Sharp Aquos LC-70LE650U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp Aquos LC-70LE650U

the bonded tabs are like tape which just pulls off. They have to be pull up from the front of the panel.... if you look close at the edge of the panel, you can see where the "tape" sits / rides. You do have to be careful as you can damage the tracks underneath which would be bad. It doesn't really matter where you start but they all have to be removed from the "bad side". Your chances of success are high as this "operation" has been probably performed hundreds if not thousands of times as it keeps one more set from the dump.
    Last edited by budwich; 09-10-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Looks like the only thing left to do is surgery, right?
      YES. Watching better the monoscope photo, yes there can be something like a short on the drivers outputs where there is that stripe, so a inactive driver can load down some current, (i'm on a field of supposition, i have done few tests).

Comment

I'm looking at these tabs...

Last edited by b43n70n; 09-11-2018, 06:28 AM.

Comment

yep... if you look close at them, you might see some sort of "heating marks" in and around the embedded chip.... that is one clue. Sometimes people find one hot to touch compared to others. basically, if you look at the "tape" near the panel, you can see that it is "laid down" on the panel edge just like a "regular piece of tape. It is removed by gently pulling up on the bottom or top edge and slowly "ripping" it off.

In your picture, it appears perhaps that the bottom one might have some "stain" although that could be a reflection in the picture.

Comment

After removing the tabs and turning on the TV, it started to smoke on the bottom left corner behind the panel.

I immediately turned it off and after a few minutes passed I turned it back on. No smoke this time.

Looks like it is working at this point.

Last edited by b43n70n; 09-11-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

WHAT!!! you let the smoke out and now it works! :-)

hmmm that doesn't sound good maybe somewhere was touching the frame.... check to make sure that no portions of the edge boards are touching areas that shouldn't be in contact with metal. It appears that you have done good overall. Hope it lasts as most have.

can you tell / smell where exactly the smoke was generated?
              Last edited by budwich; 09-11-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Can't tell where it came from but I still had the narrow circuit boards connected to the bottom corner ribbon cable. I removed the narrow boards and covered the end of the ribbon cable with some tape. Hopefully this will work...

Once I sat down to look at the gates I saw that the one at the bottom left corner was crispy. Take a look.

Notice the corner, it's discolored and damaged too.

Thank you for helping me with this, I feel the other TV is going to need the same treatment...

Comment

it is possible that since you left the interconnection cable still connected to the side edge board that it was still trying to drive the components. Anyways, you are now an experienced saver .... :-)

note: you don't need the bottom corner ribbon cable... it can be removed from the set.
                  Last edited by budwich; 09-11-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

got this same set yesterday - -exact same symptoms. removed buffer tabs, small ribbon cable that connects bottom boards to side boards and set lives again. Want to thank everyone who contributed to this post = nothing better than success and saving another one from the dumpster. been looking to upgrade my shop tv !

Comment

but this cut only works on size TVs70 "

what about half calf chips on the sides of the TV?
                      I'm not clear on the point of this cutting .. how can a TV work if one cuts? Hehehe
                      Last edited by markolino; 03-06-2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

it works on any set with "external drivers" (ie. not embedded in the panel).... assuming the problem is related to drivers and not something with the bottom edge boards or the panel itself (eg. window washing and such contamination).

Comment

I know it's an old thread, just posting my success story! (July 2023) I just acquired this set for free (curb alert) and after removing the driver board(s) on the affected side of the screen as suggested, it worked! I'm still VERY confused as to why the TV appears to work like new again after removing these components, go figure. Anyway I'm back in business. Many thanks to all that contributed about their own experience.

Comment

Working...
                          X