X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    I have a solution to all of the issues you're having with your computer and your dual monitor setup.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...cts/windows-xp
    Fixed.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Fixed.

Missing the point... It was desingned to be a linux box from day 1.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

Missing the point... It was desingned to be a linux box from day 1.
        I wasn't talking to you....I was talking to the M$ parrot that spoos about 7 all the time...
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I wasn't talking to you....I was talking to the M$ parrot that spoos about 7 all the time...
          He may as well be, but I think he has a point... Allow me to quote:

Originally posted by shovenose
          Mac OS is 100% a piece of shit!
          Linux is 75% a piece of shit.
          So Windows (10% shit) it is!!
          Sorry RD and KeriJane

Comment

probably right on the desktop platform.....but Linux is not 75% shit. It runs this site, remember!! As a server, Linux stomps M$ in every aspect!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

The truth is that no single OS can do everything well.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Picked up a Brand new (box opened, drive still sealed) LiteOn DH-20A4H08C IDE Lightscribe DVD burner for $9. It Even had the extra (white) bezel and the still sealed bag with the software/manuals.

It seems to run well... But the lightscribe support in linux is Mostly (but not all the way) there... It takes soem command line work to open the GUIs to do it but I hear it does work (I have no lightscribe blanks so I can't confirm that).

I may keep it as tradebait. For now it is in my main rig...
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

found 2 solar panels on the curb this morning.a unisolar 6v 3w and a bp 12v 75w.
                  i was stuffing them in the work van and as i closed the doors the homeowner came out and asked me if i knew what the odd windows i took were.they were integrated in a greenhouse he tore down.when i told him what they were i got a blank stare.whats a solar panel?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                    found 2 solar panels on the curb this morning.a unisolar 6v 3w and a bp 12v 75w.
                    i was stuffing them in the work van and as i closed the doors the homeowner came out and asked me if i knew what the odd windows i took were.they were integrated in a greenhouse he tore down.when i told him what they were i got a blank stare.whats a solar panel?
                    HAHA!!!!

I sense a good project coming with your 'new' 75-watt solar panel!
                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I could be wrong on this, but one reason why Barracuda ATA IVs easily amassed reallocated sectors -might- be because, in all their infinite wisdom, Seagate saw fit to hinder the heat output of the drive by installing the second rendition of "SeaShield" over the PCB - or that piece of rubber and heat insulator called "SeaShield".
                      The only Seagate drives I know of with a rubber heat-insulating wrapper (which isn't really a "Shield" per se...) were the 5400RPM U Series. They included it for shock protection. I'm not sure I would remove it though because it also covers the top of the drive (and therefore has the label). They never put that type of thing on a Barracuda (7200RPM) drive, probably because with the higher speed (and number of platters, in the first two models) it would get too hot. Instead the Barracuda drives had a metal Shield with foam backing for electrial insulation.

I don't know how much it affects the temperature of the platters but I do know that it makes the PCB itself much hotter (I mean 45-50C hot when the hard drive itself is 10-15C cooler, judging by how hot the PCB end of the drive felt to touch... by contrast, a ST3120026A I have that doesn't have SeaShield does not feel hot in that area at all, at the same temperatures).
                      Of course that also happens to be more of a problem as Barracuda ATA IV uses a BGA microcontroller. You'd think that if they went to the expense of adding a large metal shield that they would also use it to cool down the board components. Instead they let it insulate them...resulting in the microcontroller and motor driver getting hot enough to discolour the foam touching them . I also know of a member (severach) who seems to hate BGAs with a passion. Guess what I see coming???

7200.7 uses a QFP microcontroller so no need to worry about thermal stress doing that in.

Technically speaking, you could just screw that thing off when first you had a Barracuda ATA IV, but after so many on/off and heat/cold cycles, and after so much power on time, I don't even know if it'd come off without compromising the drive (I imagine it must have hardened by then).
                      How would it get stuck to the drive such that you can't remove it without damage???

I'd say just take it off. The only useful purpose it ever served was ESD protection. (And that was more to protect Seagate from user damaged drives being RMAed than anything.)

Unfortunate Seagate did that because in my experience those were some of the most quiet and long lasting drives ever. They were some of the last Barracudas to support AAM, which was nice.
                      I have an ST360021A (not the renowned ST340016A). With AAM off (which I did for a short time, before switching it back on) seeks were a bit noisy, but nothing unbearable (I didn't test the performance in that state, but I assume about 14ms?). With AAM on seeks were rather quieter (but still noticeable). Average access time was 15.5ms when tested with h2benchw (though the maximum was rather astronomical at 194ms ).

I also have ST380011A and it's noticeably quieter, slightly quicker average access (14.9ms) than ST360021A with AAM (and the maximum is much more reasonable at 26.1ms). Then I have ST340014A, which is very quiet (unnoticeable seeks). So quiet that I'd actually recommend it for a silent PC (as long as you're fine with PATA only, small capacity and outdated technology). Either of those drives would of course have higher transfer rates, run cooler, and potentially be more reliable than a Barracuda ATA IV.

WD800JD-00LSA0 (a 2-head 80GB FDB drive like ST380011A, but with 8MB cache and SATA) with AAM off is about equal for performance and power consumption. Idle noise is somewhat louder/hollower (due to lighter top cover), but it doesn't add up to much when you factor in fan noise in a complete PC. Seek noise without AAM...I didn't notice it in-situ (I have 2 of these in my current PC), but I will assume it being louder than ST340014A. Seek noise with AAM may well be quieter still, but I don't feel it worth the performance sacrifice. Another drive worthy of being used in a silent PC. I'd even recommend it over the Seagate opposition (ST380013AS). There are some reservations though. One of them is that if you buy one on eBay and don't check the suffix, you stand a chance of getting a nasty ball-bearing drive. Then where does the advantage go??? At least with the Seagate drive you know what you're getting. (Unless the product was misrepresented by an eBay seller, though I doubt they'd go to the trouble to do that for such an old obsolete drive.)

The only other drive I have that may be of interest to someone interested in silencing is Maxtor 6L040L2.

6L = series
                      040 = capacity
                      L = FDB (J would be BB)
                      2 = number of heads

I haven't actually used it in a PC though so I can't comment on seek noise.

Comment

I made a great "Dumpster Day" for one of the young Techie Kids in my neighborhood. I put one complete Gateway and three complete Dell Desktops out on the curb. Three of these systems were 2.4 P4. One was a 1 Ghz PIII. They all had two gigs of ram or better, 80 gig hard drives and DVD burners. The OS on them all is Xp. A kid came with a garden cart and took them all home. I bet that kid wasn't expecting fo find four complete working systems including keyboards, monitors and mice for nothing. Now I have no more old PC's shoved under my desk. My feet and legs fit under it now...LOL
                        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                        Rod Serling

Comment

probably right on the desktop platform.....but Linux is not 75% shit. It runs this site, remember!! As a server, Linux stomps M$ in every aspect!
                          I should have clarified.
                          For DESKTOPS and LAPTOPS, what I said holds true. for SERVERS it's LINUX all the way! Windows Server is STUPID SHIT!!!
                          Linux runs all my sites too, and I love it for that. But for the consumer/business desktop/laptop environment Linux is just not ready!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                            HAHAHAHAHHAHA! That was the best laugh all week

@JP: good for you for getting rid of your old computers. I should do that too... it's not like I'm ever going to sell them on Craiglist like I say I will

Comment

I have to jump in this one on the side of one flavor of Linux. I used Mint Gloria in a dual boot with my old Dell. It worked just fine. The OS was very much like windows xp but with different names for things. I did have to add a few add ons to get it to do what I wanted to do. It was free and it works. There is nothing wrong with that in my book.
                              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                              Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                                The only Seagate drives I know of with a rubber heat-insulating wrapper (which isn't really a "Shield" per se...) were the 5400RPM U Series. They included it for shock protection. I'm not sure I would remove it though because it also covers the top of the drive (and therefore has the label). They never put that type of thing on a Barracuda (7200RPM) drive, probably because with the higher speed (and number of platters, in the first two models) it would get too hot. Instead the Barracuda drives had a metal Shield with foam backing for electrial insulation.

Of course that also happens to be more of a problem as Barracuda ATA IV uses a BGA microcontroller. You'd think that if they went to the expense of adding a large metal shield that they would also use it to cool down the board components. Instead they let it insulate them...resulting in the microcontroller and motor driver getting hot enough to discolour the foam touching them

With the drives I've used, I've noticed it's the real old (and noisy!) Barracudas with metal SeaShield that seem the best, but the ones that came after I have had many fail with high reallocated sector issues - even the ones with no shield at all!
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Could it be an effect of population???

Approximately how many of the first three Barracuda ATA generations do you have, compared to the later (quiet) models???

Surely no Seagate drive can blow it harder than the 7200.11 with its firmware fuckup. (But I've used two 7200.12s and two 7200.11s with CC firmware. Both 7200.11s and one 7200.12 are dead. I've had better luck with older drives, including Seagates.) Other than that it's all a matter of YMMV. User X may get 100 drives and not have 1 fail, user Y may get 10 drives and have 5 fail.

I did notice a bit of a pattern. As I remember dead 7200.7s that I saw had ST for the microcontrollers. The ones that worked fine had Agere. Did you notice something like this???

That aside, the 7200.7 has been fine for me and I don't feel the inclination to swap a drive which starts at 40GB for one which maxes out at 40GB.

Perhaps Barracuda ATA III FDB really is "the best" but it's too small and not all that common. As for quietness? Idle did seem pretty quiet (though with a somewhat metallic character). Seeks? Been a while since I had it but I think they were a bit noisy, not unbearable though. (I didn't check whether AAM was on or off.)

Unfortunately you can't tell whether it has ball bearings or fluid-dynamic bearings from the model number...

Comment

It's about equal between the two. In fact if anything I probably have more of the older drives.

I'm not saying you should swap anything for anything. I'm just stating what I have observed - which is that many of my Seagate 7200.7 - 7200.10 have either failed outright (won't detect\hang machine at POST) or have many (1000+) bad sectors - while most from the older generations are still going just fine.

I know the sample size for a single user is small, but the trend I noticed seems consistent.
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

You never know. Mine might last 80,000 hours. And yours might be eating dust tomorrow.

Two more ST340014As I've seen with the ST microcontroller (or is it more of an ASIC???) were both unable to write data . Interestingly a third hard drive that I got with those was another ST340014A, but with the Agere chip (and a later firmware, but that's not what I'm discussing). It worked fine. The drive I have now is #4 as I gave the third one away. I also encountered an ST380011A (again with ST chips in vision) that tried to read data, but couldn't. Rather than simply clicking constantly, it had somewhat random (mis)behaviour. Whatever. As for non-Seagate failures, I had a WD400BB-00JHA0 (83GB/platter FDB drive like the one I mentioned above). It didn't have any mechanical problems, but the circuit board went AWOL.

I have a personal rule-of-thumb that if the drive has survived 30,000 hours, it'll probably stay that way (and that number is conservative), unless abused.

If this trend of drives with Agere chips failing to fail, and ST chips dying in normal use, continues...

...you know what I'm going to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts View Post
                                        I made a great "Dumpster Day" for one of the young Techie Kids in my neighborhood. I put one complete Gateway and three complete Dell Desktops out on the curb. Three of these systems were 2.4 P4. One was a 1 Ghz PIII. They all had two gigs of ram or better, 80 gig hard drives and DVD burners. The OS on them all is Xp. A kid came with a garden cart and took them all home. I bet that kid wasn't expecting fo find four complete working systems including keyboards, monitors and mice for nothing. Now I have no more old PC's shoved under my desk. My feet and legs fit under it now...LOL
                                        HAHAHA!!!

I wonder what he did with them, if he took them apart, or sold them.
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

In one day I got (for free). about 30 15" lcd monitors, 10 to 15 17" lcd monitors, and around 10 19" lcd monitors, 20 to 30 desktop computers, a pile of printers, misc other stuff.

Almost all of the 15" monitors worked, I fixed about 10 that did not. most of the 17" and 19" lcd monitors worked, I fixed a few that did not. Some I junked as they were REAL old. I sold all the 15" monitors at a yard sale, at the time I scrapped all the computers and printers.

I have done this several times (always free stuff).
                                          Last edited by flinx; 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM.
                                          "...off the record, unnamed government sources
                                          alluded to unsubstantiated innuendos about
                                          alleged indiscretions and insinuated that they
                                          are rumored not to be without basis for further
                                          speculation..."

Comment

Working...
                                          X