Netbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netbooks

I need a Netbook for school. My budget is $600AUD. In my price range includes:

* Asus Eeepc 900
    * Acer Aspire one 8.9"
    * HP mini note 1000 (goes a bit over the budget)
    * Dell Inspiron mini 9 (goes over the budget a bit)

I would prefer less than $600. I also want a little sea change in my house.... I've always bought Dell laptops and I want a seachange.... I would like an Asus or an Acer mini laptop for a change.... what's better the Asus or the Acer?

It seems to me everyone in my classroom uses an Asus laptop and they seem pretty good from what I can see. Never ever seen anyone use an Acer though?

So what should I buy?

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Netbooks

I would also prefer the Asus eeepc 701 (the original one) as well. 7" screen, cheap and efficient. It's half price at only $299AU which i think is a good deal.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Yup, I think the 701 looks good for me... runs Linux

Very though as my friend abuses his and it works wonders. might save the other $200-300 for something else. Is the Celeron CPU power hungry?

Comment

frankly.... you gotta be specific about your hardware needs/preferences.

battery life?
        expansion ports? (more than three usb ports, express card slot etc)
        windows bundle or linux?
        hard disk? SSD?

these things can slim down your options a lot.

the samsung netbooks seem to be very good, but i'm not sure about availability in AU.

then there are lenovo's s9e/s10e that have LED backlight and an expresscard slot and EFI BIOS (called 'splashtop')... those look very interesting.

but at that price (though i was surprised how little 600AUD are worth) you can't go wrong with the 701.
        hacks are plenty and well documented (touchscreen, cheap internal SD storage, gps etc.), i guess you can have much fun with that thing.
        "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Battery life about 2 hours and I'd be very happy.... my classroom has powerpoints so that isn't a problem. As for expansion ports, at least 2 USB ports and above will be fine.... otherwise a USB hub plays out well. Of course I'll need the HDD to be SSD.... like 4GB will even be enough for my needs.... it's only word documents I am talking about here.... otherwise an SDHC card will play out very well. For the OS, Linux for Windows XP, I don't care.... If I don't like Linux i'll just use my external cd drive to reformat and reinstall Windows.... easy as pie.

The CPU itself can be a Celeron, I don't mind and 512MB of RAM and above will work for me so that doesn't matter.

Um. do you guys know if the eeepc 701 uses LED backlight? or normal fluorescent tubes?

Thanks.

Comment

We stock the Acer's at work. I do not really care for the vertical trackpad buttons on the side of the trackpad. Also the ones we have must be split in half to upgrade the memory and Acer tells us this voids the warranty. I bought my son the Asus 1000HA and I like the touchpad better than the Acer. Also the memory and hard drive are located under a simple access panel on the bottom so maxing out the ram was a two minute project.

Comment

I've also heard the screens on the Acer crack themselves at times? is this true?

Comment

EEEEEEEEEEEPC is way too small for me. Small keyboard and minuscule screen. Get an older subnotebook. You're really going to be typing notes in class on a electronic dictionary sized thing?

Comment

me too
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

MSI doesn't sell down there?
                    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

MSi Wind. I'm kinda weary of intel atom. Its pretty neutered. Thats why I still say get a real laptop with a real CPU.

Comment

Hey, mine works great! Don't knock it 'till you try it.
                        A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

I used my friends black 4GB Eeepc 701 and the screen is a little too small. I have to scroll left and right in a word document which is annoying, so I'm opting for the eeepc 900 series now. Costs about $500, but I think it's worth it for the 8.9" screen.

Comment

I got to the store today and was about to settle on the Asus eeepc 900HA, but then across the display rack I saw a Toshiba NB100 netbook.... the price difference was $10 more and the Toshiba had Bluetooth as well. So in the end I purchased the Toshiba NB100 for $550 AUD, then added on another $69 for a two year warranty extension to mae 3 years warranty in total. I'm pretty happy with the Toshiba for now, though I am trying to get used to the keyboard.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X