Bios settings for add in cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bios settings for add in cards

I just had and interesting turn of events with my Junk Dell P4. The output sound jack on the rear of the mobo is bad so I added a Sound Blaster Live card to get around this problem. I tried to burn a few movies the day before yesterday but I kept getting error code = 122 during the burn using DVDFab5 and 6. I uninstalled and reinstalled all my burning progies but I still kept getting that error. So I called my brother to see if he could solve my problem, and he did. The first thing he said was did you turn off your onboard sound chip in your BIOS? I'm like no I didn't. I thought it was a smart bios that would see that there was and installed sound card, and use it by default. Well I went into the bios and turned off the onboard sound chip, and the error =122 went away. Life is good! At least I now know what error =122 means! Errow =122 means "Junk Parts Screwed Up Again!"...LOL
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: Bios settings for add in cards

Makes logical sense.
    Whenever I setup a system I always go through the BIOS and switch stuff off that I don't need (like the onboard sound as I have an Audigy card installed). I find that it frees up any I/O that the system might use for other stuff as well as helps take care of headaches when troubleshooting and in one case, overclocking.
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

I've run 2 sound cards for recording before. Onboard was on too.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
        I've run 2 sound cards for recording before. Onboard was on too.
        some boards don't like that due to irqs. check irq settings in bios. check for a disable jumper on the board.

edit: also remove the onboard driver- that will f*** things up in windows sometimes. at the very least, it removes some bloat from the machine

just for our info, what audio chip is on the board (not sb live) that way we know what chip to be careful of
        Last edited by ratdude747; 06-22-2009, 10:01 PM.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
        X