Capacitor Identification and Quality Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor Identification and Quality Question

So I found a local hobby store that has a a bunch of capacitors at like $0.15-$0.50 each. Mainly nichicon, but they have 3 other brands I've never heard of and one of them I can't identify. I've done some research, but haven't found anything yet. So any input if I should use them or not would be greatly appreciated.

1.) Sprague
    2.) Marcon
    3.) Not labeled (see picture below)

Re: Capacitor Identification and Quality Question

Originally posted by Ritalin View Post
    I believe M is Panasonic's parent company. Matsushita.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1.) Sprague
      Owned by Vishay, which is one of the largest electronics components companies out there. Their website shows only tantalum capacitors. These aren't the usual types of capacitors we deal with on here, so I don't know a whole lot about them.

2.) Marcon
      Originally owned by Toshiba, was bought by United Chemi-con. I see Marcon in a lot of old (think 1980s) Japanese audio equipment. Seems to be (or was) decently reliable, as I don't see failures very often. I have no idea if Marcon is still produced, or what the reliability of their current offerings may be.

This is a Panasonic capcacitor. The "M" in the rounded square stands for Matsushita, the parent company of Panasonic. Panasonic capacitors are very reliable. The series you have here is HFQ, which is low impedance, but not that low. It may be useful for some motherboard applications, but other Panasonic series are better suited for motherboard use.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I only paid....

$.25 for the Sprague (330uF @25V)
        $.20 for the Marcon (47uF @50V)
        $.15 for the 3rd one (820uF @25V)

And I'm using them in a LCD monitor that I just repaired and so far so good. Just hope they last awhile.

Comment

The Sprague and Marcon are probably general purpose and not suitable. If your monitor is working fine, though, leave them in.

The Panasonic HFQ are good for power supplies, so your monitor should be fine with those.
          Last edited by momaka; 01-18-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Marcon is a good Japanese capacitor, you see them more in 70's, 80's & 90's equipment and the cool thing is, they normally have a date code! - for example they might have 9215 which would indicate the 15th week of 1992

the BIG 4

~~~ the top tier of low-ESR electrolytic capacitors ~~~

Comment

Pretty sure Nippon Chemicon bought Sprague's electrolytics. Sprague's ceramic disc capacitor group went indy as Ceramite, which is now part of Vishay. I forget who bought Sprague's film capacitors ("Orange Drop") division.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

For the last few years, our local mechanic has been bringing me failed injector pump control modules from Same tractors.
                The module contains five Marcon capacitors, all of different values.
                Always and only one of them, a 100uf/25v on the 5v rail leaks its electrolyte which corrodes open nearby tracks.

Comment

r_60, Marcon was bought by Nippon Chemi-Con in 1995. So those Marcon capacitors may be "bad", in the sense that they have failed, but they are 20 years old or more, which is a fairly long life for an electrolytic capacitor. So Marcon capacitors are not "bad" in the sense of being of poor quality. To the contrary, in the 1980s and first half of the 1990s they were among the best when it came to low impedance electrolytic capacitors.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                  X