Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P5K SE Choke replacement

Hello

I have the above board and while it works perfectly one of the chokes whines and I would like to replace it.

http://static.nix.ru/autocatalog/mot.../67037_top.jpg

My question is that R68 chokes are very common, I can harvest off a dead board but does it have to be the exact same as is currently on the board or are all R68 stamped chokes equal?

Thanks!

Re: Asus P5K SE Choke replacement

There's no harm in trying it, and they're not polarized.

Good luck desoldering it though and then clearing the holes afterwards.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Desolder station makes short work of them

Will see if I have anything that fits in the pile of death

Comment

He he, lucky you...

It took 4 or 5 episodes of Sherlock Holmes over here just to desolder and clear the holes off the VRM low caps on an Asus P5B-VM.

They must have used some secret nazi lead-free alloy... The stuff is almost impossible to remove.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

If you don't have a heatgun, do the work with the board on top of a griddle or room heater and it'll go much faster.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            If you don't have a heatgun, do the work with the board on top of a griddle or room heater and it'll go much faster.
            Thanks, will do

Comment

Originally posted by Bungz
              I have the above board and while it works perfectly one of the chokes whines and I would like to replace it.
              Unless the noise is really annoying you, I wouldn't worry about it.
              If it's a toroidal inductor, you can also try to "pot" it with glue (but the glue has to be non-corrosive).
              I sometimes use wood glue for stuff like that.

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              I used to do that (pre-heat board with heat gun) when I only had my 30 Watt Radio Shack iron. It works, but.... meh. Don't expect miracles.

There's no replacement for a soldering station with T12/T15 tips, though (or if you have money, a JBC ). Takes me a minute or less to take out even the toughest coils.

Comment

Working...
              X