Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP DV6 6170em - motherboard dead after liquid (cola) spill. Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP DV6 6170em - motherboard dead after liquid (cola) spill. Please help!

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
    best working method is to know where it was spilled the cola . what zone... if it goes near lvds connector , kb controller, cpu, video and so on. look where it was the cola for shorted pins or blown resistor -capacitors.

i had a hp i3 with spilled liquid and there was a short in the lvds socket on mainboard. cleaned all and resoldered back pins and is working fine now.

I don't know the exact zone of the cola spill as previous owner already cleaned it before I got the laptop. I also thoughtfully cleaned the motherboard (washed it with soap and warm water, contact spray and isopropyl alcohol) . It looks very clean now.

I'm worried about this low resistance (9ohm) on PL801 and PL803. By it's position look's like power supplies for GPU...

Cheers,

Suad
    Last edited by scokljat; 11-25-2014, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher_UK View Post
      Might be an obvious question, but could the power switch have cola residue in it, causing a short? It would maybe cause an on/off cycle - once switched on, if you hold the power button for 5 seconds it would switch off, so if it's cycling off after 5 seconds, it's a possibility. It's happened to me before now. If the power button has a seperate board, maybe give that a clean?
      Power switch is OK. I've tested it. Truth is the computer does not cycle in 5 sec loop in the standard fashion when all power supplies work. It just powers on a brief fraction of a second, all voltages jump a little bit and than it shuts off and than again on after 5 sec. Power LED and fan just blink a little bit every 5 seconds.

On the motherboard, 12V, 5V and 3.3V looks OK, but all other power supplies barely jump to few volts and than to zero in a 5 sec. loop... Everything runs cool. Nothing looks burned or broken.

Looks like some protection turns in when all voltage converters start... not sure...

Cheers,

Suad
      Last edited by scokljat; 11-25-2014, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Check bios battery. Reflash bios.
        Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Ok, I am really sorry for the wait, but here are the results.
          Please note that my motherboard wasn't the same, but I still did the tests on similar components. I have made a legend in one of the pictures that explains what is what in the .txt file. I also tested the coils at the top left corner of the picture. They are test 14 and 15.
          Everything is in the .zip file.
          Attached Files
          Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...

Comment

Have you tested the FETs (or at least I think they're FETs) in this picture?
            Attached Files

Comment

How is the repair going? Did you manage to repair it?

Comment

Originally posted by reaper57 View Post
                How is the repair going? Did you manage to repair it?
                Dear Reaper,

First, thank you very much for your time and effort for trying to help me to the level that you actually took your own laptop completely apart. That kind of support is simply astonishing :-)

From your readings I can tell that mine 9-10ohm looks OK, although that part of the motherboard is quite different than mine.

As for the FET's on the left side, I think they're OK and they do 5V and 3.3V or something... I think I'll quit this repair, for now...

But, I'm in Shenzhen (China) right now doing some business. Shenzhen is Chinese center of manufacturing (cheap) tablets, phones, laptops, fake and cheap consumer electronics and computers... Look at ebay and alibaba, 80% of stuff comes from Shenzhen. Well, I found 641489-001 second hand motherboard (same as mine but with 1GB video RAM) for little more than 50$, I'll pick it up tomorrow and test it next week when I come back home. I hope that my i5 CPU is OK.

...I'll also need some luck, because doing business with Chinese is amazing experience, tested-works does not have the same meaning as in EU or US ;-)

Thanks!

Cheers!

S

Comment

did you check the BIOS battery? Compaqs won't boot with a bad CMOS battery.
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                    did you check the BIOS battery? Compaqs won't boot with a bad CMOS battery.
                    As I remember I did - it's OK. Will check again when I come back home...

Thanks,

Best regards,

Suad

Comment

Meh, it's nothing. I just hope I could have opened it up earlier.
                      Now when I think about it, I have ordered some stuff trough ebay that came from Shenzhen. What do you mean by the tested and working isn't the same? I have ordered a lot of things from ebay and I have never received anything faulty from China. in fact the only DOA goods I've had were from the UK and the US.

Comment

Working...
                      X