Repairing Alesis M1 MK2 Monitor Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing Alesis M1 MK2 Monitor Speakers

I have a pair of these Speakers given to me that seem to work fine and I haven't used anything like these before and my only way of testing them was to use a standard 1/4" guitar cord and I also used a 3 pin XLR cord, My Acoustic Guitar has both and it has a built in preamp. the jacks on the speaker cabinets have exposed contacts and it appears that the plastic dust covers are broken and gone..I have found these on ebay...https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Neut...s/330915900629
    but I'm not sure if these are the correct replacements, they show that the 1/4" connector portion of these jacks are "Stereo" my guitar cords are mono. does anyone know if the replacement jacks ( Ebay Item) I have posted the link here) are the correct replacement jacks? Thanks
    Last edited by MisterD; 03-05-2021, 11:37 AM.

Re: Repairing Alesis M1 MK2 Monitor Speakers

stereo can also be used for balanced which xlr generally is

Comment

interesting connectors.
      10x the price of a 6.3mm jack - but i like them!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        interesting connectors.
        10x the price of a 6.3mm jack - but i like them!
        https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/p...combo-i-series There are many variations of these, I haven't pulled mine out of the speaker cabinet to look at them yet. they could be pc board mounted instead of hard wired. I also wonder if they have a part number on them, they could be made by Nutrik, I'm not sure.

Comment

The connector is indeed PCB-mount (not solder-cup terminated), and is an NCJ6FI-V (Neutrik Cannon Jack, 6 pins, Female, I series, vertical mount).

It may or may not be some "custom" version with a couple more mechanical-support pins though, but i can't be 10000% sure. The one i have here has the connector covered in some heatshrink and glued at both ends (where it meets the rear panel as well as the PCB), in order to minimize air leakage and potential air noise when playing loud bass notes.
          Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Originally posted by Khron View Post
            The connector is indeed PCB-mount (not solder-cup terminated), and is an NCJ6FI-V (Neutrik Cannon Jack, 6 pins, Female, I series, vertical mount).

It may or may not be some "custom" version with a couple more mechanical-support pins though, but i can't be 10000% sure. The one i have here has the connector covered in some heatshrink and glued at both ends (where it meets the rear panel as well as the PCB), in order to minimize air leakage and potential air noise when playing loud bass notes.
            When you say the connector is covered with some heatshrink are you referring to the very front of the jack connectors where the XLR or 1/4" plug goes into the jack? One of these speakers had something like that and the other one didn't, but my Nephew took these to Guitar Center to try to sell them and they somehow pulled off one of the heatshrink covers and then said it wasn't there to begin with and then didn't want to purchase the Speakers because of exposed metal contacts but these brand new replacment connectors here on ebay have the same exposed metal contacts that can be seen here...https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Neutrik-...k/262764276052

Comment

No, I meant between the metal rear panel (where everything else is bolted to), and the surface of the small PCB the input combo-connector and the volume potentiometer are soldered onto. I'll snap a couple photos when I get home tonight.
              Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Originally posted by Khron View Post

Full disclosure - might've slightly mis-spoke there. At least on my pair, the connectors are actually "New Tide" branded (have fun finding out / figuring out the part number), but they are regardless PCB-mount and vertical (not solder-cup terminated as in the earlier eBay link).

As mentioned though, as opposed to the Neutrik options, these do seem to have two extra mechanical-reinforcement pins that are connected to ground.

See attached photos regarding the heatshrink+glue treatment.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X