Problem with Samsung ps43d490 PDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Samsung ps43d490 PDP

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice with the above set.

Last night whilst watching a movie, the TV turned itself off. Now it keeps on turning off and on, it tries it a few times before giving up and displaying an error code on the front of the unit.

The code is a series of two flashes - five times before restarting the sequence with a short pause in between. I started to think that the PSU had gone...

I phoned a few repair centers to get a price, one guy said it wasn't the PSU and it was likely to be the X-main. Another said it was the YSUS board, he said to unplug the YSUS from everything and see if the symptoms are the same...

Unplugged the YSUS, now after a pause the TV tuns on and sound comes out of the speakers - but no display

Does this mean it is indeed the YSUS, and is it as simple as replacing the damaged board to get the TV up and running? I'm a computer tech by trade, so know a little but TV's = Im a newbie with no advanced tools.

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by mcfly666; 10-03-2013, 01:58 PM.

Re: Problem with Samsung ps43d490 PDP

The Y-main (=YSUS) and X-main are chained. The X-main connects to the Y-main. So, I would also try isolating the X-main board. Then, I would replace both X- and Y-main boards. The two boards frequently fail on these sets, though the X-main fails the most often. After replacing the boards, update the firmware to the latest version provided by Samsung to prevent repeat failure.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will try isolating the X-main and reconnecting the Y-main board and see what happens. I take it you just mean to unplug it.

If I isolate the X-main, am I looking for anything in particular to happen when the TV is powered up?

The TV is on the latest firmware so that's good, but If I buy both boards are they 'plug and play' I can see a small POT on the Y-main labeled VR5000-Vscan would I have to adjust this on the new board?

Thank you, I have really appreciated your reply.
      Last edited by mcfly666; 10-03-2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Yeah, just unplug the power cable, grey. Do not need to unplug the white flat flex cable or orange ribbon cables going to the plasma panel. Power must be off for at least 30 seconds before making changes to the cables.

The TV will power on and should produce audio but you will not get any image on the panel. The control board LED should light for 5 seconds, then go off for 2 secs and repeat this cycle, which indicates DRIVE DET FAIL (due to the missing X-main.)

Do also check the panel carefully for cracks: any crack in the panel will also prevent a picture from appearing and may, in rare cases, cause X- or Y-main failure. If the panel is cracked the TV is not repairable.

The boards are plug and play. After installing Y-main, check various test patterns (full white, half white, normal TV picture) for dead pixels, maldischarge (flickering/bright pixels) or pink/purple tint especially on bright scenes. If you note any of these, you will need to adjust -Vscan. Otherwise, you can leave it as is. Most of the time you do not need to make any adjustment.

You must swap both boards at the same time with working parts, due to how the energy recovery circuit chains between the boards (reduces plasma display power consumption.) Failure of one board can, in certain cases, damage the other. If you do not do this, your new board might fail.
        Last edited by tom66; 10-03-2013, 02:04 PM.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hello again, thanks for the information.

I isolated the X-main and turned the unit on. The TV screen went white briefly maybe trying to initialise? Like when the Y-main was disconnected the TV stayed on and produced sound.

The LED on the control board did exactly what you said it would, I doubt the panel is cracked, it has stayed on a wall mount for its life with no knocks (I hope they can't spontaneously crack!)

As long as your happy with the information I have given I shall order a new X-main/Y-main set tomorrow?

If this turns out OK I think I may owe you a few beers...

Comment

These panels can spontaneously crack, but it is rare. They are very easy to damage from impact though. So many pop up on eBay with cracked screens. But if you saw a bright white flash your Y-main and panel are probably good. I still recommend swapping the Y-main at the same time though.

When ordering the boards, make sure to match the LJxx number on PBA CODE (not PCB CODE) and the REV number, there are two revisions of this TV. One with a smaller inductor (coil) on the X-main and the other with a resistor (white cuboid.) The one with the resistor is much more common. You need to match the exact same type and REV NUMBER which is typically 1.2 or 1.3.
            Last edited by tom66; 10-03-2013, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks again Tom, finally I have a couple more questions. I know I can be tiresome!

The information I have for the two boards are as follows:

X-main
              model no 42DH X-MAIN
              PCB NO LJ41-09478A
              PBA NO LJ92-01796A
              REV NO R1.6(10/12/01)

Y-MAIN
              MODEL NO: 42DH YM
              PCB NO: LJ41-09479A
              REV NO: R1.7(10/12/01)
              PBA NO: LJ92-01797A

Which of those numbers do I refer to when purchasing parts, or would it be the number on the barcode type sticker?

I have also seen parts with some of the same numbers, but with different revisions. Can you mix and match different revision numbers and do later revisions have more reliability?

I have found these parts for sale on Ebay, though there is a risk from buying new I am leaning towards buying the parts from there, though from what I can gather most of them are from TV's with cracked panels and as you've said that can take out the boards..

Again, I can't thank you enough. Even if I don't go though the repair myself, I can at least sound like I know what I'm talking about if I take it to a repair center.

Regards

Martin
              Last edited by mcfly666; 10-03-2013, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Oh my god, I am so sorry!

I did not realise you gave answers to half my questions in a previous post. It's getting late and after a day of hard graft I am not on the ball.

Sorry if I have wasted your time.

Comment

You'll want to match the LJ92 number most importantly. REV number is usually higher is better, but you need to be careful with X-main as there are two variants which aren't compatible. One with coil one with resistor.

Can you provide a picture of your X-main board?

I would suggest trying places like flattvparts, emos, CHS first as they usually test their boards, but I've bought some from eBay with only rare problems and the buyer protection policy is solid enough.

No worries!
                  Last edited by tom66; 10-03-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

As requested, here are the pictures.

[/URL][/IMG]

It may be getting tired, but thanks again!

Comment

Darn - yours is the coil/inductor type. That's a hard board to get hold of. I had the same difficulty when I fixed a PS43D450, though eventually sourced one for £18.00. You need to match your board so it looks the same.

Comment

Hmm, managed to find both parts from parts4u uk (seem to be tied to flattvparts?) At least their warranty page is linked to flattvparts.

29 pounds all in with free delivery, they seem open and honest in that they say parts are untested and are pulled from cracked screen TV's though they will refund/replace if a fault is found.

However, they are the exact same parts. Part of me wants to get later revisions in the hope that Samsung have ironed out the bugs and this does not happen again.

I guess for 30 quid its worth a punt? Any idea what causes this fault, i mean is it something I could have avoided?
                        Last edited by mcfly666; 10-03-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

That's a good price. I think I (or friend) bought from parts4u uk before for the X-main which worked great. Same "as is untested" with refund policy. Samsung only released firmware to fix X-main failures a few months ago, when did you last update the firmware? New revision doesn't necessarily mean more reliable - it was a software bug on the control boards causing these to kill X-main boards. Some were dying after just 6 months!

The Y-buffer is a common victim of cracked panels, but 99% of the time, the X- and Y-main survive fine. Some people do get annoyed when their TV stops working and may hit the screen in frustration: leading to the combination of faulty TV and broken screen. That is rare though.
                          Last edited by tom66; 10-03-2013, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I think it must have been about year ago when I updated, I just imagined it was out of support as they normally do to tellys.

In fact I had such a hard time trying to find firmware for the PS43 for one reason or another I can't remember.

Well I have bit the bullet and ordered the parts, I might have a working TV thanks to you. Samsung really need to get themselves together. I phoned them up today and they said there was no known issues with the TV and did not want to know because it was out of warranty...

Comment

EDIT: just had a look for the new firmware, I could not find it on the UK site.

I found one on the .com site which is here http://www.samsung.com/nz/support/mo...ownloadName=FM

Released on the 2012.12.27 so I guess that's the one your referring to?

Cheers.

Comment

My apologies, I think i have found the correct one?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/de...me=PS43D490A1W

Released on the 9 Mar, 2013 I hope its not got Cinavia or anything nasty inside!

Comment

Not a known issue? Ha, biggest lie ever told by customer support is "it works fine for everyone else..."

Page 1 of fast track guide for D440 (entry level 2D version of your panel)

"Preventing the failure or repeated failure of the X Main board"

and further documentation

Comment

What gits!

I've a good mind to phone them up again and complain. Maybe I will get a bit further once they realise I know about the service bulletin.

It's nearly time for me to hit the sack, but I will continue to log in and keep you informed.

I really cannot thank you enough. I've learnt a thing or two and possibly saved myself a 100 quid thanks to you. It's good to know there are still kind people in the world!

kind regards

Martin

Comment

Replaced X/Y main and still the same issue.

Would anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Darn. Can't rule out faulty boards though -- they were honest about them being untested. Does the LED on the control board flash 5-2 still?

Comment

Working...
                                        X