Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitors on the Foxconn 6150BK8MC motherboard

Legend:
    White: Unknown (ends in "con", has an M in a square and an E in a circle, has OST-like vent, black/gold, x1)
    Brown: Chemi-con KZG 16v 1,500uf (x4)
    Yellow: Chemi-con KZJ 6.3v 3,300uf (x6)
    Blue: Teapo SEK 16v 100uf (x9)
    Pink: OST RLX 6.3v 1,000uf (x23)
    Attached Files

Re: Capacitors on the Foxconn 6150BK8MC motherboard

I got another sample of this motherboard and the unknown capacitor is an Evercon 16v.
    Which from what I've seen are formerly known as GSC a.k.a. Gunk Spewing Caps.
    Last edited by geforcefly; 10-01-2007, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geforcefly
      Legend:
      White: Unknown (ends in "con", has an M in a square and an E in a circle, has OST-like vent, black/gold, x1)
      Brown: Chemi-con KZG 16v 1,500uf (x4)
      Yellow: Chemi-con KZJ 6.3v 3,300uf (x6)
      Blue: Teapo SEK 16v 100uf (x9)
      Pink: OST RLX 6.3v 1,000uf (x23)
      aw.. chemicon kzg on the vrm input.. that's a hot spot and i would worry bout them..
      days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

I'm not as worried about the Chemicons as much as I am about the Evercon. Anyway, here's this machine's specs:

Antec SLK case (looks like the SLK2600 but in silver)
        -- ~25cfm airflow from intake and exhaust fans
        Antec Basiq 350W PSU
        Foxconn 6150BK8MC motherboard
        Athlon 64 X2 3800+ S939 @ 2.0GHz, 1.10v
        Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 (CPU max temp 45C/113F at max fan rpm)
        512MB PC2100 DDR (carryover from old P4 board) @ 2.50v
        One PCI slot used for a dial-up modem
        40GB hard drive

Comment

KZGs at the VRM input are probably OK - the ripple-current stresses are lower at higher voltage (12v). I'm not too sure about the KZJs at the VRM output - those must be improved versions of the KZGs. The only credible replacements I can think of for the VRM output are Rubycon MCZ, Sanyo OSCON, Samxon GC (?), Panasonic FM and maybe Nichicon HE/HZ. Definitely replace the Evercon and also the OST RLXs if you have the patience.

Comment

I've used LXZ and KMG's on the VRM side with no problems (two years and running).
            Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
            Zippy GSM-6600P
            Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
            Abit IP35Pro
            ATi HD4870

Comment

LXZs are very rugged, but have slightly higher ESRs - they're OK everywhere except at extremely high current, low voltage rails like VRM O/Ps. But KMG is GP-cap and probably not of sufficiently low ESR to handle VRM O/P filtering - I suspect the ripple voltage on Vcore will be fairly high and may even cause an early failure on the CPU, even if it runs fine now.

I do occasionally use KMGs in low-end PSUs when I need to squeeze in a 10mm cap, but that's about it.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I would recap the board but soldering is not my strongest point at this time. My main goal here is also to help inform others what caps are in the boards I run across before they buy said boards. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to start a thread of a list of current boards that have all good caps.

Comment

The only problem with that is that the caps vary between boards of the same make, model, and revision. All depends on what was cheap that day.
                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

OST RLX 6.3v 1,000uf (x23) < What a nightmare. I have a MSI 6797 that has 11 I need to replace. The ones near the heat sinks go out fast.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the UCC caps. From comparing the datasheets of various UCC and Rubycon caps, my theory is that they're probably the same caps, or at minimum they're using the same electrolyte. I can't prove it, but the specs are practically identical.

Rubycon MCZ == UCC KZJ
                      Rubycon MBZ == UCC KZG
                      Rubycon ZL == UCC KZE
                      Rubycon YXG == UCC KY

The MBZs and KZGs have both had a small number of reports of failing in hot spots, but that's so rare that I don't really blame the caps. I think those are just cases where the caps are being abused by the board design or other factors, and no cap is invincible. We don't hear as much positive press about KZG's because most recappers don't use them for repairs, so we only hear about them in regards to an OEM install on problematic boards.

If you do replace the KZG's, I'd use a more conservative series like KZE or ZL's. Those seem to be especially durable in hot spots, but maybe the lower ESR was necessary.
                      I think replacing the KZJ's would be pointless, but if you do then use something significantly different (not just MCZ's).

Comment

Originally posted by gdement View Post
                        I think replacing the KZJ's would be pointless, but if you do then use something significantly different (not just MCZ's).
                        Hello, and sorry about reviving a 5yo thread, but it's the only search hit I got on here.

I just acquired one of these boards, apparently new and unused, but one of the KZJ's is bulging slightly. It POSTs and enters the BIOS just fine at the moment.

Can anyone offer some advice as to what I should do with it considering the quote above?

I've practiced removing some on a known-bad board, but had a tough time getting them out.

Would it be bad to just try using it for awhile?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by crsgr View Post
                          I just acquired one of these boards, apparently new and unused, but one of the KZJ's is bulging slightly.

Would it be bad to just try using it for awhile?
                          Yes, it will harm the computer long term if you use it without replacing the bad KZJ. Change it out before using the new board or get a refund.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Replace all of the KZJs. they are a bad brand and will often fail without showing it. Use https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=142 to replace them.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I thought KZG are the ones that are crap. but KZJ/E's are ok
                              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

KZJ/E normally are OK but he did say a KZJ was buldged so it would be smart to replace all the KZG and KZJ in this case.

Comment

The junk series are KZG and KZJ. KZE are fine, though.
                                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I removed the 6.3V 3300uF Black/Gold KZJ. It pushed out the bottom too.

I think I can get the rest out OK, but putting new ones in without wrecking things is where I'm not so confident. We'll see...

Comment

Working...
                                    X