CoolerMaster Case RC-690-KKN1-GP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CoolerMaster Case RC-690-KKN1-GP

I wasnt intending to get this case but it was available and the price was 79 euro which doesnt need much thinking about. The led fan at the front is way more subtle than the photo indicates.

It is made from steel not aluminium and consequently has a heavy weight which some may prefer, others not. It has plastic trim along the sides with a thin shiny metal trim which looks quite good

the rear of the case. it has a 120mm fan and the psu is at the bottom

I am still not too sure about the psu on the bottom. i have it upside down for now while i make some investigation about the temps later. the case has holes to allow the psu to be either fan up or down

removal of the other side panel is necessary to access the hdd cables

the power button is not a touch one but takes a bit of pressing in. not great but ok. it has blue power light and red for hdd

at the top of the case is the connectors which are 2 usb, firewire, esata and mic/headphone

the optical drives have a rail system which can be used or otherwise screws can be used which i prefer. there is position for spare screws to be secured there also

the hdd system is rails only which was a major disappointment but considering that the hdd trays unit is not removable obviously they cant put a screw option
    Attached Files
    Last edited by willawake; 01-10-2009, 11:18 AM.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Re: CoolerMaster Case RC-690-KKN1-GP

here is one of the rails system for the hdds. it holds them strong enough

the cards are held in by tool-less system which works ok

above there is room for two fans. personally i am not that much into fans and i will look for soundproofing material to close these holes

psu area. dunno about the filter thing

there is room for two fans on the side panel. one is included which is non led. therefore it would be possible to immediately swap out the front led one if the user wanted. again i will close these holes

the front fascia is plastic.

these metal bay covers are very difficult to get out. they have dust shields also

the front cover is attached with plastic pegs. not a favourite system for me cos they might break. these seem solid but the panel is rather difficult to get off

the front fan is accessed by three screws. it is again with dust shield

so overall this case is pretty ok for the money. i was able to do some reasonable cable management
    Attached Files
    Last edited by willawake; 01-10-2009, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I assembled a PC for one of my clients using a Cooler Master case which was similar in design but probably twice as big as it was a Cosmos series full ATX case. The filter thing at the bottom case is another fan bay and I dont think it really matters which way you have the PSU. I put the PSU with the fan sucking in air from the bottom of the case.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

twice as big? are you sure

Comment

Not a fan for cooling the drives?

Zandrax
          Have an happy life.

Comment

the front fan is doing that somewhat

Comment

Sorry, I missed it

Zandrax
              Have an happy life.

Comment

>heavy weight which some may prefer, others not.

i dream of plastic case that would weigh not more than 1 ram module!

>I am still not too sure about the psu on the bottom.

one of the best ideas i ever saw: psu is always in the fuckin' way!

what machine did you have prior to this, and what's the (intel) mobo and cpu in this one?

Comment

I was going to buy this same case on newegg (except it was the nvidia edition,) for $79.99 down from $119.99. (as newegg calls it, -$40.00 instant,) but literally as soon as i put it in my cart, it changed to -$20.00 instant. That made me mad.

Originally posted by willawake
                  twice as big? are you sure
                  If you have never seens a cooler master cosmos in person, they are HUGE. My friend has one, and he has a 32" monitor. He brought it to a lan party, and he put had to put his computer behind his monitor. His computer was about the same width as the monitor, and about 5 inches taller.

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                    what machine did you have prior to this, and what's the (intel) mobo and cpu in this one?
                    previous i had the intel d875pbzlk with 2.8 northwood which served me for many years and will go to the office to replace my cusl2 866 pos. this one is dx58so with core i7 920. i hope it serve me the same for some years.
                    Last edited by willawake; 01-11-2009, 06:55 PM.

Comment

by god, nice system to do video on...i think i'll get one...in 10 years or so...
                      will be just cheap enough then!
                      hehe...

Comment

typically this will be a POS by mid 2009

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                          If you have never seens a cooler master cosmos in person, they are HUGE. My friend has one, and he has a 32" monitor. He brought it to a lan party, and he put had to put his computer behind his monitor. His computer was about the same width as the monitor, and about 5 inches taller.
                          Yup, that thing was huge and it cost my friend $350AU or so for a case which is very very expensive. I only spend $100 or under on my cases so $350AU is quite a big hike in pricing. The Cosmos and the cardboard box that it was contained in was so huge that it just fit inside the boot of my Toyota Corolla and that was after we cleared everything out of the boot.
                          What was worse was that it took two people to lift the case + cardboard box into the car and then again into the house. I think it might have weighed 25Kg+ and that really killed my back.
                          When we installed the Asus P5Q Pro motherboard inside it which is a full size ATX board, it looked like a baby inside the case.... there was so much free space left that we didn't even bother tying up the cables, but we still ensured airflow was perfect for the Q8200 Core2Quad CPU and the HD4870 graphics card contained within the case.
                          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

i was listening to the onboard realtek audio on this intel smackover board for a while but now i just switched to pci m-audio audiophile192 which i was using on the media pc and the difference is like night and day. no more distortions, wow i forgot what a good card this is. unfortunately they are still in beta for xp64 driver which is kinda crap and imho its not perfect makes occasional glitches
                            Last edited by willawake; 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                              typically this will be a POS by mid 2009
                              what? already?????

Attached Files

Comment

What kind of video card? This could have tripped this up.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                                X