Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking about modding a old ps3 PSU:APS226

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_S...U_compatiblity
    I got a cecha01 model ps3 with a aps226.From what I read this power supply gets very hot.I thought maybe I could try to see if their is something I could do to make it run cooler.Not talking about just throwing a fan on it.I'm not experienced with PSUs but i'm guessing the mosfets are the major main components that generate the heat.
    Am I right?Here is what is printed on most I was looking at in the psu.
    Qty.2 of
    F m g25
    fqpf
    13n50c

qty.1 of
    stth15r06fp
    GK1H9 can't read but(V6?)
    CHN 620

qty.2 of
    21n50c3
    GCW626

qt.2 of
    06CN10N
    6AB622

qty.1
    N 6G
    FCH10A15
    Sorry I don't have more details on them,will add more info as I go through the components.
    Atm i'm just wondering if its possible to get this psu running cooler.Some in the vid game forums said to upgrade to a aps231 to others asking about compatible PSUs for their cecha01 ps3.
    But many had problems,console would shut/kickoff when it was getting pushed to its max using the aps 231.
    I don't mind if I spend a decent amount modding this psu.Would rather have new parts anyway.Every psu is used for ps3s(98% of the time).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tronik25; 03-08-2014, 08:05 PM.

Re: I'm thinking about modding a old ps3 PSU:APS226

I may be wrong but you may be able to replace the switching MOSFETs with newer models that have a lower on resistance, which should make it a bit more efficient.

However even if that did work I don't know if the difference would be great enough to make much of a heat reduction.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Re: I'm thinking about modding a old ps3 PSU:APS226

Originally posted by tronik25 View Post
      I got a cecha01 model ps3 with a aps226.From what I read this power supply gets very hot.
      In my experience, the APS226 and APS227 are good. It's the ZSSR5391A you want to avoid. APS226 is made by Sony itself, while the ZSSR5391A is made by Nichicon. I have over ten faulty ZSSR5391A now, all with the same or similar fault - their 12V rail shorts to ground or refuses to kick ON, and only the 5V standby works.

I thought maybe I could try to see if their is something I could do to make it run cooler.Not talking about just throwing a fan on it.I'm not experienced with PSUs but i'm guessing the mosfets are the major main components that generate the heat.
      Not much you can really do IMO other than... well, adding a fan in there. They already do use very high-spec MOSFETs in there. The problem is these PSUs are too crammed and they don't get enough ventilation from the PS3. With good air going through them, they are extremely efficient. That said, the ZSSR5391A is only slightly less efficient - which is why it usually ends up overheating and cooking itself to death.

Some in the vid game forums said to upgrade to a aps231 to others asking about compatible PSUs for their cecha01 ps3.
      But many had problems,console would shut/kickoff when it was getting pushed to its max using the aps 231.
      Please, find whoever suggested that and tell them they are a moron (or if you want to be more polite, tell them to not give advice when they don't know what they are doing/talking about).

The APS226, APS227, and ZSSR5391A units are rated for 32A on the 12V rail, while the APS-231 is rated only for 23.5A. So no wonder at all that the consoles shut off when using an APS-231!

Originally posted by tronik25
      stth15r06fp
      Datasheet:
      https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...da89bf3935.pdf
      That's likely the PFC diode. 15A, 600V, 200 ns, 1.4V Vf drop. If you can a diode with the same specs but lower Vf, you might save yourself a little bit of heat.

21n50c3
      Either PFC stage transistors or main PS chopper (or both - one for each, that is... but I doubt it. There should be a few more MOSFETs somewhere on primary side.)
      Again, if you can find a MOSFET with the same voltage, current, gate charge, and other important characteristics but lower Rds_on resistance, you will improve efficiency a little.

06CN10N
      Synchronous rectifier MOSFETs (used in place of conventional schottky diodes on the output in order to improve efficiency - which they really do). Just as with the 21n50c3, if you want to improve efficiency, you want MOSFETs that have the same ratings but just lower Rds_on. Good luck. These are (IIRC) pretty good parts if you ask me.

FCH10A15
      5V standby supply rectifier. Don't bother with this one, you probably won't gain any significant efficiency.

My suggestion for you (if you really are serious and have the equipment, time, and gain the required knowledge to hunt down equivalent/more superior MOSFET - I know I don't) is to probe the PSU with a thermocouple as it's running and see which side/parts are the biggest offender when it comes to heat, then look for better replacements. However, what I think you will find is that these PSUs will run equally miserably hot everywhere inside all due to poor ventilation in the PS3. But that's just my 2 cents on this.
      Last edited by momaka; 03-21-2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X