12 volt DC Wiper motor hookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 volt DC Wiper motor hookup

I have a 12 volt wiper motor off a ford car that I was hoping to use to power the feed belt of a diy thickness sander but I am not sure how to hook it to a 12 volt battery. The wires on the connector are numbered with the following color
    1- orange/purple
    2 - white
    3 -Green/Black
    4 -
    5 - Purple/White
    6 - Black/Green
    7 - Green/White
    8 - Purple/White
    9 - Green/Black
    10 - orange/Blue
    11 - purple/white
    12 - Grey/brown
    5,6,7and 8 are heavier gauge wire than 1,2,3,9,10,11 and 12. 4 is empty and both 5 and 8 are common
    Tried a number of combinations but nothing worked Not at all sure how this should work any help greatly appreciated
    Attached Files

Re: 12 volt DC Wiper motor hookup

best bet is find the wiring diagram for the car and hope it shows switch connections .

Comment

12 wires? It will be easier to train a hamster to spin a wheel.
      WS00000399 is from 2007-2011 Ford Focus. There was a recall for water getting in them. Ford seemed to go crazy with the designs.

Look for a Ford Focus wiring diagram, but I did not see any with so many wires. Unless it's from a minivan where the wipers park.

Comment

you need to open it, it has switches in it to detect the end of travel and may even have them wired to reverse the motor.
        you have to remove the limit switches and any type of cam that hits them and limits rotation.

Comment

Correction wire 9 is (green and purple) not black. Tks redwire it is from a ford focus and maybe it doesn't work? I'll see what I can find in a wiring diagram at the local Ford service center, but they don't like sharing that kind of info?? Anyone know where I might find one on line? I did some searching but didn't find anything specific.

Comment

what year?
            i have 2006 and 2010 manuals

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              what year?
              i have 2006 and 2010 manuals
              Tks stj but I have no idea of the year just what popped up when I Googled part # WS00000399 it says 2007 - 2011 Ford Focus. I pulled it from a wreck in the scrap yard and didn't realize it was going to be so complicated.??

Comment

someone at FORScan forum might have diagrams

Comment

Originally posted by davg View Post
                  Tks stj but I have no idea of the year just what popped up when I Googled part # WS00000399 it says 2007 - 2011 Ford Focus. I pulled it from a wreck in the scrap yard and didn't realize it was going to be so complicated.??
                  Many auto parts stores have tools and documentation that they will make available to you (for free). Autozone, O'Reilley, Pep Boys, etc. No idea who does business north of the border, though...

They may even have a test fixture/harness that you could use to check the operation of the motor.

Comment

I do have a 99-05 Haynes manual for my Focus on the way this week. I'll let you know when I get it and see if it has anything detailed like that in there (though I doubt it.) I imagine the 2007-2011 Focus models shouldn't be that much more different that the first MK1 and MK2 Focus models, but who knows? With so much computerized crap in cars nowadays, it could be a completely different part design.

Comment

I would take a volt meter and see which wire have a direct short will be your switches and ones that some resistance to them might the motor windings It might be high and low speed winding

There might be a park switch and what the other wires not sure of
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-27-2019, 04:43 AM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply
                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

just open it,
                        your intended use has no use for end-sensors or switches anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          just open it,
                          your intended use has no use for end-sensors or switches anyway.
                          There may be a connection to unswitched battery that ensures the wipers park even if the ignition is switched off "mid-action". And, another connection to the wiper control knob and SWITCHED battery (i.e., so the wipers keep running into "park" with ignition off but can't be turned on with ignition off).

Mitchell or Autodata should have the info needed (or, your local auto parts store).

Comment

This is complicated I did open it up and yes there is a switch on a circuit board controlled by a magnet on the rotor and the circuit board has three contacts that feed into the motor which are the two speeds and ground. I can run the motor by putting 12 volts across these contacts but I can't find any wires in the wiring harness that will supply 12 volts directly to any of these contacts?? I could eliminate the circuit board??

Comment

yes, it's a 12v motor so rip the junk out.

Comment

If you are going to use as a sander motor let me make a subjection to you to maybe also use a current sensor meter and here is why

This motor was made for a windshield which does not have very much load on it but you going be using as a sander which the current load will very and if use for a long time you might find that the motor will get very warm to very hot and it might do this very fast depending on how much current load you are doing

Something like this

I have not bought from this seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-100V-100...53.m1438.l2649

I have bought from this seller
                                I bought two of them one was the right model the other one was not the right model

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-300V-50A...sAAOSwHGJcOJb4
                                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-29-2019, 08:25 AM.
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply
                                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                  If you are going to use as a sander motor let me make a subjection to you to maybe also use a current sensor meter and here is why

This motor was made for a windshield which does not have very much load on it but you going be using as a sander which the current load will very and if use for a long time you might find that the motor will get very warm to very hot and it might do this very fast depending on how much current load you are doing

Something like this

I have not bought from this seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-100V-100...53.m1438.l2649

I have bought from this seller
                                  I bought two of them one was the right model the other one was not the right model

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-300V-50A...sAAOSwHGJcOJb4
                                  Just using it to run the conveyer belt not the sanding drum not sure how much load that would place on the motor? Just what benefit would this device provide other than show what kind of loads the motor is being subjected to?

Comment

Working...
                                  X