Onkyo TX-NR838 Preamp board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo TX-NR838 Preamp board

I recently purchased a used 838 that had gone into protect mode. Upon investigation, I found that the SR section of the preamp driver board had several shorted transistors and burnt components. This section of the board was badly burnt with some of the copper runs pulling away. I was not able to source any of the transistors, so I cut the board in three pieces and plugged the SBR section into the SR connector on the main amp board. The receiver is back up and running but only as a 5.1 system. Does anyone know where I may be able to source either an entire good board (part #bccla-1579), or even a bad board. I could isolate a good section to get back up to full 7.1.

Thanks

PS. Onkyo was of no help whatsoever.

Re: Onkyo TX-NR838 Preamp board

Why don't you just order a new board from a service like this https://www.eurocircuits.com ( just googled it, have not tried them )? Too bad that they do not provide any more the pcb schematic in the service manuals, so you will have to scan the original board and process it in the required format for printing.

If onkyo does not want to provide you a new one, you have the following options - ask an authorized service to order the board for you or wait for a dead unit to show up for sale on ebay or a similar site.

By the way how bad is the original board? Can we have some photos?

Comment

Re: Onkyo TX-NR838 Preamp board

Thanks for the comments. I contacted both Onkyo and the nearest authorized service rep and they both were of no help. They will not sell the board at all. I will keep my eyes out on ebay etc and hope that one comes up. I know the same board was used on the 737 model as well.

The board was so badly burnt that I threw it out.

Comment

Working...
      X