Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse TX-42F430S - Solid Orange Light - Wont turn on

Has anybody seen this problem?

When plugged in, this set's front LED is solid orange. The switch on the side won't work, nor will the remote power button. Just stuck on orange. Power supply is sending correct power to the mainboard, I think. I cant find a service manual. I check power to LDO regulators on the main board and they seem to be what I would expect to find. 5V, 3.3V, etc...

I read on some sites somewhere that this set gets locked up in some power saving mode. There are some things I will try from that site. Right now I'm kinda tired. I fixed a set earlier and I'm done for the day.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Re: Westinghouse TX-42F430S - Solid Orange Light - Wont turn on

Well, upon getting back to this set, here are the readings from the LDO regulators. There are larger regulators for the higher voltages such as 5V and 12V. I just want to verify that these voltages sound right.

u51

u53

u52

u65

u45

I also researched the known firmware issue with this TV that gives similar symptoms and could not find the older revision for my set.

Another key to finding this problem is that the two LED's on the main board stay on. I saw somewhere that the top one is supposed to drop out after board boots up.
    Last edited by Dgtech; 12-08-2012, 04:36 PM.
    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

The regulators look fine, non-adjustable regulators should have output 1.25V above adjust pin.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks Tom. These Westinghouse sets are a pain. They have so many problems.

Comment

Hey, I am working on this set now. Let me know if you found anything as it has been about a month.

Comment

To fix this problem, you'll need to do a search in google for:

westinghouse tx-42f430s firmware update

avs forum has a thread with many pages of this failure. It will have the directions on how to copy the firmware to USB and upload it to the TV. I didnt have much luck with it but someone else that I gave this set to did. If yours works after flashing it, make sure you post exactly what you did here for the next person. I tried two different USB drives and nothing. Make sure to note that as well.

Comment

I have had this TV sitting around for awhile, finally got to it. It was picked up off the curb.

Browsed the avsforum posts and seems like a bad cap on main board or firmware issue..

TC51 on main board (470uF 16V) was out of spec and high ESR. Cap visually looked OK. Replaced with a Panasonic EEU-FR1E471LB (470uF 25V) I had on hand. TV came on immediately.

No firmware update necessary in this case.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, this worked great. main 55.70E01.001g

Comment

I found this problem because I hate companies that build crap and pass off the failures to the public and refuse to recall and fix them. Here's the link to this after many months of my effort
                  http://www.avsforum.com/t/851860/lig...6181/id/292592

You'll see no one is giving me the credit for figuring this out but I did it first!
                  Dave Colglazier at orgwood@iaxs.net
                  Man it's still cold in my workshop!

Comment

The 470uF cap replacement works. It is difficult to replace, could not get the caps leads to desolder, don't know why. I soldered the new Panasonic cap to the leads left on the board and it it worked first time. THANKS to kevinm34232

Comment

My friend has this set, his mainboard has a SMD 470uf cap unlike most of the other mainboard revisions.

Wonder if we replace that it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
                        I have had this TV sitting around for awhile, finally got to it. It was picked up off the curb.

Browsed the avsforum posts and seems like a bad cap on main board or firmware issue..

TC51 on main board (470uF 16V) was out of spec and high ESR. Cap visually looked OK. Replaced with a Panasonic EEU-FR1E471LB (470uF 25V) I had on hand. TV came on immediately.

No firmware update necessary in this case.
                        THIS FIXED IT FOR ME!!!! THANK YOU!!! $2 part...$25 for technician to solder it in(I'll do it myself next time-I watched him and saw how to do it)...Got the TV for FREE! I now have a nice 42" Flat screen TV for $27 and a small effort.
                        I cannot thank you enough!

Comment

i have the same issue yet after letting, what i thought was a broken tv, sit for 4 months it worked again when i plugged it back in. Worked for 3 months now off again. figure it is a bad cap but why would it work again and for 3 months???

Comment

replace the 470uf cap and problem solved, it probably sat long enough for the ESR in the cap to come up enough to allow it to function. These units also have major issues with firmware corruption too.

I have done 3 of these now and they have all been fixed easily with replacing the mainboard 470uf cap and all 3 are still up and running solid.

Comment

na
                              Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-13-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                na
                                ?
                                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

na
                                  Got something to say, do it!

Comment

no mystery, was simply posted on wrong thread, na means non-applicable.

Comment

no mystery, was simply posted on wrong thread, na means non-applicable.
                                      All good, was being facetious

Comment

Just chiming in and resurrecting this thread, I had the TV with surface mount capacitors. Would power off after 5-10 minutes of usage, replaced 470 uF and we're back in business: http://imgur.com/a/lR7FT

Comment

Working...
                                        X