White area on mobo indicates positive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White area on mobo indicates positive?

Ok, I am looking at a Asus A8N-VM CSM Rev 1.10GC, and all of the caps seem to be on backwards... All of the negative stripes on the capasitors are on the "non-white" area. the positive terminal of the capasitor is on the white half..... are they changing somethng?

Re: White area on mobo indicates positive?

They just don't follow the standard...
    Install new caps the same way the old caps are (i.e. follow the stripe on the cap, not the marking on the mobo)
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Asus did this for some reason on some of their motherboards. Don't know why, they just decided to do something confusing and different.

Comment

I always call them "ASS BACKWARD ASUS".....yes the white area on the silkscreen indicates the positive pole for the caps.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Asus... always innovative

lol

Comment

Same goes for ASRock. The white side = Positive
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

^
              Asustek makes both Asus and ASSrock.....
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

ASSrock... lol!
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'm laughing about this thread. When I started in electronics the positive lead of the capacitor was marked. The positive lead was also marked on the circuit boards in American designed products. Far from 'doing something different', Asus was doing things the way they always had been done before the Taiwanese got involved!!!

PlainBill
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Asus + PcChips = ASSrock
                    Asus designs, PcChips [more correctly: Hsing Tech] builds.
                    Asus's bright idea to gain a chunk of the low dollar market.

For PcChips:
                    Hsing Tech = Manufacturing branch.
                    PcChips = Distribution branch.
                    [Same corporation.]

Not sure if ECS has the same arrangement as Asus or if PcChips and ECS simply merged.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Once in a great while someone will make up a bad silk screen to mark their boards.
                      When that happens just some of the cap polarity markings may be reversed.
                      -
                      Always best to make up a map of the PCB showing the original cap polarities before you start pulling caps.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                        Asus + PcChips = ASSrock
                        Asus designs, PcChips [more correctly: Hsing Tech] builds.
                        Asus's bright idea to gain a chunk of the low dollar market.

For PcChips:
                        Hsing Tech = Manufacturing branch.
                        PcChips = Distribution branch.
                        [Same corporation.]

Not sure if ECS has the same arrangement as Asus or if PcChips and ECS simply merged.

I think Hsing Tech is the name of the factory that ECS and PCChips have. When hardwaresecrets took a tour of the ECS factory there were PCChips on display next to ECS boards and pallets of PCChips boards around.

Comment

I always believed that ECS branded their low quality boards ECS and their VERY low quality boards PCChips.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                            I think Hsing Tech is the name of the factory that ECS and PCChips have. When hardwaresecrets took a tour of the ECS factory there were PCChips on display next to ECS boards and pallets of PCChips boards around.
                            That's what I said.
                            The ECS association with them is new in the last few years though.
                            Hsing Tech and PcChips have been around since the early 90's.

I spoke [via email, in the late 90's] with the General Manager of Hsing Tech about having a custom board built. I wanted 100. I didn't have enough cash for the minimum order of 10,000 boards.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

wait what...?!
                              ASRock = backwards too? I have been trying to fix an Abit IS7- E without most caps and it doesn't POST --- are they really backwards? you have to be kidding me

all that work only to take em out and put em back in the otherway around

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment

What does ASRock have to do with Abit?

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

My fault sorry, I mixed them up %)

Comment

Working...
                                  X