker kit (one style)
    Last edited by redwire; 08-07-2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
      I can't find that model number. or post a pic.

Most GE/Whirlpool/Frigidaire have a heater that warms up the mold so the motor can then eject the ice. The mold would have a thermal fuse (in contact with the mold). These pop if the harvest cycle jams and the heater stays on. Other posts say the thermal fuse is in-line in the wiring harness.

GE icemaker kit (one style)
      But with the ice maker removed I don’t get 115acv at the connector that the ice maker plugs into. I only measure 15acv. I’ve uploaded pics to original post
      Last edited by caphair; 08-07-2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Icemaker power is in series with the (freezer) door switch, so push it in and see what you get.
        Last edited by redwire; 08-07-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
          Icemaker power is in series with the (freezer) door switch, so push it in and see what you get.
          Ah thanks for that yes now I have proper voltage. So the heater fuse should be inside the ice maker itself then?

https://www.geapplianceparts.com/sto...y/GDSC0KCXARWW

Comment

Is the thermal fuse accessible?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
              Is the thermal fuse accessible?
              The two ROUND, black spots (one above the other) to the right in your first photo represent the leads that feed the heater. Check for an open. Trace the pigtails to see what they tie to.

Note that the small "timing motor" will have a cam driven switch on it to apply power at the right point in the "mechanical" cycle. So, if you have continuity IN the heating element, next verify that the switch engages the power to that element (and hasn't worn itself open).

You can often diagnose these on a bench just (patiently) waiting for a complete mechanical cycle and noting where it stalls.

Comment

i see it's got the infamous film caps on it - check them for cracks or splits.

Comment

It seems to be a GE IM6.

Follow red wire PCB label "TCO" to the TCO fuse then heater, check ohms-- it only goes to the heater, so the motor should still run.
                  I usually find the thermistor gets knocked out of place on Samsung icemakers.

Diagnostic mode
                  "...If the Harvest state takes more than 7 minutes, the icemaker will initiate a Harvest Fix mode. In Harvest Fix Mode, if the Harvest state is not complete within 30 minutes, the icemaker will enter the Fault state. In the Fault state, the green light will flash. This often indicates the icemaker will need to be replaced."

Good to know the Lelon electrolytic works when cold lol
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by redwire; 08-07-2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1533664557
                    You can see that red wire which is connected to the 'T.C.O' terminal of the PCB goes to one end of the fuse, anther end of the fuse connected to the black wire of the heater unit.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Ok so the thermal fuse seems fine tests good in continuity mode.

I’m hoping the ice release mechanism begins jammed was the only issue. It has power now as indicated by the green light when I close the door switch.

I can hear water being entered just have to wait I suppose to see if it produces ice

Comment

How long before it starts producing ice? If it’s going to work

Comment

that takes a few hours to do so... let her rip over night. If you got ice, its good!

Comment

with those caps, the more interesting question is: how long before your engulfed in smoke!
                            specially in a damp enviroment!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              with those caps, the more interesting question is: how long before your engulfed in smoke!
                              specially in a damp enviroment!!
                              Are they prone to failure?

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
                                Are they prone to failure?
                                Yes when I see this no name brand I replace them on site
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply
                                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Rifa/Kemet (PME271) capacitors fail in X-cap (across the line) applications.
                                  I'm not sure why - if it's the epoxy or paper dielectric that shorts with age, or if it's due to mains transients the caps can't handle. I see many with the clear epoxy cracked.

Your icemaker PCB I see three of 2.2nF X2 275VAC, for snubber use.
                                  If they are Rifa and one is an X-cap, I would replace them.
                                  Wurth makes some low cost ones.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

what happens is the resin shrinks with age and cracks.
                                    then moisture gets into the foil wrap and shorts it out.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      what happens is the resin shrinks with age and cracks.
                                      then moisture gets into the foil wrap and shorts it out.
                                      Good to know. Are they cheap to use? Curious why they're used especially in a moisture prone area like a freezer.

Also glad to report it's making ice again

Comment

panasonic make cheap replacements.

the problem is the clear epoxy - they may not have realised at the time that it will slowly shrink.
                                        it was a good idea in a way, use clear epoxy and you dont need an outer plastic box = saving money.

maybe they didnt plan for what happens 10 or even 20 or 30 years later.
                                        the real problem, is they where considered the best, and are in a LOT of high end kit.
                                        inc a lot of test gear.
                                        and they are INSIDE a lot of those metal line-filters with the IEC socket built in.

Comment

Working...
                                        X