X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MOBOs worth repairing or trash?

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
    --snipped--
    Some are just thermistors/resistors that reduce line voltage, which ironically increases the current drawn AND reduces the motor's starting torque!

They're all just SCAMS! Oh, sure, their "literature" sprinkles some musings of AC theory in, but that's only to (attempt to) make their outright lies more convincing.

The ones that are capacitors are shaky at best; that motor is loaded at all times, most "large" fridges, within the last 15 years, already have run caps! As does your central AC or window aircon- see the run cap inside?

That crap should've ended in the late '80s, right after it first started... The only people to financially benefit are the scammers themselves.

But if enough fish "are biting," the scammers will keep up.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    You can't make any device consume power more "efficiently" simply by installing a PFC. The only thing PFC does is it makes the device appear as a resistive load to the grid. This only matters to the power distribution company, because you pay for the real power you use and not reactive or apparent power. I'll stop there as I've derailed this thread quite far now. But do a little research online on real/active/reactive power, and you will see what I mean.
    Oh no, no you haven't. We're going on 2016, for crying out loud, yet that myth still persists. It's right up there with the assumption using a larger-than-original power supply with a 12VDC device will "force" it to "use more amps."

The load does what it will!

Watts, VARs, VAs? If it were that easy (it is), there wouldn't be trolls spreading lies on their scam sites, confusing/enabling/persisting these myths.

It got to the point where PCBONEZ (and others) got run off in that flamefest about computer supplies becoming "more efficient" with the addition of another active stage (the PFC booster). As was postulated in that thread, if the addition of that stage makes something "more efficient," why do those devices need heatsinks?

Attached Files
    Last edited by kaboom; 10-16-2015, 03:10 PM.
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Unfortunately, anything after nForce 2 chipsets from nVidia is very likely to have bumpgate problems.
      Wasn't that only with AM2 and later?
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Hilariously I've personally never seen an MCP61 die on me, that wasn't already dead when I pulled it out of the bin. But then I like to make sure everything is ventilated well.

I've had more problems with discrete NVidia cards based on the bumpgated chipsets.
        The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

probably actually caused by heatsinks either held on with tape or clipped on with no grease.

every board i get, i remove all sinks and put as5/mx4/arctic-ceramic on them.
          i also like to remove fans smaller than 50mm and put bigger passive sinks on instead.

Comment

You can't make any device consume power more "efficiently" simply by installing a PFC. The only thing PFC does is it makes the device appear as a resistive load to the grid. This only matters to the power distribution company, because you pay for the real power you use and not reactive or apparent power. I'll stop there as I've derailed this thread quite far now. But do a little research online on real/active/reactive power, and you will see what I mean.
            Originally posted by kaboom View Post
            Oh no, no you haven't. We're going on 2016, for crying out loud, yet that myth still persists. It's right up there with the assumption using a larger-than-original power supply with a 12VDC device will "force" it to "use more amps."

The load does what it will!

Watts, VARs, VAs? If it were that easy (it is), there wouldn't be trolls spreading lies on their scam sites, confusing/enabling/persisting these myths.

It got to the point where PCBONEZ (and others) got run off in that flamefest about computer supplies becoming "more efficient" with the addition of another active stage (the PFC booster). As was postulated in that thread, if the addition of that stage makes something "more efficient," why do those devices need heatsinks?
            Not a single time does Momaka say that it gets more efficient.
            You're just imagining something which is not there, just like PCBONEZ.
            In the thread you refer to I think I said 5 times that it DOES NOT increase efficiency.
            Yet him and several more, just like you in this thread kept imagining that something else was said.
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
              Not a single time does Momaka say that it gets more efficient.
              Right.
              I don't think kaboom was trying to start anything here, though. In post #18 ChaosLegionnaire thought that PFC does somehow improve the efficiency of a device. Thus I suggested in my post that it doesn't. kaboom simply reinforced that with a bit of his usual acute-but-effective sarcasm.

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
              Yet him and several more, just like you in this thread kept imagining that something else was said.
              Yeah, I remember a few older threads by PCBONEZ. Most had good info, but a few were just worthy with all of the heated discussion.

Comment

Ah, didn't catch that bit, thanks for pointing it out
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                X